YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2500139 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#8821  November 05, 2018, 12:15:41 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
EDIT: Also Destiny 2 is free until November 18th. IDK if anyone has mentioned that yet.

Vanilla Destiny 2 is pretty average once you finish the campaign. That's when you really start the actual grinding process of finding the best equipment you can get and there wasn't much incentive to do that. There was also the matter that the improvements at the end of Destiny 1 were altered or removed for Destiny 2 for some dumbass reason just to slowly add them back again. Forsaken definitely brought back some of the stuff that made D1 great but lol DLC(But at least it now comes with the Year 1 expansions). Word of warning, if you decide you want to have a long term investment with this game, be prepared to shell out for the DLC expansions. The new areas and features are going to be locked in those and Bungie isn't going to cater much to those that don't buy their DLCs.
How much do you think the expansions come out to total?
#8822  November 05, 2018, 01:23:33 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Same as a full game....per year.

Forsaken expansion is a whopping $40 atm but at least has the expansions from Year 1. However, there's an annual pass for $35 more that will include two other expansions for Year 2. And from the looks of it, this will be the case all over again for Year 3.

Conclusion, you REALLY have to like this game to stay invested in it.
#8823  November 08, 2018, 11:59:34 pm
    • Germany
Fallout 76 already has mods lol.

lui

#8824  November 09, 2018, 07:33:50 am
    • USA
Same as a full game....per year.

Forsaken expansion is a whopping $40 atm but at least has the expansions from Year 1. However, there's an annual pass for $35 more that will include two other expansions for Year 2. And from the looks of it, this will be the case all over again for Year 3.

Conclusion, you REALLY have to like this game to stay invested in it.

i mean, a free game is a free game. it doesnt hurt anyone to download it and it's at the very least a good time waster.
#8825  November 09, 2018, 07:44:33 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
It's not a bad game, it's just one that you have to commit to to get the most out of it.
#8826  November 10, 2018, 03:47:47 pm
    • Germany

Soo thats from the Chinese Blizzard Conference.

At 2:08 they explain that they now focus on mobile gaming because people in the company stoped to play on desktop anymore, and are mostly playing on mobile now, because of that they moved there best devs to the Mobile teams who will now create mobile games of all of there IP's.
#8827  November 16, 2018, 02:37:37 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
#8828  November 20, 2018, 01:29:43 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
Super Robot Wars T announced
https://www.frontlinejp.net/2018/11/19/super-robot-wars-t-announced/
Featuring Cowboy Bebop, Mazinger Infinity, the Gundam trilogy, G Gundam, GaoGaiGar, MightGaine and a few others

It also comes with a phone game, SRW DD, that features Devilman, Jeeg, Patlabor, Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans and more, and is an actual strategy RPG and not a linewars game like X Omega was.
Neato
#8829  November 20, 2018, 10:07:42 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Maaaan, you got me all excited and made me think I had missed Patlabor being announced for DD. But it's not in it! >:[

Here's the series list for Super Robot Wars T, the new mainline entry to the series that will release on PS4 and Switch:
  • Invincible Robo Trider G7
  • Aura Battler Dunbine
  • New Story of Aura Battler Dunbine
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack - Beltorchika's Children (units only)
  • Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: Skull Heart (units only)
  • Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam: The Steel Seven
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS: The Last Red Shoulder (units only)
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Big Battle
  • The Brave Express Might Gaine
  • The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Gunbuster
  • Martian Successor Nadesico: The Motion Picture - Prince of Darkness
  • Getter Robo Armageddon
  • Mazinger Z: Infinity
  • Arcadia of my Youth: Endless Orbit SSX
  • Magic Knight Rayearth
  • Gun X Sword
  • Expelled from Paradise
And here's the series list for Super Robot Wars DD, a freemium game for smartphones:
  • Devilman (manga)
  • Steel Jeeg
  • Getter Robo Armageddon
  • Mazinkaiser
  • Super Electromagnetic Robo Combattler V
  • Super Electromagnetic Machine Voltes V
  • Aura Battler Dunbine
  • Armored Trooper VOTOMS
  • Blue Comet SPT Layzner
  • The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
  • Zegapain
  • Zegapain Adaptation
  • Valvrave the Liberator
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
  • Full Metal Panic!
  • Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
  • Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
Bolded entries are debuting series.

"Units only" essentially means "we're grabbing a mech(s) from this series and then literally nothing else, and then giving said mech to a character from a fully featured series" (for example, SRWV has the three extant Evangelion movies, but 3.0 was unit-only; absolutely none of the plot or other non-mech elements are used, it was only included so that Shinji could upgrade from Unit 01 to Unit 13.)

There's an English language trailer out for SRWT:

which means that, much like the previous two PS4 games, there will be an English-language release of the game for Southeast Asia. It's not that surprising: Bandai Namco has been able to expand the market of a pretty niche series by opening it up to both the SEA region and to Westerners who import that version of the game (which they are well aware of; they want that to happen, because they can't directly sell these games in the west due to all the rights issues). Hopefully the Switch version will have an English-language release too!

SRWDD has also been confirmed to have a SEA release, but there's no English trailer out for that yet, so here's the regular one:

The SEA will almost certainly be in English (by doing an English release, both here and for the console games, Bandai Namco only has to make a single translation instead of multiple translations in Korean, Tagalog, etc., and English literacy is pretty high in that region, so it all works out). Buuuuut who knows how this will work for anyone outside those regions? You can't exactly import a cell phone game...

Also, here's some details about the gameplay: it's a fully fledged SRW game, nothing like the weird, pre-existing Plants vs. Zombies-esque gacha mobile game. It very much appears to be a successor of the games made for Nintendo portables; if I'm not mistaken, the Unicorn animations shown in the trailer are even derived from the most recent 3DS game!

They are however experimenting a bit with the gameplay: instead of the standard turn-based system SRW has always used, they're trying out a FFT-esque system where units take turns depending on their speed. There's also some kind of auto-play feature for new and casual players that automatically moves your units and attacks with them. Also interesting is that at the start of the game, you'll pick a universe to start out in, and each universe has an assortment of different series (e.g., there's a world with all the classic Gundams, Evangelion, and Getter Robo; and there's also a world with Gundams SEED and 00, Code Geass, and Full Metal Panic). Eventually, all the universes and mechs/characters will converge into a single storyline; seems like a good way for them to add in new universes and thus, new series, throughout the game's lifetime.

As for the microtransation side of things: surprisingly, all units are unlocked normally, just like a regular SRW. What is distributed by a gacha system is instead the power up parts that would normally be obtained by defeating enemies in previous games (I also saw someone mention that the pilot cut-ins that appear during attack animations are another gacha element, but I haven't seen this anywhere in an actual news article). It all seems pretty fair, and seems like a worthy entry to the series!
#8830  November 20, 2018, 11:35:57 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
The SEA will almost certainly be in English (by doing an English release, both here and for the console games, Bandai Namco only has to make a single translation instead of multiple translations in Korean, Tagalog, etc., and English literacy is pretty high in that region, so it all works out). Buuuuut who knows how this will work for anyone outside those regions? You can't exactly import a cell phone game...

Also, here's some details about the gameplay: it's a fully fledged SRW game, nothing like the weird, pre-existing Plants vs. Zombies-esque gacha mobile game. It very much appears to be a successor of the games made for Nintendo portables; if I'm not mistaken, the Unicorn animations shown in the trailer are even derived from the most recent 3DS game!

They are however experimenting a bit with the gameplay: instead of the standard turn-based system SRW has always used, they're trying out a FFT-esque system where units take turns depending on their speed. There's also some kind of auto-play feature for new and casual players that automatically moves your units and attacks with them. Also interesting is that at the start of the game, you'll pick a universe to start out in, and each universe has an assortment of different series (e.g., there's a world with all the classic Gundams, Evangelion, and Getter Robo; and there's also a world with Gundams SEED and 00, Code Geass, and Full Metal Panic). Eventually, all the universes and mechs/characters will converge into a single storyline; seems like a good way for them to add in new universes and thus, new series, throughout the game's lifetime.

As for the microtransation side of things: surprisingly, all units are unlocked normally, just like a regular SRW. What is distributed by a gacha system is instead the power up parts that would normally be obtained by defeating enemies in previous games (I also saw someone mention that the pilot cut-ins that appear during attack animations are another gacha element, but I haven't seen this anywhere in an actual news article). It all seems pretty fair, and seems like a worthy entry to the series!

That's an interesting choice to make, characters are typically the lifeblood of a mobage of this type so not at least having pilots is bold

As for how to play it, any of my fellow FGO JP alumni or Granblue Fantasy players can tell you it is as easy as downloading Qooapp and using that (or you can set up a Japanese account for your respective device but who needs the hassle)
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#8831  November 21, 2018, 05:24:02 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
Did Captain Harlock's VA get old or is this someone else?
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#8832  November 22, 2018, 12:58:17 am
    • USA
Probably going with the original VA, who's pushing 80.

I'm gonna use the rest of this post to again say that Cowboy fucking Bebop and the Devilman manga are gonna be in Super Robot Wars games. And also those games will have English language versions.

it's so beautiful :bigcry:
#8833  November 22, 2018, 02:47:04 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I apologize if there's some obvious reasoning behind this, I admire the spritework but I never got around to playing these games despite wanting to.  But Cowboy Bebop is clearly neither Super nor Robot in genre.  The Swordfish is just so out of place to me.  The giant animatronic that killed Pierrot le Fou feels less weird to have fighting Gundams and whatnot than Spike in his mini-fighter, at least its not tiny.

Don't mistake that for me complaining, I'm once again interested in one of these titles, but it makes as much sense as adding Vegeta as an Oozaru to the mix?  Or I suppose a more size-related comparison, just a random TIE Fighter.
#8834  November 22, 2018, 06:07:03 am
    • USA
They've been experimenting with non-giant robot stuff for quite a while now; even back in the early days they had weird things like regular sized Master Asia fighting on foot against giant robots (sure, they were recreating something that happened in the source material, but it's still an usual sight in these games), but that kinda thing was for a single stage only, and it only happened like, twice? Or something? Then, towards the mid 00s they started including as fully featured series/playable units human-sized, non-giant robot stuff like Tekkaman Blade (which is a powered armor, ala Iron Man). And in the past two console games, they've had series like Space Battleship Yamato and Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, which feature absolutely no giant robots whatsoever; they now seem comfortable with including scifi stuff if there's something they can use as a playable unit.

As an aside, the existing mobile SRW game has had a lot of crazy inclusions, like Mega Man and Godzilla(!!!), much crazier than any of these recent announcements; however, that's not exactly the same thing as appearing in a mainline SRW game because that game doesn't have any real interaction between any of the characters, no storyline, none of the draws of the mainline games. It'll be interesting to see how they tackle stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Devilman in mainline games, though!
#8835  November 22, 2018, 06:58:53 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
See, Godzilla makes perfect sense for something like this, once they run out of interesting robot ideas, go for other iconic large objects of destruction.  Mega Man on the other hand is perhaps half the size of a pilot of one of these mecha, never mind the machine itself, so that's just bizarre, but whatever.  Master Asia makes sense for sure, as you say, that's something he does, one of the standout scenes from G Gundam without seeing it in forever is him divekicking a skyscraper in half length-wise.

I applaud them experimenting, I've been really wanting to play one of these games since I learned that you can punch out anyone with Big O.

But just Spike in his Swordfish feels odd to me.  I'd rather they go for, like, Kaiju or some large warships.  Heck, you have the Bebop from the same series, Jet's big clunker.
#8836  November 22, 2018, 08:23:04 am
    • USA
Heck, you have the Bebop from the same series, Jet's big clunker.
Don't worry, there's not a chance in the world that it's not getting in too; it'll probably be one of the battleship units! Probably gonna have very low offensive power, but it'll balance that with 3 sets of very powerful support spirits (with Jet as the main pilot, and Ed and Ein as the subpilots). Maybe with a repair or resupply module on top, who knows. It'll be great!

And Faye's ship will no doubt be another unit too!
#8837  November 24, 2018, 10:28:46 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Maaaan, you got me all excited and made me think I had missed Patlabor being announced for DD. But it's not in it! >:[

Here's the series list for Super Robot Wars T, the new mainline entry to the series that will release on PS4 and Switch

How I wish they was going to be on the vita, I hope they still do release it into the vita
#8838  November 24, 2018, 10:42:34 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
That's entirely possible but unlikely. The Switch has taken the Vita's place as the second physical SKU for Japanese publishers so they'd either release it digitally (which removes the import option for Western players) or months down the line like a lot of other publishers. Couple that with the fact that Namco Bandai in particular no longer seems interested in making a Vita version of any of their games and you can call it a wrap.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#8839  November 24, 2018, 10:43:55 pm
    • USA
Also, they specifically announced T for PS4 and Switch in the promo vid, so I don't think they're going to reveal that it's also on Vita at some later date or anything.
#8840  November 27, 2018, 06:59:07 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA