YesNoOk

Marvel Cinematic Universe: THE END (until the next movie comes out) (Read 2837411 times)

Started by Iced, July 15, 2012, 03:54:44 am
Share this topic:
Re: Marvel Cinematic Universe: Straight Outta Wakanda
#3681  September 11, 2018, 04:17:12 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

Does that mean one or more these Disney execs is a feminist extremist?

No wonder Disney is slightly evil.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#3682  September 11, 2018, 06:01:43 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Hollywood in general is very left leaning.
#3683  September 11, 2018, 06:46:18 pm
the people who digged up the old tweets anbd made them viral knew that and did it with that purpose.
But that's exactly what's so bad about it. The guy who dug it up is the guy who did Pizzagate. The problem here is that Disney is so afraid of bad publicity that it will do things like that at the first bullshit of a known conspiracy nutcase, a guy who caused a man to show up at a pizza place and shoot it up with guns, which is just plain awful. Pretty much everyone that's not alt right agrees that the punishment was nonsense and that people would have understood if they had let it go (unless your name is Roseanne "fully of shit hypocrit" Barr)
Yes, people should be able to tell the difference between Roseanne's tweet and Gunn's tweets, because Roseanne still doesn't admit that her tweet was terrible while Gunn has been apologising about it for a decade. Gunn's tweets shouldn't be considered a risk for bad publicity.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:49:48 pm by Byakko

lui

#3684  September 12, 2018, 12:05:37 am
    • USA
considering that people think that the tweets themselves are reason enough alone for him to get fired, people seem to forget that alot of people that work with disney have done some shady shit that they've more than made up for.

Robert Downey Jr. needs no explanation whatsoever, we all know if he can be the poster boy for Disney despite the fact he did some massively bad shit, there's no excuse to be told. Disney made a ball call no matter how you see it. Gunn didn't deserve it at all and if you think that he still does for decade old tweets then you need to seriously let go.
Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:19:01 am by Walruslui
Captain Marvel Trailer!!!!
#3685  September 18, 2018, 03:01:56 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
its out yo
#3686  September 19, 2018, 07:28:55 am
  • The Absolute Worst
    • Canada
    • Skype - do.not.even.ask
    • randomselect.piiym.net/
finally someone who has the courage to punch bus grannies
now that's a superhero i can get behind
#3687  October 20, 2018, 11:08:45 pm
So Iron Fist last week, and Luke Cage is canceled too now, but Netflix is "super happy" with their performance ? Either we can expect Heroes for Hire or all Marvel Netflix is going away fast.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#3688  October 21, 2018, 01:16:26 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I'm really not sure what to think anymore; all the proposed theories as to why Luke Cage was cancelled seem to have at least one issue that implies that that theory is not the case. There's so much crazy intra- and inter-company drama going on here that I'm just gonna list all the things that are known for sure, to hopefully help begin to start narrowing things down:

- Marvel Studios was once a division of Marvel Entertainment, until Feige got sick of being micromanaged by Marvel's massive piece of shit CEO and was able to make Marvel Studios an independent entity answerable only to the higher-ups at Disney. However, Marvel Television, Marvel's TV production arm, which makes all of their MCU shows (among othets) remained with Marvel itself.

One of the more immediate and visible effects of this was on the TV side of things: Agents of SHIELD, in its first season (and to a lesser extent, its second) had a fair amount of crossover between the movies. Beyond just having Coulson as the lead character, you had an occasional Nick Fury appearance, as well two episode with Sif, and a few more minor characters crossing over (SHIELD agents who were in Winter Soldier, e.g.). That thing stopped pretty much immediately as soon as Marvel Studios became independent, with Coulson hanging on as the only remnant of what was supposed to be a series with a deep connection to the movies. Likewise, Agent Carter (the series) was put together before Marvel Studios broke off, so it not only got to have multiple different movie characters appear in the show, but it also had the writers of the Captain America movies as executive producers! That kinda thing just seems unthinkable now, given the frosty relationship Marvel Studios has with Marvel proper.

The Netflix shows, in contrast, seem designed specifically so that they don't really need to have much of a connection with any of the movies; this also holds true to Runaways and Cloak & Dagger; the separation generally feels pretty natural, since most of the movies focus on big, world-ending plots, whereas the basic promises of all of these shows depend on things being relatively low-scale and down-to-earth. That doesn't mean that there isn't the occasional weirdness, though (e.g., the weird refusal of the Netflix shows to have characters almost always avoid referring to the movie superheroes or events by name, instead using weird nicknames like "the green guy", or what have you. Also, I don't think Runaways made a single reference to *anything* else in the MCU?) Many of those are sylistic quirks, but that can't explain everything, and I think it again points to the strained relations between the two Marvels.

- the new Disney streaming service is getting those new, Marvel Studios-produced Loki and Scarlet Witch series; these (presumably) are going to be much, much, much, much, much more connected with the movies than anything we've seen so far. And perhaps Disney/Marvel Studios would prefer to have only Marvel Studios-made series on this new streaming service? There are other reasons why it doesn't seem likely that Luke Cage was cancelled so that it could get revived on this new streaming service, but I do think the weird relationship between the two Marvels is a major factor in everything being considered.

-    I haven't seen anything that nailed down exactly why Iron Fist was cancelled, but there are sources talking about what happened to Luke Cage: apparently, this was an extremely late decision made due to creative differences with Netflix and the showrunner (and maybe also Marvel). They had already assembled a writers room for the third season, and were about to start preproduction. So I'm hesitant to put much stock in the idea that Marvel and Netflix want to combine the two shows into a Heroes For Hire type situation, because they absolutely wanted to make a third Luke Cage season; ultimately, they just were unable to agree upon everything... unless, perhaps, those creative differences involved Netflix and/or Marvel wanting the showrunner of Luke Cage to add Iron Fist as a co-lead or major supporting character (and probably also Colleen Wing), and maybe wrap up any lingering plotlines from Iron Fist's show? In which case, having failed to retool Luke Cage's show into a "Luke Cage show and also Iron Fist" type deal, they may want to start fresh and have a brand new creative team build a brand new show with the two as co-stars?

So, yeah. Right now I'm pretty suspicious of the idea that either show was cancelled in order to move them to Disney's streaming service, or to combine them into a Heroes For Hire show. I do think, however, that the later is a definite possibility: it just wasn't planned to be this way. Marvel would obviously like to keep making those shows, and if they can get Netflix to finance the production of a combined show, they'd definitely do it. But who knows!
#3689  October 21, 2018, 01:46:14 am
Marvel wanting to move the Netflix shows to their own streaming service could be plausible from a big money point of view, but it sounds super weird because it's reasonable to assume they do understand these shows are a success (or a failure, Iron Fist s1) because of the guys doing it (both the directing and the money), and that taking it out of Netflix would just result in a sharp cliff drop. Unless they're, like, reaaaally confident they can do better, which sounds like a really big way to not only fuck up the shows, but also the trust in this brand new streaming service right off the gate. Surely they wouldn't be that dumb ?
#3690  December 04, 2018, 09:30:03 pm
    • Italy
    • mark.nar@hotmail.it

She's coming :)
#3691  December 05, 2018, 12:36:48 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
So who do you think will be the next Marvel superhero to hit the big screen in Phase 4?  Go ahead, guess.

Did you say Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu?  No, no you didn't you liar because nobody could have guessed that.

I mean, don't get me wrong.  I'm totally up for Shang-Chi to get the MCU treatment.  But there are a lot of characters I would've thought they'd tap before him.
#3692  December 05, 2018, 12:40:14 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Well Shang Chi owns, and its nice to get some meaningful asian representation.
#3693  December 05, 2018, 01:37:46 am
  • appreciate life, i love you - Lil B
    • downloads.khinsider.com/?u=44610
She's coming :)
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJO4LPkcadM[/youtube]

Am I the only one who thinks this movie will miss the mark? My excitement has dropped since the release of the first trailer. IMO, I think the lead character's voice & delivery is missing something. This is coming from an avid MCU fan.

Side note - I smiled with joy regarding Shang Chi news.

THANK YOU BASED GOD
#3694  December 05, 2018, 02:43:35 am
Am I the only one who thinks this movie will miss the mark?
For the first time on the Internet, the answer to that question is "probably". She's a no-nonsense soldier with a bit of pride who's probably meant at first to come off as never stepping out of the ranks (but strong), considering she's also likely to take over Captain America's leader position later on, and then when she discovers she's part human, that'll probably be the tipping point where she starts evolving as a character. She'll have several movies to figure out what kind of human she is, grow her own personality and identity, like how it went for Captain America.
#3695  December 05, 2018, 02:51:33 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

I only remember Shang Chi when I was trying to get into Heroes For Hire. Sadly bought the last 3 issues for their tie in with World War Hulk. It was awful but I did like Shang Chi. Marvel loves to really kill a team that's not selling.

Any notable potential villains he'll run into? I hope we get a proper Mandarin this time.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#3696  December 05, 2018, 05:20:36 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
hell fucking yeah Shang-Chi!

For the first time on the Internet, the answer to that question is "probably". She's a no-nonsense soldier with a bit of pride who's probably meant at first to come off as never stepping out of the ranks (but strong), considering she's also likely to take over Captain America's leader position later on, and then when she discovers she's part human, that'll probably be the tipping point where she starts evolving as a character. She'll have several movies to figure out what kind of human she is, grow her own personality and identity, like how it went for Captain America.
I gotta assume that's all gonna happen in the first movie, once she regains her memories; her overall character arc over the course of the movie appears to be primarily her rediscovering herself and her life on Earth, leading to her going against the Kree—who had lied to her and used her as a weapon—and saving the world from the Kree-Skrull war ("I won't fight your war, but I'll end it").

Of course, depending on how exactly she gets sidelined for 20 years before returning to Earth in the next Avengers, she might have a similar experience as Captain America did, with all the missing time and stuff!

Any notable potential villains he'll run into? I hope we get a proper Mandarin this time.
His biggest villain is his dad, who was originally Fu Manchu. Like literally, it was the actual character of Fu Manchu, Marvel had the rights for him at the time; eventually, long after Marvel lost the rights to that Fu Manchu, the character was renamed to Zheng Zu, and made a bit more distinct. But even so, that character is still pretty steeped the racist-ass Fu Manchu character he once was, so the movie version should hopefully be a good opportunity to course correct from all that.
#3697  December 05, 2018, 06:20:06 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

His biggest villain is his dad, who was originally Fu Manchu. Like literally, it was the actual character of Fu Manchu, Marvel had the rights for him at the time; eventually, long after Marvel lost the rights to that Fu Manchu, the character was renamed to Zheng Zu, and made a bit more distinct. But even so, that character is still pretty steeped the racist-ass Fu Manchu character he once was, so the movie version should hopefully be a good opportunity to course correct from all that.

I don't know who he is so I had to research and discovered a few interesting things in wikipedia.

The most infamous incarnation of the character was MGM's The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932) starring Boris Karloff and Myrna Loy. The film's tone has long been considered racist and offensive, but that only added to its cult status alongside its campy humour, Grand Guignol sets and torture sequences. The film was suppressed for many years, but has since received critical re-evaluation and been released on DVD uncut

Sax Rohmer, without any prior knowledge and understanding of Chinese culture, decided to start the Fu Manchu series after his ouija board spelled out C-H-I-N-A-M-A-N when he asked what was the most dangerous competition to the white man. During the time period, the idea of the Yellow Peril was spreading in North American society. Western people had feared that Chinese people would elevate drug hysteria while simultaneously work harder physically and graduate colleges at higher rates. [1] The image of Orientals “invading” Western nations became the foundation of Rohmer’s commercial success, being able to sell 20 million copies in his lifetime.

Needs to check youtube for Fu Manchu.  :book:

Also with recent events from China's ban on gene CRISPR editing cause some mad scientist actually made Gataca babies recently I'm actually thinking Disney might take some inspiration from this.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/nov/26/worlds-first-gene-edited-babies-created-in-china-claims-scientist

sailormoongalaxy said:
#3698  December 05, 2018, 12:26:34 pm

Well, they did some change the characters dramatically to be move loveable for the average moviegoer, especially those from Thor.
#3699  December 07, 2018, 02:04:55 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
Its here boys
#3700  December 07, 2018, 02:21:00 pm
Spoiler: Title (click to see content)