YesNoOk

How to add a back roll to a character with forward roll (Read 1876 times)

Started by XANDERAC, November 22, 2018, 06:05:09 pm
Share this topic:
How to add a back roll to a character with forward roll
#1  November 22, 2018, 06:05:09 pm
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
I did a search on here and I didn't see anyone asking about this, but I've been putting together a compilation for myself and I'd like for most of the characters to have the same movement abilities accessible to them.

Since it's a CVS style build, most of my characters have power charge, and rolling, but some only have a forward roll and not a back roll. I'm just curious to know if it is a simple task of adding a back roll to a character that already has the animations for it. I guess a good set of examples here would be Koldskool's creations, which have power charge, dodge, forward roll, but no back rolling.

If anyone could help it would be very appreciated  :)
Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:24:03 pm by XANDERAC
Re: How to add a back roll to a character with forward roll
#2  November 22, 2018, 10:46:30 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
It IS simple, if the character doesn't have a properly back roll animation, you can use his normal forward roll in reverse, or turn the sprites. It's the same as a forward roll but you use velocity with a negative value. You can even copy the code of forward roll, paste it and change only the animation, state number and the velocity to a negative value and it will work.
#3  November 22, 2018, 11:44:04 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
so I assume I'd just have to add a new command as well to match it then? with a B+a+b in the commands, and I don't know if I would have to add a new state in the CNS as well, I've never really messed with a lot of the coding myself, aside from a few minor things, I'll probably look through a character that also has the existing code and see if I can tamper with it.
#4  November 23, 2018, 12:45:50 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Yes, you'll create a new command for it, and a new state in the CNS. You can take a look at my characters if you want, they do have forward and back roll.

http://deathscythe.co.vu/chars
#5  November 23, 2018, 05:33:41 am
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
Thank you so much, I'll certainly give this a try, I actually have your R.Mika and Ingrid already
#6  November 26, 2018, 10:02:38 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
So I wanted to add a bit more of what's happened since you helped me out last time, so far I've found the backroll coding from your R.Mika, copied and pasted it into Koldkool's Angel for testing, and so far it works, but there's no sound, after image and the sprites are facing the wrong direction, I'm not sure how to go about flipping the sprites or fixing how this is.

I've provided a bunch of the original code here before I altered any of it, as well as a gif to show what's happening so far.
Gif
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

from Koldskool's Angel:

from CNS

from CMD

R.Mika Roll back Code:

from system.st

From CMD
#7  November 27, 2018, 10:42:21 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
The AfterImage for both rolls (forward and backward) on my R. Mika are coded on -3 states, but you can add it normally to the roll state. You can copy the AfterImage code from the roll forward and paste it.

About the wrong direction, you can fix it in two ways:
1. you can flip the sprites in Fighter Factory. Go to the animation tab, search for the roll backward animation, there's an option called "flip", you can choose H (horizontal), V (vertical), or HV (both). In this case, change all the sprites to H and it should be good.

2. you can reverse the animation, for example, if the roll forward animation is like this:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Make the backward one like this:
8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Is up to you to choose which one looks better.

Pics:

How to flip sprites:

Results:
Flipped:

Reverse animation:

I personally think reverse animation is better because your character will be still facing the enemy when the animation ends, while with flipped they will be facing the other side.
Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:03:46 am by Hakase
#8  November 27, 2018, 07:40:50 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
Just curious, but do I need to also create a new animation group so I don't affect the forward roll animation as well? I also think that the Reverse looks better than the flipped, I only used the same animation as I already had existing for the forward roll in my case, so I assume that's also why the animation doesn't play properly? Also thank you again for your help it's very much appreciated
#9  November 28, 2018, 03:45:34 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Yes, create a new animation. And no problem! :)
#10  December 05, 2018, 11:23:42 pm
  • Just A Dude...
    • Canada
@Hakase I wasn't sure exactly how to just reverse the order in Fighter Factory but I wanted to thank you again before marking this as solved. Apparently when I copied over the code from your R.mika to this Angel I must have missed some of the code, so I just readded the code for the after image they had on the character by default and it seems to work, also figured out how to get the sound to play for the roll so I can't wait to finally add this to a lot of the characters missing it on my roster.

Just showing what I ended up with, thanks again a bunch Hakase!