YesNoOk

Megaman Zero help: Getting hit (how should he get hit?) (Read 1945 times)

Started by RedDragonCats17, December 07, 2018, 06:56:42 am
Share this topic:
Megaman Zero help: Getting hit (how should he get hit?)
#1  December 07, 2018, 06:56:42 am
  • Part-Time MUGEN creator
    • USA
    • Skype - reddragoncats17
    • reddragoncats17.weebly.com/
Okay, this is a dilemma. Originally I was planning on making Zero get hit like in MegaMan Power Fighters 2. However, I only saw 1 Vs. match, idk how the characters get hit in that game.

Y'see, this fullgame is a boss rush game, like Serio's Castlevania Fighter, but with more secrets inside. However, this game also has a Vs. mode and a survival mode, so if I give Zero and the other characters invincibility frames, that'll make the Vs. matches long, but that'll also make the boss fights unfair.

So I'll either have to find some kind of reference for the characters' get hit states, or I'll have to nerf the bosses.

Do you guys have any other options? I REALLY need some help on this.
Re: Megaman Zero help: Getting hit (how should he get hit?)
#2  December 07, 2018, 07:18:36 am
  • Furry Fighting Game Trash
    • Canada
You can make it so if it detects a boss character, a variable is set off so that the invincibility frames are longer or shorter whatever you prefer
#3  December 07, 2018, 08:34:22 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
You would need to use a variable to indicate whether its player controlled, or CPU controlled so that you could use 2 different hit states.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#4  December 08, 2018, 01:26:59 am
    • USA
And how do I code such variables?
#5  December 08, 2018, 08:21:07 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
It would be exactly the same as AI. There's more than a few ways to do it. But if you have an AI system in place, you have the var already set up.
If not, I'm sure there's more than a couple tutorials/methods on the forum to set up AI. Pick your favorite and if you run into probs we can help iron them out.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#6  December 08, 2018, 09:25:50 am
    • USA
Oh this isn't about A.I, matter of fact I'll get to that once Zero is actually finished.

I'm talking about Zero getting hit, like when another player hits him, or when a boss hits him.

Lemme explain again. This game is a boss rush game, meaning that you're going to be fighting bosses from almost all of the MegaMan games. There is also a Vs. mode, which you and a friend can fight against each other. So this is a dilemma because I don't want to make a Vs. match too long, but at the same time I don't want to make the boss fights unfair. So I'll either have to buff the characters' damage, or nerf the bosses and get rid of some of their moves, which both are extremely hard because I don't wanna go too high, but I also don't want the boss fights to be too easy.

Think about it this way: If you are using MegaMan Zero, and a friend of yours is using Model ZX, you're not going to be using charge shots all the time. You're gonna use a slash combo to, some how, grind your friend's health bar to the bottom. If I add invincibility frames from the boss fights, you won't be able to get so many hits. It is likely that you'll only do 1 hit, and that has to be used for charge attacks.

So, how can I make Zero, along with other characters, get hit in this game?
#7  December 09, 2018, 02:55:19 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I didn't read any of your reply because you don't get what I mean.

You need to find out if a person is controlling your char, or the computer is.
This is exactly how AI works. The AI works only if the computer is controlling it. Get it?
How ever your AI is set up to set a variable that means the computer is in control is the variable you want.
If you do not have AI set up, look into how people find out if the computer is in control.
#8  December 09, 2018, 04:22:57 am
    • USA
Actually I do know what you mean, and my problem isn't about A.I or whether or not Zero is controlled by the computer. I'm not even working on his A.I right now.
#9  December 09, 2018, 11:57:40 pm
  • Video Game Veteran
  • Can you do it? SUREYOUCAN!
    • USA
    • gcnmario.free.fr
We know that, but what we're suggesting is, since you want to make a state of the character getting hit, you need to determine that if its the player hti state, or CPU hit state somehow.

As you know, player hit states and CPU hit states are way different in Mega Man games. If its player controlled, you want a regular player hit state. If its CPU controlled, then you want a state where the character is flashing, i suppose.

"You must defeat my flaming
dragon punch to stand a chance."
#10  December 10, 2018, 01:16:34 am
    • USA
I guess I don't have that much of a choice. Aight, I have Seravy's A.I. tutorial up, and I'll put in the var(59). What do I do from there?
#11  December 10, 2018, 03:09:51 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
If you’re coding this for 1.0+, you could just use trigger1= ailevel

Unless I’m totally misunderstanding..

Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:13:56 am by ink
#12  December 10, 2018, 08:42:49 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I guess I don't have that much of a choice. Aight, I have Seravy's A.I. tutorial up, and I'll put in the var(59). What do I do from there?
#1 Make sure you dont use Var(59) in your character already.
Please do not set in to make the AI right now. My point was to get you to find the method of seeing if the PC was in control. Once you get this going, you'll have your method to work on AI later.

I wouldn't suggest making dual states for hit reactions. What you'll want to do is use var(59), or AILevel, inside all of the hit reaction states. You'll code the regular reactions. Which everything should be set up properly. And you'll duplicate chunks of code, or create code, with your method of detection.

We can't really tell you specific things until you get there. The blinking white/invisible effect, the stun-bounce effect. Those we can help when you need it. But not knowing your specific problem or what you want it to do exactly stops us.
You have to remember, we dont play this game. Maybe a few people. But when you say something like, "I need to make the blinking effect". I dont know exactly what it looks like. You'll have to describe it perfectly how mugen will produce it on screen.
#13  December 12, 2018, 12:23:12 am
    • USA
How MUGEN produces it? I'm not sure how to put it in words, but all I could say is that when you get hit, you'll bounce back, and you'll be blinking white for a few seconds. The best reference I'd use is N64Mario's Omega Zero, if you have it already.

It looks something like this: (I hope you don't mind the frame rate, I have a crappy computer)

https://streamable.com/sflgy
#14  December 13, 2018, 05:55:09 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
You need to look up the PalFX threads and either use a NotHitBy or switch animations to one without hitboxes.
I think the NotHitBy will be the way to go. It seems like P1 in the video can do whatever during the invincibility frames. The nothitby would go in Statedef -2.
#15  December 13, 2018, 08:58:39 am
    • USA
I'd rather work on the palfx first. I don't wanna wait for a certain amount of ticks until I'm allowed to hit again while I constantly slash at either Zero or Omega Zero, y'know what I mean?

So how do I code this exactly? I don't want to copy Omega Zero's code and put it into my Zero, because that's just lazy, unless N64Mario himself recommends that (I mean, he is here).

Hold the phone: There's one thing that we need to address before we move on to the nothitby. I'm planning on putting this Zero in my regular MUGEN, and making a nothitby after he was hit basically makes him a copy of Bluecross' Ultimate Zero and N64Mario's Omega Zero.

Now N64Mario's Omega Zero is NOT A MUGEN FRIENDLY CHARACTER. Take a look at this match of me playing as SF2 characters trying to beat Omega Zero. This'll show how cheap Omega Zero is, not just because of his AI, but also because of the nothitby that's in his CNS. The only characters that could beat Omega Zero in a player's hands are N64Mario's Vent and Aile, Bluecross' Ultimate Zero, Ahuron's Ultimate Armor X, and Fusion's X and Zero, as these are characters that have the same exact nothitby function as Omega Zero.

I quickly realized this, and this was a third reason of my dilemma.

https://streamable.com/jrk8k
Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:52:38 am by RedDragonCats17
#16  December 14, 2018, 11:42:19 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
You can make it so if it detects a boss character, a variable is set off so that the invincibility frames are longer or shorter whatever you prefer
Did you switch to try to do something different and we all missed it? You're talking like you have some new problem. We've been talking about this the entire thread. I'm confused as to what you're confused about. This is the whole thing we've been talking about; Making different hit reactions for different type characters.

What palfx threads did you look up?
When you say, "So how do I code this exactly?"  You should know how to add code into your character by now. It's palFX. It's going into Statedef -2. YOU decide it's triggers and that's it. There's no secrete. It's 1 chunk of code.
Instead of the bullshit, "how can I do it", I expect to be reading something like, "Ok so I have my palfx in statedef -2 and I have these few triggers but this problem keeps popping up. What's the trigger I'm looking for"

I feel like you haven't tried at all. Because if you had, you'd be asking specific question instead changing ideas a week later.

"I quickly realized this, and this was a third reason of my dilemma."
^^^This is the same problem as the one you started with.
#17  December 17, 2018, 10:39:14 am
    • USA
I've searched all over the guild, and I did find out about the gametime% trigger. Zero did blink, but I want him to blink for a certain amount of times after he is hit.

I've tried hitshakeover and hitpausetime, and for hitshakeover Zero does blink white when he's hit, but only once. For hitpausetime Zero doesn't blink at all.

So there's gotta be something else to put in this PalFX code. The question is: What is it?

(before you ask, JustNoPoint made a thread about the best way to apply blinking. Cyanide posted some PalFX with gametime%10 = 0 and a variable)
#18  December 18, 2018, 09:25:49 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Because the blinking can go on during any animation during any state, you'll need an external timer.
Something that will count how long the character's been blinking.
And because the blinking is also going to activate a NotHitBy, and whatever else, You'll want it to be easily read.

I'd say create an explod or a helper that destroys itself after a certain amount of time. It'll spawn the exact same way the blinking will activate. But the blinking will keep going until the explod/helper is gone.
There's other ways to make timers. A var could work just as well.