YesNoOk

Destroyself and clones (Read 1305 times)

Started by Fixer, January 10, 2019, 10:51:46 pm
Share this topic:
Destroyself and clones
#1  January 10, 2019, 10:51:46 pm
  • The Eye of Perfection
    • Brazil
I've heard i can fix the character cloning itself bug using destroyself into the helper causing the problem but how it needs to be written to work correctly? and how do i know which helper is causing the issue?
It's not my character, it's one character i downloaded and am trying to fix, this is one of the helpers:

[State 5100, Helper]
type = Helper
trigger1 = Time = 0
trigger1 = (sysvar(1) > 14)
helpertype = normal
name = "Crater"
ID = 51000
stateno = 51000
pos = 0,0
postype = p1
facing = 1
Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:38:00 am by Fixer
Re: Destroyself and clones
#2  January 10, 2019, 11:31:08 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 The helper probably lacks a nothitby, hitoverride or both. Juding from the parameter labels, I am sure that helper shouldn't even be hittable in the first place since it's likely a graphical FX.
#3  January 11, 2019, 01:23:23 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
When do the clones happen and is this character from a fullgame originally?

Is there a state 51000? If there is, does the animation it calls exist?
#4  January 11, 2019, 01:31:55 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
One thing I do to kill helpers is put

[State 0, DestroySelf]
type = DestroySelf
trigger1 = time = 5 && ishelper
trigger2 = animelem = 3 && ishelper
ignorehitpause = 1

Into State 0. I don't use any helpers that should ever go into state 0, and when a clone happens, they end up in state 0. This is just a super back up. Adding it hurts nothing. You WILL see the clone for a moment, but it'll die.

If you're not sure what helper is causing this issue, how do you know what helper to post the code for?
Follow all of the states' changestates if there are any. When you get to the end add the destroyself.
If it is a helper that's used just as an explod, you may want to remove the hitboxes from the animation. If the animation is used in a second state, you should duplicate the animation and have that 2nd one not have any boxes.

Use Ctrl+D in game to cycle through the players to the helper(s).

Try to make a set up where you can reproduce the mess up. There are plenty of ways a clone can happen. We need to know as many details as possible.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#5  January 11, 2019, 04:13:26 am
  • The Eye of Perfection
    • Brazil
"Odb718" i did not know about this trick, thanks, and i posted this helper at random because all the others have a similar code.

"ink" surprisingly the state 51000 did not existed (but i've done that before reading your post), then i created it and used a destroyself in the end and it worked, no more clones, i don't know if i have done it right but it worked, if someone could explain that i would be grateful.

Also it worked with another character cloning itself with a ko-flash helper.
#6  January 11, 2019, 04:40:39 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
That’s what I thought, If a helper goes into a invalid state it will create a clone. There are a few other ways too as Obd718 said.

The main reason I could see this happening is if a character was made for a full game originally and is moved to regular mugen. In a full game coders will often add onto common1.cns, making some things not work in regular mugen. If this sounds like your situation you can find all those lost state in the full games folder:data/common1.cns

Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 05:11:51 am by ink
#7  January 11, 2019, 03:44:20 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
ikn, saying my name wrong is a 3 day ban. :P

If the clone is constantly happening, it may be because of your character. Sometimes a custom state will switch to P2's state, but it wont exist. Same thing with animations. There are ways to make sure P2 has a custom animation and then you'd use that. If that animation doesn't exist, it will use a default animation from P1.

A lot of fireball reflection moves cause clones. Things that just make helpers disappear cause all types of issues if one or the other character isn't coded well.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#8  January 12, 2019, 01:37:49 am
  • The Eye of Perfection
    • Brazil
It was being caused while hitting the opponent with the strong kick and other moves.