YesNoOk

Hitbox Discussion I guess (Read 64195 times)

Started by TheFclass97, May 23, 2017, 04:43:13 am
Share this topic:
Re: Hitbox Discussion I guess
#81  August 24, 2018, 12:12:39 am
  • Every night fucks every day up
  • Every day patches the night up
    • Puerto Rico
: <

Well, my intention was serious but eh, what can you do?
#82  January 14, 2019, 07:06:31 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Time to bump this with something I think is quite interesting. We've talked about weapons before in this thread, but what about something a little bigger?

Reading through Umezono's reviews of the October CotM nominees, specifically the review of Gordeau by OHMSBY, he mentions how some of Gordeau's hitboxes are 'absolutely enormous', and that's a fair point, so what would you do differently?

OHMSBY's version:

UNIST version:

Template:

Animation reference:

You'll notice the hitboxes are active on a later frame in the UNI version, but since that's the original, that's what I decided to use for the template (plus it's easier to see the weapon's range).

Have fun if you want to attempt it (let's get at least a couple of serious ones, hah).

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#83  January 14, 2019, 07:16:23 pm
  • A human that exists sometimes.
    • USA
basically if it was in my game

do the thing
#84  January 14, 2019, 07:24:39 pm

Here's my horrible attempt at hitboxes.
#85  January 14, 2019, 07:46:36 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Not exactly who or how this character plays. But there'd be a massive delay on recovery to make up for the massive hitbox advantage.
The first hit box frame would last 1 tic. The end hit box would be determined in game and edited down to probably 2 tics, maaaaybe 3.
I should have extending his blue boxes to match where his arm first travels in the 1 tic attack frame, but that'd be worked out after a few tests.
Spoiler: LARGE GIF INSIDE (click to see content)

----
Yamori X, why would you be able to hit all that open blue above the ax?
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#86  January 14, 2019, 07:54:41 pm
  • Embrace Whateverness
  • Presented by ZAIA
    • Brazil
    • thefaelduarte@hotmail.com
Eh...

#87  January 14, 2019, 08:29:17 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
idk about that blue box on the staff... seems awkward cuz if an attack hits that blue box on the staff, damage will be dealt to the fighter.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#88  January 14, 2019, 08:37:12 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
That's how weapon attack CLSNs usually go for.
#89  January 14, 2019, 10:26:17 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
ya, so they cant just throw out unpunishable hits. kof provides the best example of this.

in a game like bbctag i feel like theres enough tech that it doesnt make gordy that bad on his own, but then again, gordeau/ruby is a popular team precisely cause their scythes control so much space with minimal risk
#90  January 14, 2019, 10:45:09 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:49:36 pm by nick.
#91  January 14, 2019, 10:49:46 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#92  January 14, 2019, 11:06:46 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
#93  January 15, 2019, 08:10:45 pm
  • For honor!

As I've said many times before, even weapon based fighting games know that weapons are to be treated as an extension of the body. Yet there will always be someone who expects realism in a genre where the laws of gravity are horribly warped and regular people throwing fireballs are the norm.
Iroha stripped for me
Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:14:53 pm by Alpaca-San
#94  January 16, 2019, 01:17:05 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
So at what point do we consider large disjoint hitboxes to go from carefully crafted character design to bad design?
If the character is designed to control space with large disjoints, couldn't that be considered as part of their kit for zoning purposes?

Last I remember Gordy's large disjoints were considered part of his character identity.
Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:21:56 am by vgma2
#95  January 16, 2019, 01:25:07 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 I normally just go with "roughly half the hitbox needs a hurtbox" route because a lot of fighters I play do this with weapon based attacks and it's what I use as a basis for some of my own creations whenever they use melee weapon based attacks. Excessively safe zoning is pretty broken, which is why why gigantic hitboxes that cannot be traded against are usually frowned upon. They should still beat out non-reversal based unarmed strikes anyway because they still have more hitbox than them, but something like a Shoryuken that is meant to beat out other attacks should still be able to hit through them as well.
#96  January 16, 2019, 01:48:36 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Wow cool. Wasn't expecting this many replies.

If an attack is going to be long-ranged but slow and punishable, you'd want it to have pretty decent priority during its active frames so it doesn't get beaten out by a jab or a quick poke, and then extend the hurtboxes out for a few of the recovery frames that follow so it can be punished if blocked.

I forgot to mention this, but the above is Gordeau's 5C (standing heavy) in Under-Night, which is active from frames 29-34, though the attack's hitboxes shrink a little vertically on frame 32. His hurtboxes are not static leading up to frame 29, as the further into the attack he gets, the more his hurtboxes extend outwards. For 12 frames, he looks like this:

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.