YesNoOk

QOTD (Read 3293687 times)

Started by Valodim, August 26, 2007, 08:25:30 pm
Share this topic:
Re: QOTD
#16581  December 26, 2018, 10:54:30 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
And I realized that he was color blind…he did the on-line test to confirm it…and we’d all gone for 15 years without noticing it - and might never have noticed it without the Wii video game console!
#16582  December 31, 2018, 06:36:08 am
  • I'm already Tracer
    • Canada
Hit or miss
I guess they never miss, huh?
You got a boyfriend, I bet he doesn't kiss ya
He gon' find another girl and he won't miss ya
He gon' skrrt and hit the dab like Wiz Khalifa
#16583  December 31, 2018, 09:36:02 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the pharmaceutical industry earns more from smoking than the cigarette trade.
#16584  January 04, 2019, 12:10:09 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen-if-you-instantaneously-moved-Uranus-so-that-it-was-touching-Earth

Then your Mom would be touching Uranus. What follows is a lot of puns. You’ve been warned.

OK, we’ve got ourselves a truly wonderful Everyone Dies™ here.

Uranus is around 14.5 times more massive and around 4 times larger (by diameter) than Earth. So, if you happen to be lucky enough to be on the side facing Uranus, you’re going to see a massive greenish disk occupying a massive chunk of the sky, like the Hulk mooning you RIGHT in front of your face.

Briefly.

Then Earth will be pulled toward Uranus, like the planetary equivalent of a suppository (it gets worse).

Unlike Earth, with its paper-thin atmosphere, Uranus has an atmosphere that’s roughly 1/8th of the thickness of the world. This means that Earth is able to sink well into the atmosphere without striking anything “solid”. Simple Newtonian physics gives you an acceleration of around 5.6m/s2 of Earth toward Uranus. This means that people will stay stuck to the ground (where the acceleration is 9.8m/s2 in the opposite direction) and not sucked into Uranus (seriously, these puns just write themselves). The whole planet will move toward Uranus at ever increasing speed.

The problem with this simple analysis is that the acceleration on the Uranus side will be far greater than that on the far side. The resulting tidal forces will rip Earth apart.

But for a bit, anyway, Earth will keep it together. This will be an amazing show as Earth travels the 6,000 km or so through the atmosphere toward the mantle. The whole time Earth will be tearing itself to pieces, or digested if you will (you won’t), but I think there’s a reasonable chance that some people live long enough to watch massive quantities of light gases from Uranus’s atmosphere pushed into Earth’s atmosphere. That means if you’re really lucky, you’ll get to asphyxiate from the toxic gases from Uranus (uh huh) while watching the Earth get literally shoved into Uranus (I went there twice).

After roughly a day of travel (it’s really hard to calculate this - how does one estimate the friction of Uranus? Ok…I’m really sorry…that one literally just happened) the tattered remains of Earth hit the mantle. This layer is a plastic, flexible solid (like feces, really) so if any of the Earth survives, it will “impact” here and mix in with the mantle. Denser iron and heavy metals will continue to sink toward the core, where they will eventually settle months to years from now. Lighter materials from the Earth will boil outward and “outgas” into Uranus’s atmosphere. (No, seriously, this is the technical term).

On the outside of Uranus, there is now a massive blemish on the cloud tops. The aforementioned outgassing of colored gases, as well as debris from Earth, disrupt the uniform greenness of Uranus, and leave a huge brown eye on the surface of Uranus (had enough yet?) .

Parts of Earth that were on the far side of the impact are thrown by the collective rotations of the two bodies into orbit around the larger world, making a giant ring around Uranus (aren’t you glad you kept reading?)

In the end, we’ve totally pounded Uranus (I’m nearly done, really) but due to its flexibility and the relatively slow speed of impact, Uranus doesn’t crack, but rebounds into its original enormous round shape…like your mom.

Everyone Dies™ - thankfully, as they will no longer have to suffer through the diarrhea of puns this answer issued forth.
#16585  January 08, 2019, 05:03:18 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Breaking News: all flat earth believers converted to cube earth believers, because they heard it is 6 times better than a flat earth.
#16586  January 29, 2019, 05:57:22 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
sorry im new here and have no clue where to post this but if theres anyone that is skilled with mugen and mugen fighter factory i was wondering if i could get a nsfw commission done for me will pay cash for it i would like to get a snivy or a eeveelution such as flareon leafeon or eevee that would be compatible with umbreon for mugen or queen of light if interested let me know thanks also if this doesnt belong here could tell me4 where this should go then please and thank you
I sense HOF potential in this thread.
#16587  January 29, 2019, 12:57:38 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Its got a long way to go but I don't know if I want to see it  :pwn:
#16588  January 29, 2019, 01:18:07 pm
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
Hit or miss
I guess they never miss, huh?
You got a boyfriend, I bet he doesn't kiss ya
He gon' find another girl and he won't miss ya
He gon' skrrt and hit the dab like Wiz Khalifa

Hit or miss
I guess they hit or miss, huh?
You got a boyfriend, I bet he hit or miss ya
He gon' find another girl and hit or miss ya
He gon' skrrt and hit the dab like hit or miss, ya!
#16589  February 05, 2019, 12:11:24 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#16590  February 09, 2019, 01:16:16 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
the way major developers trickle down characters one by one stage by stage and keep on tweaking stuff back and forth is pretty much like mugen to me except for the money part.
#16591  February 12, 2019, 02:25:25 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
That's...natural in game development. How is that a Mugen only thing?
#16592  February 12, 2019, 04:09:44 pm
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
the way major developers trickle down characters one by one stage by stage and keep on tweaking stuff back and forth is pretty much like mugen to me except for the money part.
That's...natural in game development. How is that a Mugen only thing?

Trick question: it isn't, it never has been and it never will be.

I was taught this a while back by my Computer Tech teacher, who said that every single game that has ever existed on planet Earth is supposed to be going slowly in its development. If a game attempts to make features and gameplay elements too quickly it can lead to mistakes and errors that the developer needs to dig through and solve. The slower the progress, the less time it takes for the troubleshooting process.

What kakkoii is saying is like comparing the making of a sandwich to the making of filet mignon. Sure, it will use different ingredients and may have a different process to make it, but it's still FOOD!

Saying that the development of all games is "just like MUGEN except with money thrown in" is by far the LAZIEST and most INCORRECT statement I've heard in a while.

(sorry about that little rant of mine. i tend to do that sometimes...  ;D )

lui

#16593  February 13, 2019, 07:14:07 am
    • USA
have you ever heard of hyperbole my guy? we all know he doesn't literally mean that to a T
#16594  February 13, 2019, 11:55:06 am
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
Yeah, I know of it. It's just that it seems like way too broad of a term to use to describe the entire game industry and its development process.
#16595  February 13, 2019, 06:14:21 pm
I never talk about the entire game industry, we talked about fighting game

and I never meant anything about sandwich or times needed to make a good game.

before (before you were born), games came as closed project, you buy a final tested version of finished games , how long they were in development we don't know and not involved better be long and thoroughly tested otherwise the company will lose money, get mocked in negative publication and somebody get fired, what we get were  mostly trouble free games,with cartridge and hard copies developer didn't have chance to right their wrong through patches, hidden extra characters were  planned from the start, just locked or hidden away so when they got unlocked they won't cause too much problem with the rest of the roster.

but now you buy game that is growing, by introducing something new periodically onto an existing game they disrupt the balance everytime again.
so now consumers are willing beta testers of an open project game more like mugen,

now stuff that fillet mignon into your...
Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:17:58 pm by kakkoii superhero
#16596  February 13, 2019, 06:31:52 pm
goddamn fancy millennial.   :computer:
#16597  February 13, 2019, 08:32:34 pm
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
I never talk about the entire game industry, we talked about fighting game
:mwhy:

Look, it doesn't hide the fact that ALL games go through a relatively similar process. Even then, not all fighting games are just "MUGEN with money thrown in" as you've stated before. Fighting games can be millions of times different and have all these different features that make the game stand out more, but what you've said attempts to go against that.

and I never meant anything about sandwich or times needed to make a good game.

I know that, since you weren't the one saying it. What I used was a thing called a "comparative metaphor", which COMPARES the differences between two things and two other things. I'm glad you didn't get it.

before you were born, games came as closed project, you buy a final tested version of finished games , how long they were in development we don't know and not involved better be long and thoroughly tested otherwise the company will lose money, get mocked in negative publication and somebody get fired, what we get were  mostly trouble free games,with cartridge and hard copies developer didn't have chance to right their wrong through patches, hidden extra characters were  planned from the start, just locked or hidden away so when they got unlocked they won't cause too much problem with the rest of the roster.

Listen, I know of those games. It may be hard to believe but I absolutely adore the kinds of games you're mentioning, compared to other "mainstream" games that I usually despise. As much as I want to get more games like this, it's just impossible since technology has pretty much evolved in an exponential fashion. Nonetheless, this arrangement of words coming from your end has almost nothing to do with the original ... -ahem- ... "argument".

but now you buy game that is growing, by introducing something new periodically onto an existing game they disrupt the balance everytime again.
so now consumers are willing beta testers of an open project game more like mugen,

Again, it hearkens back to the idea of technological advancement.
Also MUGEN is almost nothing like this, seeing that its only supposed to be a base template of the engine's capabilities. Game engines like MUGEN are more open because they're INTENDED to be "fiddled with", unlike actual games.

now stuff that fillet mignon into your...
                     :pfht:

Wow, you seem to REALLY have something against filet mignon, don't you?
Also, c'mon. If you're going to make up an insult to say to my face, be a man and finish it!
(or don't. It's up to you, really.)

goddamn fancy millennial.   :computer:

Huh. That's a new one.  :confused:
(edit: Also holy moly, you're 40! No wonder you'd say that!)

Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:24:56 pm by Joey S.
#16598  February 13, 2019, 10:04:28 pm
I'm not gonna take any side in this discussion but i find the use of the word "millennials" to be absolutely cringeworthy and just reeks of elitism. I hate that word.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#16599  February 13, 2019, 10:19:07 pm
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
I'm not gonna take any side in this discussion but i find the use of the word "millennials" to be absolutely cringeworthy and just reeks of elitism. I hate that word.

It's alright to have a neutral perspective on things, especially arguments like this.  ;D

Also yeah... "millennial". Such a broad and misused term. I'm not even too sure if I am one myself!
#16600  February 13, 2019, 10:31:01 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com

It's alright to have a neutral perspective on things, especially arguments like this.  ;D

Also yeah... "millennial". Such a broad and misused term. I'm not even too sure if I am one myself!

I agree cause some people say it's like super late 90's to now. The more people use that term, the less power it has.