YesNoOk

[Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread (Read 2973529 times)

Started by Formerly Hoshi, April 21, 2010, 09:51:37 pm
Re: [Theme Thread] CVS Sprite thread
#6501  March 17, 2019, 05:54:02 am
  • stressed weeb
    • USA
    • derpyhawk@gmail.com

Critiques? How would one go about animating this?
#6502  March 17, 2019, 04:48:41 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I think it's just an issue of refinement, it doesn't look as clean or official when standing next to the official Ryu sprite. The only other thing I'd say is that he's missing an ear and the gold isn't as reflective as it should be. I think the proportions look fine honestly.

This is a generic forum signature.
#6503  March 17, 2019, 07:55:56 pm
  • stressed weeb
    • USA
    • derpyhawk@gmail.com
Would you recommend changing  the colors of the arms and the shading?

edit, added an extra color to robe and changed shading on it and the arms and legs
Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:58:09 pm by 100_Sad_Pandas
#6504  March 18, 2019, 01:25:10 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I think the colors are fine. It mostly has to do with the way the shading and outlines look.

This is probably the point where you would need to gather more than one reference from CvS2's sprites and compare/contrast how the outlines/shading looks on the official sprites, and then translate them into yours. To make it easier, you could use Akuma/Ryu as a reference for skin/hair, M.Bison as a reference for the reflection of Asura's golden arms and legs (and for Asura's pants, since they almost have a similar shape/look to them), and maybe any of the robed characters for Asura's rags.

Wish I had something better to say, but you gotta trust your own eyes for this and really play around and see what kinda shape the light takes when it hits an object, and how the outlines are drawn/anti-aliased/etc.
This is a generic forum signature.
#6505  March 18, 2019, 02:26:37 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!
Sprite size is fine. But why using so many colours if the distribution of them are nothing nearly CvS shading?

- Hair looks like Sindel in CPS2.
- Gold arms looks like a giant latex glove painted in yellow. Same for the kneepads.
- Needs muscle definition.

Any way, I strongly suggest you to look at Kiwi's tutorial. And if you need any suggestion/advice/etc feel free to say it here. Someone may be helping you :)
I swear there was something cool here!!
#6506  March 18, 2019, 02:53:43 am
  • stressed weeb
    • USA
    • derpyhawk@gmail.com
Thanks guys I'll try to incorporate those critiques into the next one! haha I was so proud of it before but I guess I should start coloring and shading all over again

Could someone link Kiwi's tutorial?
#6507  March 24, 2019, 05:55:58 am
  • stressed weeb
    • USA
    • derpyhawk@gmail.com

tried making a really rudimentary animation, if possible I would have liked to animate the hands but i can't draw hands lmao
any critiques? am trying to get better
#6508  March 24, 2019, 06:00:02 am
  • Objection! Sustained!
    • Russia
    • mitia.pogorelov1@yandex.ru
Have to say, that looks pretty good.
The only real suggestions I can give you are to animate his hands and to make his mouth open earlier and for longer.

lui

#6509  March 24, 2019, 06:02:08 am
    • USA

tried making a really rudimentary animation, if possible I would have liked to animate the hands but i can't draw hands lmao

that's pretty well made, keep it up
#6510  March 24, 2019, 10:44:28 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...

Good job!
the result is pretty OK, yest just the face and habds need some work.
Also the head seems not to be linked to the body, perhaps working on neck anim??

Overall is some great job!

I'm curious about your method for animating.
What software and what steps to make this kind of anim?

I'm still struggling myself...
#6511  March 24, 2019, 06:48:55 pm
  • stressed weeb
    • USA
    • derpyhawk@gmail.com
Thanks guys, will def try to improve upon the face, neck, and hands

So I was looking through different graphics threads and I saw that when people wanted to animate something they would take the original sprite and use the select tool to just move parts of the original sprite in the manner they wanted so I tried to emulate that. Basically I took the first sprite I took of Asura, duplicated it and then moved his body down and shifted his legs in the way I wanted it. Then I took that second sprite and duplicated that one, and then shifted his body and legs more along with his arms. I kinda just repeated that process for like 7 frames. Then I'd go back through each sprite and clean it up, redrawing and coloring where I needed to. Sorry if that doesn't really make sense haha I'll try to take screenshots next time of the process. I used photoshop for the whole thing and then Fighter Factory Studio to animate it

#6512  March 24, 2019, 11:16:27 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Thanks guys, will def try to improve upon the face, neck, and hands

So I was looking through different graphics threads and I saw that when people wanted to animate something they would take the original sprite and use the select tool to just move parts of the original sprite in the manner they wanted so I tried to emulate that. Basically I took the first sprite I took of Asura, duplicated it and then moved his body down and shifted his legs in the way I wanted it. Then I took that second sprite and duplicated that one, and then shifted his body and legs more along with his arms. I kinda just repeated that process for like 7 frames. Then I'd go back through each sprite and clean it up, redrawing and coloring where I needed to. Sorry if that doesn't really make sense haha I'll try to take screenshots next time of the process. I used photoshop for the whole thing and then Fighter Factory Studio to animate it

No problem.
It's well explained. So basically I have simillar method.
I'm still interested in finding a way to make the switch between step A and step B as fast as possible.
With A = spriting and B = checking the anim
#6513  March 25, 2019, 12:12:12 am
  • stressed weeb
    • USA
    • derpyhawk@gmail.com

Tried fixing up the arms a little bit to make it look more natural. Gave the hands 3 frames of animation but I think I messed up in making each frame noticeably different than the last in the left hand but I like the right hand. Fixed neck too and added some extra frames to make him look a bit more wrath-y
#6514  March 27, 2019, 11:02:04 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
#6515  March 27, 2019, 11:45:55 pm
  • stressed weeb
    • USA
    • derpyhawk@gmail.com
Haha no worries man that looks fucking awesome, it's way better than what I had.
#6516  May 02, 2019, 12:29:20 am
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
I had a sudden urge to make a sprite of ChunLi in this outfit :P

#6517  May 08, 2019, 01:33:36 am
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
The urge comes from Red Bull.
#6518  May 08, 2019, 02:39:53 am
  • Dreams Demand Hustle
    • USA
Kiwi Apple flavor > everything else

I'm loving the first Chun Li for the color palette that you chose
#6519  May 08, 2019, 06:03:55 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
The left sprite has more colors so it obviously look better. The one on the right has palette reduced to 15 colors to match the official cvs sprites.

However, now when you mentioned it, I noticed that I fucked up something with that 15 colors palette. This sprite seemed to look better on my laptop.
My laptop's screen must be badly calibrated and the colors are mangled somehow. I need to fix this.

Thanks,anyway :D

-----------------------------

Another one.

Ibuki SFV.
Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:53:23 am by sabockee
#6520  May 21, 2019, 10:37:53 pm
  • Legend now but still learning
    • USA
    • http://cvsnb.deviantart.com/
Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:43:22 pm by C.v.s The Abstract