YesNoOk

What keeps you going with your project/s? (Read 2227 times)

Started by rgveda99, March 14, 2019, 07:19:24 am
Share this topic:
What keeps you going with your project/s?
#1  March 14, 2019, 07:19:24 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
So many have started but quit in the end.

So what keeps you motivated and never quit with your art, Mugen, Openbor or any other gaming engine?

What makes the rest to continue even when things get tough (even getting demotivated from fellow gamers from the same anime/comic/movie/gaming community)?
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
Re: What keeps you going with your project/s?
#2  March 14, 2019, 07:21:42 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
Offline life can be very stressful for me, so, having a hobby allows me to keep my passion alive and helps me express myself on a more positive level.
#3  March 14, 2019, 08:05:16 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Offline life can be very stressful for me, so, having a hobby allows me to keep my passion alive and helps me express myself on a more positive level.

Yeah. That's one of the perks having passion projects you love doing. You get that 'in the zone' moment and also express yourself freely without having to worry about social anxiety.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#4  March 14, 2019, 10:47:22 am
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
It might be a bit hard for me to say since the project listed in my sig is supposed to be my first MUGEN project ever, but I'll say this:
  • I am constantly thinking about what my game will look like in my head, and usually don't let the whole "isn't as perfect as you imagined" thing get me down.
  • I also need to point out that I am merely discovering MUGEN here with my project and yes, I know that trying to immediately make a full game can be a god-awful idea and lead nowhere, but I will try my best to figure out how the 20-year old game engine works on my own. And rest assured I can always look here if "figuring out on my own" doesn't cut it for one thing or another.
  • (Plus, I have friends new and old that are helping me out on making it. That ALONE gets me motivated!)

TiE

#5  March 14, 2019, 11:24:12 am
  • used the search button
    • Germany
I make / made a few things for the og xbox.
I usually come to hate my projects during the making & get bored with looking at the same stuff again & again.
Tweaking here & there, just to think that I would basically do it from scratch again, if I could bring myself to even burn more time...

When the initial motivation is drained & it gets nuisiating, I just want it off my back. But at the same time, I don't like to quit. Especially not stuff already announced.
I force myself (sadly not right from the start) to do 1 thing at a time.
As just one thing is done pretty fast.
So you see it happened & can leave that particular part behind you.
I try to do things thoroughly & only once.

As most people here, I usually do this on weekends. So I just do the "5 minutes trick" when it gets hard.
Just do 5 minutes or even just start the app you need to use & load the last part you worked on...
This way I'm already there & can do something. So usually it's more than 5 minutes. Which is the plan.

Also I consider it training. Even if I'm not satisfied with what I mash up, it counts toward this & eventually will make similar processes easier / quicker in the future.

I'm not scared to ask for help. Something I had to learn as well.
You might be surprised to what content people are willing & able to help.
But not asking means not getting an answer.

Additionally I try to prevent imagining how cool this will gonna be.
Because that will give you the satisfaction prior to the real result. Making the result useless for you.
That's how our brain works.

I write down what I plan on the way, though.
IMHO Forgetting is - next to placeholders - the most annoying part in any project.
Eventhough not knowing what, you will recognize that something is missing.
That amongst the small (I do it later) details is the crap killing projects for me.

Other than that I agree. It's the support of people believing in your work. Those who help you gather stuff and / or eagerly wait for the result.

Last but not least is to deliberately take breaks.
Even if you just did "only" 5 minutes or even if you could / should / would like to do more this day - don't overdo it.
You finished an aspect today? Excellent!
Leave it that way.
Don't start another part, you won't get far with today & if a month's break is needed, then take it!

You are the only one judging, so why put pressure on yourself? Don't bother with: "Ugh, I need to finish it.", when this is your free time! Because free time means exactly that. Time you choose to spend the way you want. No obligation, there is plenty of that in daily life already!
[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff
#6  March 16, 2019, 03:48:24 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
If you don't feel there's anything of worth to what you're doing in your heart, then it's best to drop it and do something else, because no matter how much effort you put into it, it probably won't go as far as it could otherwise. Don't be afraid to just stop working on a project if there's no deep urge to do it, and don't let it be just work by rote because you think you want to do it.

GLB

#7  March 16, 2019, 12:55:41 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Mugen has been a part of my life for 14 years. So I'm constantly thinking about possible projects on the side. It's just lacking a computer and proper motivation.

What kept me going a while back was the fact that others depended on me (full game works/collabs etc.) That and seeing others enjoy my creations. After a while I wasn't even using my stuff, only opening mugen to test it and apply feedback, then release.
#8  March 17, 2019, 05:39:28 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Last but not least is to deliberately take breaks.
Even if you just did "only" 5 minutes or even if you could / should / would like to do more this day - don't overdo it.
You finished an aspect today? Excellent!
Leave it that way.
Don't start another part, you won't get far with today & if a month's break is needed, then take it!

Yeah. I learned how to take breaks too. Short and long ones. I don't even touch my art work for 2 days sometimes even when its 80 to 90 percent done. Being on the computer for so long causes eye strain and mental fatigue. Right now I just finished working with Sailor Mars' new throw with 5 frames that took at least 2 weeks to finish. I could finished it in possibly 3 or 4 days but I'd like to keep my sanity and have fun in the real world. Decided to go on a week long break this month. And will be continuing this week again.
sailormoongalaxy said:
#9  March 18, 2019, 12:28:21 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Leaving a legacy
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#10  March 18, 2019, 01:22:41 am
  • "VS. Style Debuts - CEO"
  • Death is the start of a brand new cycle
    • Brazil
    • Skype - emperorzankuro
    • https://shinzankuro.carrd.co/
Passion.
- Want to commission me for a artwork? Just come here
- Donations is welcome
#11  March 18, 2019, 04:06:01 am
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
I usually neglect a full game, and then start a brand new one, and attempt to go back to it later. And repeat.

don't do this.
:D
this website is stupid
#12  March 31, 2019, 05:23:48 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
You're gonna watch this midway and ask yourself what's whaling and animal conservation got to do with this?

One thing that did caught my attention was when she said  'Turning passion into action.' Highly recommended to watch the whole video.

sailormoongalaxy said: