YesNoOk

[WIP] Diary - Feb 6 (Read 726537 times)

Started by Ricepigeon, January 30, 2011, 09:14:19 pm
Share this topic:
Re: [WIP] RicePigeons' WIPs (IZ Youmu, Incident Zero demo build)
#461  February 28, 2019, 04:12:07 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
With Iku being released, I've been working on the next IZ character: Youmu. The biggest change to Youmu from GR is that her Spirit Level mechanic has been removed, so her gameplay is a bit more simplistic this time around.

Completely reworked the way Insightful Sword functions and is now her Unique Skill. Instead of a counter like it was in the source games and GR, it now functions as a parry.

Crescent Moon Slash (623p) isn't a new move by any means, but the biggest change is that it's now air usable, which she couldn't do in neither Soku nor GR.

Intolerant Avici (63214p), Youmu's command grab Alt Skill from Soku. Unlike Soku, it has no automatic followup, but doesn't scale anywhere near as hard nor does it push the opponent as far from Youmu, making it more suitable for starting combos and adding to Youmu's pressure game. Unlike Soku, Youmu will always switch sides with the opponent regardless of which version is used.
Re: [WIP] RicePigeons' WIPs (IZ Youmu, Incident Zero demo build)
#462  March 07, 2019, 08:11:46 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
Taking the time to go back and fix a few things in the previous IZ characters and decided that while I was at it I'd address something that was bugging me...

Decided to completely redo Yukari's train spellcard from scratch. I was initially satisfied with the way it turned out, but over time it started to feel a bit out of place, like I had deviated too much from the move's AoCF counterpart, so the following changes were made to it:
  • Now costs 2000 Power. Damage has been scaled up to match the new cost, and the command has also been changed to the more complicated QCB,HCF+p motion.
  • The train now has its own hitbox, instead of sharing one with Yukari. Likewise, the train now also spans an entire screen width, instead of only hitting the area in front of Yukari.
  • Animation timings adjusted. In general, the move now has a longer startup, and a shorter recovery time
  • No longer startup invincible; however, Yukari now has invincibility starting when the train first appears, until it explodes.
  • As a side effect of the above changes, the train now persists on-screen when using the Type-C alignment's Dash Cancel, instead of prematurely preventing the explosion as it currently does.

Due to this, Yukari will be getting another lv 1 Spellcard to replicate this move's old functionality.
Re: [WIP] RicePigeons' WIPs (IZ Aya Shameimaru)
#463  March 22, 2019, 03:54:11 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
Hope you all enjoy fake news because the next character is none other than Aya Shameimaru herself.

So just as a rundown, Aya is going to be a charge character, so what better way to show her off than with... a non-charge motion Special? Anyway, Gust Fan is her staple projectile lifted straight from SWR/Soku. Unlike the source game, however, she can now fire them at different speeds, instead of all versions being identical.

Also, keeping in line with what was initially started with Iku, Aya has received somewhat of a makeover in terms of her default palette, which was redone to more closely resemble her colors in the more recent Touhou games. Do keep in mind the color separation is still a work in progress so not all of her sprites and animations are separated right now:

And for those curious, here's her Soku default palette for comparison:
#464  March 22, 2019, 09:11:56 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Hey I'm down to beta test again!!
#465  March 25, 2019, 05:38:00 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Okay so now we have an actual charge Special, her signature Dominating Dash. It doesn't possess any projectile invincibility unlike source, but it's still air usable. Much like a certain similar move from an unrelated series, it also possesses the unique property of dealing 2 hits on block only, not that you'd want to have this move blocked, but I guess having it be much safer than without this property is better than nothing.
#466  March 26, 2019, 06:00:29 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Part 1/2: Tengu Drum and Tengu Felling, both from SWR/Soku; if you've ever played M.Bison in any of the Street Fighter games, then you should already have an idea of how these moves work. Tengu Drum more or less works the same way in Soku, however, Tengu Felling has been redone to be more along the lines of the way Bison's Skull Diver works. She'll also have a equivalent move to Devil's Reverse, but that will be for part 2.
#467  March 27, 2019, 07:15:42 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Part 2/2: Tengu's Downburst; effectively Aya's equivalent of Bison's Devil's Reverse. Like Bison's SF5 counterpart, it doesn't have it's own separate command, but rather is used during Tengu Drum before Aya makes contact with the opponent, giving her an option to either commit to the move or prematurely cancel it into an attack. Also shown is a slight revision to Tengu Felling, where it no longer causes a knockdown against grounded opponents.
#468  April 02, 2019, 05:29:33 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Aya's Last Word: Illusionary Dominance. I usually take creative liberties when it comes to adapting moves from source and Aya's Last Word was no exception: rather than having the move have you adjust Aya's height with directional inputs and thus result in some inconsistent behavior that risks having p2 drop out of the move, Illusionary Dominance now automatically tracks p2's position. The final stomp of the move wasn't originally present in source and was something I added for an extra "Oomph" at the end, as well as making yet another reference to M.Bison.
#469  April 07, 2019, 05:13:13 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Finally got to Aya's color separation.

P2 Aya from Phantasmagoria of Flower View

Sort-of-like-Aya, but instead of using a camera she uses Google image search Spirit photography
Re: [WIP] RicePigeons' WIPs (IZ Aya, IZ Sanae)
#470  April 09, 2019, 05:10:08 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

"I've got the power of gods and anime on my side!"

Okay, maybe not the former, but Sanae is next. As you can see here, her game plan is a bit simplified now and may require a bit of an explanation: Going into making the Incident Zero characters, by initial plan was to correlate influence with the newer Touhou fighters (HM, ULiL, and AoCF), which can obviously be seen with Yukari and Reisen, who largely take inspiration from their AoCF counterparts, rather than Soku. Even characters who didn't gain as drastic of a change in moveset, such as Reimu and Marisa, also take inspiration from the newer games as well.

Back when I was doing IZ Sakuya, I thought about this and wanted to take it in a direction of "since Sakuya wasn't in any of the new fighters, if she were to reappear as a playable character in AoCF, what changes would she have gotten?". As a result of that, Sakuya's moveset was changed, but not too drastically to the point where she would no longer be Sakuya. This same train of thought is also present in IZ Sanae: As you can see from the HUD, she no longer utilizes Kanako or Suwako in any of her moves. She still has a wind mechanic, which is now her Unique Skill and is now indicated by tornado stocks instead of a gauge.

Now I'm going to go off on a tangent here and go a bit into some development backstory. Back when I was collaborating with Midori Margatroid on a Sanae in 2014, we analyzed Sanae in Hisoutensoku, and pretty much came to the conclusion that her wind mechanic in that game was lackluster and not well thought out. What we couldn't agree on, however, was how to approach it: Midori wanted to try to stay as close to the source as possible while simultaneously fixing the flaws we saw with the system, while I wanted to completely revamp the system to make it more akin to Rachel's version of the mechanic in the BlazBlue games; we ended up using the former idea, which culminated in some of the changes present (ie: the ability to cancel into the Wind Summoning at the expense of power, the ability to use it on the ground, etc). In the end, we still felt like more could be done. When I eventually made the Gensokyo Reloaded version of Sanae, I decided to explore the original route I wanted to go and ended up using that system. In the end, I felt like it was a natural progression.

So stemming from that, IZ Sanae will progress the system a bit further, by giving her additional options to utilize her wind, which will serve as the focus of her gameplay this time around, in lieu of her Kanako & Suwako assists.
#471  April 09, 2019, 07:38:33 pm
  • Why,
What youre use?

What like person Sanae is (or at these stories? ) Them all... seen cute... and high class magic.

Good working time!
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
#472  April 16, 2019, 05:57:34 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Sanae's new 6z command normal, based on her heavy bullet from Soku, replacing her old 6z command normal from GR. It has similar functionality as a zoning tool, and unlike its source counterpart is affected by wind, giving her another wind option.

Sanae's new 4z command normal. Its main use is as an anti-air, but since the mechanics of the IZ system cause her back throw to come out if this move is used up close, it creates an option select where the opponent either stays grounded and gets grabbed, or jumps and gets hit by the anti-air command normal instead.
Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:02:38 pm by Ricepigeon
#473  April 16, 2019, 08:57:02 pm
  • Why,
it creates an option select where the opponent either stays grounded and gets grabbed, or jumps and gets hit by the anti-air command normal instead.
Sanae Kochiya? Anyway.. Why i don´t fin Aya Shameimaru at that other list?

Anyway good luck!
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help
Re: [WIP] RicePigeons' WIPs (IZ Suwako)
#474  May 07, 2019, 07:57:05 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
So next up is Suwako...

Years ago, I originally started a Suwako character purely as an april fool's joke character, as it was just her hat given sentience (mixed with a bit of Devil May Cry influence). I always jokingly said I would get back to it, and now that I've made Sanae and Kanako several times, now was the opportunity to do so. Anyone who's ever played Hisoutensoku would know just how gimmicky Suwako is, and is often regarded as the bottom tier character in that game because of this.

My aim here, of course, is to remain as faithful to the source material as possible, while still ironing out the flaws that they had; Suwako's walk, for example, now keeps her in a grounded state. Although you're still committed to the hop, it no longer forces you to use your aerials nor does it force you to be unable to block. Her dashes have received similar treatment, in that they are now uniform with the rest of the cast, and just having better mobility overall as compared to source.

Staying true to the way she functions in Soku, her crouching state puts her in a "standing" state with her lilypad, and vice-versa with her true standing state. As a result of this, many of her standing Normals are now lows, while many of her crouching Normals now hit mid. Of course, some creative liberties had to be taken due to the limited number of actual ground Normals she had in the source game, but overall her only lows are s.LP, s.MP, and c.HP. Alot of these moves had a ton of range in the source game, so that remains true here, giving her somewhat slower yet far reaching pokes. Her Lily 6A from source was implemented her as her DF+HP command Normal, which acts as her grounded overhead, with the biggest difference being that it no longer forces her into a sliding underground state like it did in source.
#475  May 22, 2019, 06:50:26 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Stone Frog God and Ancient Metal Ring, both of which are Suwako's QCF specials on the ground and air, respectively. I've noticed that alot of Suwako's moves in source tend to hit multiple times so the same is true here. Stone Frog God also has the additional property of hitting OTG, so she can use that after a knockdown.

Working on some character-specific system stuff with Suwako, which I'll probably show off next, which will also include her Unique Skill. Try taking a guess as to what that might involve.
#476  May 31, 2019, 09:19:25 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

To those who have never played Suwako in Hisoutensoku, she has certain attacks and movements that place her in an underground state, from which she's able to use certain Specials. The system she uses in that game is rather jank, as she can't use certain grounded Specials like you would think she could, and is only able to use them while airborne, in her lilypad (crouching), or underground states, but not standing. There was also no way to manually go underground except as part of certain moves or her forward dash.

Here, her underground mechanic has been revamped as her Unique Skill, which given its nameless nature, I've decided to dub... Toad in the Hole... Naughty smirks and giggles aside, this can be manually activated at any time, during which she's freely able to move. Like in the source game, she can also use certain grounded Specials while in this state, just as she can in her normal grounded state. I must note that she possesses no invulnerability in this state, and is unable to block, but her hitbox is so small that she'll be able to pass under most attacks that aren't sweeps, grabs, or grounded projectiles. She's also time limited, and will automatically pop up after a certain amount of time.
#477  June 03, 2019, 05:31:46 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Divine Instrument "Moriya's Iron Ring", regarded by some as Suwako's signature spellcard. Unlike source, she only fires 1 of them, but still retains the property of being able to bounce around the screen up to a total of 5 times. As a compensation for being only able to fire one of them, she has the ability to select the angle depending on the button press used for the attack. Also, unlike source, she has a variant where she can use this move while underground. Just try not to get hit, as the ring will disappear if she does.
#478  June 05, 2019, 07:34:27 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA

Ancient Geyser, another one of Suwako's Specials that can be used from the underground state. While she can't use it in the air unlike in source, she can now hit OTG with it.
#479  June 25, 2019, 10:21:26 pm
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
  • The Scavenging Time and Space God
    • USA
What about the next character in the works?
Re: [WIP] RicePigeons' WIPs (IZ Sumireko)
#480  July 19, 2019, 07:06:28 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
While Momiji was in the final stages of development, I reached out to someone in the hopes of commissioning sprites for another WIP that I've been interested in working on for some time. While it's nowhere near complete, I figured I'd show off a little bit of what will eventually be my next WIP: Sumireko Usami.

Special thanks to Blade for the sprites, we will soon have a Sumireko sprited in the old art Tasofro art style to be included with the rest of the cast for Touhou: Incident Zero once a working beta is out.