YesNoOk

The Nintendo News Thread (Read 1515654 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: The Nintendo News Thread
#4821  March 23, 2019, 02:20:05 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzfoc_X0mGg[/youtube]

Just take my fucking money, Nintendo.  All of it.  Can I pay in blood?
Crypt of the Necrodancer is a combination rhythm game/roguelike dungeon crawler.  All actions from moving to attacking enemies need to be performed to the beat of the BGM.  Good rhythm results in better loot drops and higher score multipliers.  If you stop moving or drop the beat, the multipliers stop.  Here's what it looks like in action:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgYaD8xXiQ[/youtube]

Great game, IMO.  I'm super excited to see it get not just a sequel but a crossover with godsdamn Legend of Zelda of all things.

You know, when the announcement trailer for Cadence of Hyrule dropped, I was still up in the air with the game and if I should get it or not. Now, seeing Crypt of the Necrodancer's video. Maybe I should...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#4822  March 23, 2019, 03:39:50 pm
Watching some Necrodancer on Youtube, this game looks really hard, not necessarily difficult to play but you have to keep your head in the game 100% of the time and you can't take time thinking about how you'll go around this enemy and beat it or watch that guy's moves, because you're likely to miss the tempo... Can you even afford to pause ? I hope there will be a demo available to actually test it yourself.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#4823  March 23, 2019, 03:48:25 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
There's definitely a difficulty curve in the later levels, but it's simpler to pick up than it looks.  Most of the challenge comes in the form of figuring out enemy movement patterns and keeping an eye on the floor layout so you can position yourself to attack them without jumping into their line of fire.  Like a lot of rhythm games the better you get at it the more it becomes internalized, and it becomes less about deliberately thinking out your next move and more about going with the flow.

It's definitely a game I'd highly recommend, personally.
#4824  March 25, 2019, 04:39:30 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Having been obsessed with this game for a good while, I can say it's really fun, but also really hard.

Figuring out enemy patterns is actually one of the easier parts.  The game provides you training rooms so that you can essentially lab against them and learn how each of them work.  (You need to unlock that though.)

The hard part is when the game throws an enemy formation at you and you need to figure out how to deal with them on the fly.  One enemy is simple to get past, but when a group of 3-6 different types show up and start advancing towards you, you'll need to quickly think about which enemies you can safely take out first, while avoiding damage from the other ones.

Once you become experienced with the game enough, you start to realize strategies on how to stall out enemies while keeping the beat. (Later parts of the game punish you heavily for missing the beat.)  This helps immensely with figuring out a plan to deal with an oncoming wave of enemies.

For anyone who has a Switch, you can apparently download a demo of Necrodancer from the JP eShop (You can create a JP Nintendo account to access this).  Interestingly, this demo doesn't exist in any of the other eShops nor Steam for some reason.
Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:43:53 am by vgma2
#4825  March 27, 2019, 08:04:53 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
Yacht Club has a new IP. THIS IS NOT A DRILL I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A DRILllL!!!!!!

#4826  March 28, 2019, 12:45:39 am
I've been following this project, looks amazing!
#4827  March 28, 2019, 01:04:55 am
    • USA
Oooh.  Metroid/Ninja Gaiden fusion with a 90's cyberpunk anime vibe.  That looks freaking slick.
#4828  March 28, 2019, 02:35:12 am
  • The Absolute Worst
    • Canada
    • Skype - do.not.even.ask
    • randomselect.piiym.net/
It's giving me Power Blade and Shatterhand vibes, so I'm definitely intrigued.
#4829  April 01, 2019, 03:04:14 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
As someone who never heard of the developer Yacht Club, I must ask if they are any good?

As for the trailer, it looks impressive, but I do have a backlog of games to play on the Switch, so I might not get it right away. Plus, I'm not exactly the best at high-speed action platformer and shooter games.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#4830  April 01, 2019, 03:13:01 am
    • Brazil
they're the ones that made Shovel Knight, absolutely amazing devs.
#4831  April 01, 2019, 03:15:03 am
    • USA
As someone who never heard of the developer Yacht Club, I must ask if they are any good?

They're the ones who made Shovel Knight.

Although it seems Yacht Club didn't develop this themselves.  According to the site, the whole thing was developed by one dude, and Yacht Club brought him on board last year and helped him polish it for a professional release.
#4832  April 01, 2019, 03:19:28 am
  • Suika cute
    • sites.google.com/site/roysquadrocks/
Inb4 Shovel Knight cameo.
#4833  April 01, 2019, 02:31:05 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#4834  April 03, 2019, 06:14:23 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
Well I guess this is the closest will get to Xcom on Switch

#4835  April 07, 2019, 04:36:37 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
I just finished Yoshi's Crafted World.

It is a fun relaxing game with rather a rather creative art style and innovative stage mechanics from the usual fare. I just wish that many of the concepts they introduced are not exclusive to the stage it is found in. I would appreciate more stages where I can use the boat to blast more pirates out of the water for instance. And the difficulty could be higher, but that would ruin the relaxing part, yes?

Over all, I am quite satisfied. I'm going to take a break before attempting the challenge stages and trying to get more flowers and crafts and costumes.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#4836  April 12, 2019, 07:36:31 pm
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
First Hellblade, then Cuphead, and now this. 

#4837  April 12, 2019, 08:45:37 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
OH SHI....Where are all of these heavy hitters coming from!?
#4838  April 13, 2019, 02:09:51 am
  • The Ultimate Shield
  • I WANT IT ALL!!!
Switch deserves such a great game.  I adored God Eater 3 100%.
GOH: bmc would tell birds that they're broken because they shouldn't air recover.
#4839  May 07, 2019, 03:55:18 am
  • Lovely Day
    • USA
    • alexpower333@gmail.com
#4840  May 09, 2019, 09:58:31 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen