YesNoOk

GIMP Help: Photoshopping a stage. (Read 9049 times)

Started by RedDragonCats17, April 01, 2019, 10:14:08 am
Share this topic:
GIMP Help: Photoshopping a stage.
New #1  April 01, 2019, 10:14:08 am
  • Part-Time MUGEN creator
    • USA
    • Skype - reddragoncats17
    • reddragoncats17.weebly.com/
So here's what's up. I'm taking this:

And I'm trying to make the colors match this:

Grey rocks, blue water. Any advice?
Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:45:45 pm by RedDragonCats17
Re: GIMP Help: Photoshopping a stage.
#2  April 01, 2019, 10:49:41 am
    • Brazil
can't see any images.
#3  April 01, 2019, 11:45:42 am
    • USA
Should be fixed now. That kinda got me stumped the first time I noticed that there were no images. The images displayed just fine when I first posted this.

TiE

#4  April 02, 2019, 12:53:11 pm
  • used the search button
    • Germany
Quite a task there.
I'd say you open both pics, irrelevant if layered or separate instances of gimp, though I personally would layer them.
That way you can set opacity of the reference lower, so you see if the colours match during the work.
Then use the pipette tool (? - the thingy you can make a colour the foreground colour).

With this you get the hex value if you double click it.
This can be inserted in several colour options, like in "colourise / embue". Also I would try the colour - wave option during the process.
Maybe that'll give you the darker dents in the floor more easily.

Nevertheless there is a method I don't know, which is likely, I fear you won't be able to circumvent to exclude everything you don't want to tint with the freehand tool...

Reading this myself, it sounds very odd.
As you might have figured, my gimp is set to german, so I don't know the english tools nor the options names...
[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff
#5  April 02, 2019, 08:12:33 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I would try to do this inside of Fighter Factory 3. You get the set palette. Then you select the colors of the rocks, and adjust the sliders around. Do it for each part.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#6  April 02, 2019, 09:54:37 pm
    • USA
There's one problem with that. Pretty much every color in the foreground is identical. It's going to be hard for me to recolor the stage when the rocks, the logs, and the water are the same colors.

TiE

#7  April 03, 2019, 09:26:27 am
  • used the search button
    • Germany
Maybe "desaturate / reduce to greys" in gimp and then "recolour" gets the job done, when you have the hex value.
Then it's just a matter of only selecting the floor area / the rock part, etc.
[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff

GLB

#8  April 03, 2019, 05:59:06 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
I use Gimp also. And usually with things like this I'll redo the palette in fighter factory to get a better idea of the colors.

Or I'd duplicate the water layer, screen one into the first layer with a low opac setting, do layer / new from visible, then use the other duped layer as a gradient map overlay. Use the color balance tool to colorize the shadows and midtones that went unaffected. This method should make it so that everything's not one solid color, it should be more of a blend. If it doesn't work that well, try making a new layer with the color blue you want and screening/soft lighting that over the sprite you want recolored.
#9  April 03, 2019, 11:13:19 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
So here's what's up. I'm taking this:
'picture of trees'
And I'm trying to make the colors match this:
'picture of rocks and waterfall'
Grey rocks, blue water. Any advice?

There's one problem with that. Pretty much every color in the foreground is identical. It's going to be hard for me to recolor the stage when the rocks, the logs, and the water are the same colors.

That should make it easier....
#10  April 04, 2019, 09:35:38 am
  • Back for a few months.
    • USA
I don't know gimp, but something like this?

TiE

#11  April 05, 2019, 11:06:29 am
  • used the search button
    • Germany
Awesome Agnibyte!

@RedDragonCats17:
I used my "method" and have the trees remain greenish.

Check the mega link for a preview & the .xcf file.
So you see what I did to get my result.
This ain't the best, as it was done rather fast.
If that's what you want, I can work on it more thoroughly on the weekend.
Also now you can use GLB's proposal, in case you want water in there.
I also would recommend blending it in from the waterfall picture.

https://mega.nz/#F!vAhUWCKJ!9nkpVr-8GsgR3zJavfsV5Q
[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff
#12  April 05, 2019, 11:17:13 am
    • USA
Unfortunately, @TiE, my internet service disabled the WiFi, so I don’t have access to here and Discord on my computer, and I don’t know how to get things into my computer with my phone, which is using LTE.

If you could show me the result as an image, I’ll think about if it’s what I want or not.

@Agnibyte that doesn’t look half bad, but I don’t think leaves are supposed to look blue like that.
Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:20:26 am by RedDragonCats17
#13  April 06, 2019, 01:02:27 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA

@Agnibyte that doesn’t look half bad, but I don’t think leaves are supposed to look blue like that.

I would try to do this inside of Fighter Factory 3. You get the set palette. Then you select the colors of the rocks, and adjust the sliders around. Do it for each part.

You'd just select the rocks and move the attributes to match his numbers. You could adjust the leaves independently.

TiE

#14  April 10, 2019, 08:54:39 am
  • used the search button
    • Germany
If you have a file browser, like Total Commander & an SMB connection to your computer, you should be able to transfer files.
As said before, I struggle to get pictures shown directly in my posts.

Got it to work after the - dunno - 12th edit...
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I could blend in the water for you as well. But I am not too good with the splashes, though.
[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff
Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:59:38 am by TiE
#15  April 10, 2019, 10:09:39 am
    • USA
That doesn’t look half bad. And doing that would be great. If you did the other frames, then whoopie, I’m a happy kid.

In all seriousness, though, you didn’t have to do this for me. I mean, if I had a PayPal and the money, I’d probably commission somebody to do it, but none-the-less, this was nice of you to do this.

I have 4shared, mediafire, and Google Drive, not those 2 you mentioned. If you could transfer the files with one of the 3 I mentioned, that should make things easy. I’ll save it to my Google Drive until my WiFi is back.

TiE

#16  April 10, 2019, 01:50:24 pm
  • used the search button
    • Germany
Thanks a lot, dude. But Agnibyte deserves the credit for that!
He did it first & made me think: "Why don't you just do it & then explain if necessary?"

I don't get the part about googledrive, though.
My mega link is simply a dl-link. so any way of opening that one gives you 2 files in a browser window.
1. this preview &
2. the xcf for gimp

But if I misunderstood the issue with that mega link, I should be able to plant the files in my googledrive, I haven't used for years.

Wait a sec...
You mean my post mentioning Total Commander & smb share?
lol
That was referring to your implied question:
I don’t have access to here and Discord on my computer, and I don’t know how to get things into my computer with my phone, which is using LTE.

Any file browser for mobiles with a setup connection to your pc should enable file transfer between those two devices. Because your local network should still be functional.

As long as it's neither a waste of your or my time, I'm absolutely cool with it!
I will try to blend in the water, but will stay away from any sparkling / foamy / splashes.
Anybody being able to hold a pen beats me at drawing easily.

So what I need is what you want done & a hint to where I find those other frames for the stage?
[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff
Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:54:52 pm by TiE
#17  April 11, 2019, 01:37:43 am
    • USA
Agnibyte, thank you so much for, pretty much, making the base.

After the water’s finished, the rocks in the background could look a little more dark gray, comparing your work with Gato’s stage. Transferring the files to my phone is actually more difficult than I expected. I don’t know what a smb connection is, or total commander, and I don’t think my local network is functional based on the service I’m using, as I’m using Cox.

I am familiar with USB, and I tried to transfer the frames into my phone so that I can upload them to Google Drive, copy the link, and send it to you via PM, but it’s difficult because my WiFi is down, I have a IPhone and I’m using it’s LTE service.

Not all hope is lost, though. I forgot that my dad has some revolvers he wants to sell, since he’s not a big fan of revolvers.
Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:38:22 am by RedDragonCats17

TiE

#18  April 11, 2019, 09:01:44 am
  • used the search button
    • Germany
Don't rush yourself. I'm not running unannounced.
So all is fine.
Now I got water on the list & darkening the background rocks a bit.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Just contact me. All cool!
[BGdef]
 ;Filename of sprite data
spr = stages/ ***.sff
#19  April 11, 2019, 09:24:03 am
    • USA
Aight, cool.

There is one thing I did realize. If you look at the image, there’s a empty square at the top of the log. If I do remember correctly, there was deer in that stage. I think I still have the stage, so lemme find the deer and extract them. I’ll upload the files into a zip folder and keep them until my WiFi is back.