YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 18168292 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2101  May 23, 2019, 01:31:04 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Might as well call the next one a bye week as far as I'm concerned

Not gonna have the home team lose this close to the new season announcement at RTX
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#2102  May 23, 2019, 01:36:22 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Yeah, see, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  They have a part of the pie off of how well RWBY does, they have some form of bias to see it do well.  If not by its own merits in DB then by downplaying the other side.  It's hard to take them at face value saying they don't when what they've turned out says otherwise.
#2103  May 24, 2019, 06:29:35 am
    • Mexico
Feels like I’ve been saying this about every Death Battle but

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2104  May 28, 2019, 02:35:05 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com

Praise be to Ink Tank!
#2105  May 28, 2019, 04:27:33 am
    • USA
To be fair, that Kuro guy is, like, the sole cause of any and all hype and overexaggerating on the usage and abilities of Alien X amongst these debates.  He runs a webcomic to keep the Ben 10 series alive after all.  Of course he was going to have nitpicks about the episode, some of which are just customary to the Death Battle show as a whole such as the choice in character avatar in the fight animation not being representative of how they look at their peak, just their most common/popular form with the resources available.  Like Toph being a kid, Goku being in his End of Z gi and age whilst also being End of GT Goku or Nightmare being, well, not Nightmare at times.  Just a factor of sprite limitation.

I'm surprised that a reoccurring statement people point to Death Battle being false on was the overuse of the Omnitrix messing with your DNA, and point of the Master Control was the get rid of that issue, because even the little I'm personally familiar on in the original series, that was a thing.  Hence the cooldown time, it wouldn't let you use it in rapid succession back then specifically because of that.  It's clearly long since been an issue, but still.
#2106  May 28, 2019, 04:39:04 am
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
But yeah, once again they just put flashy battle scenes over really looking at skills in general. This actually made me watch the show again and I really do agree with Ink on a lot of things. That and the fact that Hal was really fighting two on one.
#2107  May 30, 2019, 12:20:53 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Elsa

#2108  May 30, 2019, 01:11:27 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
Wouldn't it be Anime Elsa instead?

I mean, Frost already has the title of 'Elsa' to begin with...
#2109  May 30, 2019, 02:16:36 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
#2110  June 06, 2019, 12:30:51 am
    • USA
Stand User-senpai

#2111  June 12, 2019, 09:06:14 pm
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com

#2112  June 13, 2019, 12:22:38 am
    • USA

Next up is Johnny Cage vs Captain Falcon?  I don't quite see the connection.  Cool shades and a trademark punch, maybe?
#2113  June 13, 2019, 12:45:44 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Captain Falcon is dead like his franchise. I know my F-Zero lore (or what little of it there is) and ultimately it depends which source they go with: video game Falcon or anime Falcon.

Anime Falcon died in a reactor explosion, whereas I get the feeling MK characters have tanked more than that. At best, video game Falcon has done what, punch a giant robot over? He's a skilled bounty hunter, sure, but outside of the lost F-Zero X webcomics, all we've seen him really do in that regard is apprehend some jobber alien criminal.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#2114  June 13, 2019, 01:30:05 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
And just where exactly are they going to pull Falcon's feats from? His series? 98% of the time he's driving the Blue Falcon and not actually fighting.

The only times we see Cap in a fight is in Smash and in an old comic from his SNES game. His Smash moveset was literally completely made up(as in, it doesn't borrow references from his source series unlike... literally everyone else). The famous Falcon punch scene from the anime? He didn't contribute to that explosion at all, that reactor was going to blow up anyway.
#2115  June 13, 2019, 01:34:44 am
    • USA
They're both fighting superstars, one a racer and the other a movie star, with signature fighting game punch attacks.  And maybe the god killer thing too, was that thing Douglas killed in the anime a god?  I don't recall.

Some previous Death Battle Cast about Captain Falcon fighting someone (Duke Nukem I think?) remarked that the anime is non-canon and not a viable source, plus his big final Falcon Punch at the end flying out of his car, the explosion wasn't really him anyways.  Add on top of that Death Battle DOES use non-canon sources for MK like the mini-games and it's pretty straight-forwardly in Johnny Cage's favor.

Oh and right, new DB today.  I guess they couldn't swing it in their team's favor without being called out on it again, too obvious when the other character is immune to their foe's attacks.  Which I feel like pointing out happened last time to but whatever.  Surprised they didn't go with the 2D sprites though, 3D fights are so sparse and they used it on this.
Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:38:41 am by Long John Killer
#2116  June 13, 2019, 02:01:13 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

was that thing Douglas killed in the anime a god?  I don't recall.

If you're referring to the iconic Falcon Punch scene, that's just Black Shadow. Captain Falcon punched him so he couldn't escape the explosion of the Dark Reactor.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#2117  June 13, 2019, 02:14:08 am
    • USA
Yeah, that was it, it's been a dog's age since I saw it and forgot what it was he was actually fighting at the end there.
#2118  June 13, 2019, 02:59:13 am
    • USA
Surprised they didn't go with the 2D sprites though, 3D fights are so sparse and they used it on this.
I mean if they had access to the RWBY assets anyway, why not? It's not like they only have a set number of 3D fight they're allowed to do.

On the topic of Captain Falcon's chances, the only thing I can see giving him any king of edge on a Mortal Kombat-tier character (and this is a pretty deep cut I had to dig through a wiki to find) is the championship belt from F-Zero GX which apparently somehow grants its bearer the power to  "turn the entire galaxy to dust in an instant."   Which would seem like overkill if DB actually factors it in.
#2119  June 13, 2019, 03:01:48 am
    • USA
They don't have a specific set number, no, but they do tend to point out how much harder the 3D ones are to pull together with the motion capturing and losing their lead animator for new members, so I imagine it's more stressful on them to make than the 2D ones.
#2120  June 14, 2019, 05:31:41 am
  • Was it something I said?
Most likely, they're gonna pull stuff from Smash Bros for Captain Falcon with a hint of anime, like "Oh, Johnny Cage tanked a bunch of hits from Shinnok, and blows that would normally kill a regular human being, but Captain Falcon tanked whatever Tabuu and Galeem/Darkhom throw at him."