YesNoOk

To custom portrait, or not to custom portrait, that is the question... (Read 2191 times)

Started by NoilKaizen, May 27, 2019, 01:54:00 am
Share this topic:
To custom portrait, or not to custom portrait, that is the question...
#1  May 27, 2019, 01:54:00 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
Custom port screen-packs look nice, but I always feel like actually doing the points for portraits can be a hassle too. Does anyone have that feeling? I seem to be more suited for default icons but those feel mismatched/bad at times too. I guess the bulk of the hassle is having to use GIMP to make the ports and then use Fighter Factory to put the darn things in.
Fortnite 2 baby.
Re: To custom portrait, or not to custom portrait, that is the question...
#2  May 27, 2019, 03:54:03 am
    • Argentina
I like custom portraits if one is creative and uses templates it reduces a lot of time and it depends on the type of SP that one wants to create the portraits can take more time
for example the portraits that I made for the kof sp can be added "hidden characters"

another example
this is done so that the small portraits will appear only depending if you play only the player 1 or 2 or both in vs

With the custom portraits you can do lots of things you just have to be creative
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:58:57 am by k6666orochi
#3  May 27, 2019, 05:12:03 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
Fortnite 2 baby.
#4  May 27, 2019, 05:25:34 am
    • crepa.neocities.org

It depends. If the person looking for a screenpack have 1000+ chars, they won't edit each single char to have a custom portrait. Or if is someone lazy (like me), they just don't want to have the work to make custom ports.
I once downloaded a really cool lifebar that used custom ports and I made like 5 or 6 ports for my chars, in the 6th one I was already tired and gave up. Most of the time I look for default ports when it comes to screenpacks or lifebars.
If you're a creator, I think the best option is to make both versions (custom and default) available, so the person dowloading it can chose.
#5  May 27, 2019, 05:33:51 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
It depends. If the person looking for a screenpack have 1000+ chars, they won't edit each single char to have a custom portrait. Or if is someone lazy (like me), they just don't want to have the work to make custom ports.
I once downloaded a really cool lifebar that used custom ports and I made like 5 or 6 ports for my chars, in the 6th one I was already tired and gave up. Most of the time I look for default ports when it comes to screenpacks or lifebars.
If you're a creator, I think the best option is to make both versions (custom and default) available, so the person dowloading it can chose.

I guess I'm talking from a user standpoint here where I'm conflicted about wanting to edit each character or not. It's something I've been on and off of, and I feel like the default MUGEN ports sometimes don't look that good, or something along the lines of that.
Fortnite 2 baby.

GLB

#6  May 30, 2019, 09:36:12 pm
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
Custom ports are nice, I've usually got a smaller roster with custom ports, a test engine and a default with many more characters lol.

I know I actually enjoyed making ports for Dissidia's Hatsune Miku Project SP, the template was very easy to understand and I spent about 15 minutes per character making them. The hardest part was finding images i wanted to use and cleaning them or rendering them.
#7  May 30, 2019, 11:33:38 pm
I prefer custom myself. I had to make like 10 ports sets and around 100 small ports and 20 life bar ones but its fine.
Not to mention renders/looking for art.
#8  May 31, 2019, 12:47:25 am
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
Custom full power! :)
#9  May 31, 2019, 05:59:58 am
  • Aaaaaaa
  • Aaaaaaa
Custom ports are nice, I've usually got a smaller roster with custom ports, a test engine and a default with many more characters lol.

I know I actually enjoyed making ports for Dissidia's Hatsune Miku Project SP, the template was very easy to understand and I spent about 15 minutes per character making them. The hardest part was finding images i wanted to use and cleaning them or rendering them.

Project SP is a screen pack that looks cool, but I'm more into the generic variety of screen packs
Fortnite 2 baby.