YesNoOk

Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch) (Read 122226 times)

Started by Kirishima, February 27, 2019, 03:08:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield (Switch)
#21  June 06, 2019, 06:40:57 am
    • Brazil
#22  June 06, 2019, 01:53:52 pm
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
Because Raichu's obviously stronger than Pikachu. I'm totally sold on Zacian and Zamazenta. I know for sure Zacian will have access to moves like Leaf Blade, Psycho Cut and Sacred Sword and may have a high Attack stat. I'm not sure about Zamazenta's potential at the moment but since that wolf's armor appears to resemble a shield, it may have a high Defense and Sp. Def stat. Now I gotta wait till late October/early November now for the datamine.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:59:34 pm by DarkWolf13
#23  June 06, 2019, 02:40:43 pm
  • Was it something I said?
I'm sure a lot more people will go for Sword, but I'm digging Zamazenta. It's like if Reinhardt turned into a big dog.
#24  June 06, 2019, 03:20:26 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
On the topic on legendaries, I am actually having a very difficult time deciding between the two, because both are equally appealing and awesome.

It may have to come down to other aspects between the two versions, like version exclusives and the like.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#25  June 12, 2019, 01:55:39 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
So apparently, GF made a statement about Pokemon Home, saying that ONLY Pokemon that appears in the Galar Dex can be transferred from other games to Sword and Shield. As far as this goes, this had upset a lot of fans across the world, making them feel like they've pulled a Gen 3 where you can't use some of your favorites. The way I see it: Pokemon Home is a new app so they have to do some testing with the games first so I feel that restriction is only because it's going under a testing phase. If it passes, which is very likely I hope, then they'll work on adding everyone else.

We also got these 2 new mons:

Yamper. An Electric puppy-like Pokemon with the new ability Ball Fetch, which lets it retrieve the first thrown Pokeball that failed if it's not holding an item.

Impidimp. Our first Dark/Fairy Pokemon.
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 01:59:39 am by DarkWolf13
#26  June 12, 2019, 04:33:55 am
    • Brazil
I'm sure that the only reason they're restricting the Pokémon to this game's dex is to promote the new Pokémon species. Lots of people commented on this issue saying that the same thing happened in Sun/Moon, you couldn't access Pokémon outside of the game's Pokédex, but they allowed it afterwards anyway. I mean, lets be real, saying that they couldn't do it because they didn't want us to wait too long is pure bullshit when all models and animations for old Pokémon are reused, and have been reused ever since X/Y, do they think we're stupid? They had better update this shit later on.
#27  June 12, 2019, 05:22:22 am
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
I'm going to be frank here, and I know I'm going to get flak for this but... As much as I'm disappointed that not every Pokemon will be transferable to Gen 8, I feel like it's for the better in the long run.

As someone who has had some experience with the competitive side of Pokemon, you have how many Pokemon from previous Gens that dominate the metagame? Look at every VGC since gen 5 and you'll see staples like Landorus and Garchomp are the most consistently used, among others. This isn't just exclusive to VGC either, even unofficial formats like Smogon's Singles OU is plagued by this: every gen since 3-4 is more or less dominated by past gen legendaries and/or psuedolegends, and barely any ordinary Pokemon from the later gens (sans Toxapex and, in Gen 6's case, Talonflame) actually stand out. By axing some of the previous Pokemon, you not only give these newcomers a chance to shine, but also curb the out-of-control power creep that's been plaguing the games since at least gen 5; considering we are now at the point where we now have 850+ Pokemon (not including alternate forms and Megas), such a power creep is only going to get worse without trimming some of the fat.

On top of the balance reasons for axing the Pokemon, it also gives an incentive to continue playing the older games. With the ability to basically transfer every single Pokemon over from a previous generation, the metagame effectively becomes a 2.0 version of the previous gen's metagame. You can also see this to a lesser extent with ORAS and USUM with the new UBs/Megas that aren't transferrable to the previous games, and Nintendo/Gamefreak tried to capitalize on this in both gen 6 and 7 by effectively creating two Battle Spot ladders: One for XY/SM and one for ORAS/USUM for each gen, respectively. How many of you can honestly say that you continue to play a previous generation competitively when you can just transfer those Pokemon to the latest generation and use them there? In the very likely event a Diamond & Pearl remake is released in the next year or two, I'd imagine that the same rules would apply, thus you would have certain Pokemon that exist in Sword & Shield that cannot be transferred to the Sinnoh remakes, effectively giving the Sinnoh remakes a distinct, separate metagame that isn't just Sword & Shield 2.0, which is the problem you see with XY/ORAS and SM/USUM.

By doing this, Gamefreak is effectively making Pokemon more akin to something like Street Fighter: you have characters exclusive to previous games that dont show up in the later games, thus giving you an incentive to play both.
#28  June 12, 2019, 05:48:08 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
....Or you could, you know, buff the lower tiers and nerf the higher tiers.  Instead of directly cutting content.  Like they did for some lower tier pokemon going from gen 6 to 7 getting massive stat buffs.

Removing the ability to continue to transfer pokemon harshly cuts my interest in the new gen.  I already have my favorites, and I intend to keep using them.  But I'm frankly done with using my 3DS.  Point of the Switch being portable was to replace it.  Nonsense like this is directly responsible for my initial disinterest in the series that made getting into gen 3 a right pain and give up on gen 4 and beyond until the gen 3 remakes way later on.
#29  June 12, 2019, 07:28:02 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
even with buffs and nerfs, the fact theres 800+ means thats a LOT of buffing and nerfing to even the playing field, something masuda and the devs voiced concerns about in keeping with deadlines. theres just too many of them now, its pretty impossible to really make sure every pokemon gets a niche and is usable. some of the concepts, typing designs and movelists just severely limit many pokemon in comparison to the competitively viable ones. even if they were to super buff everything that was bad, only a couple would rise up to the top regardless.

as a collection thing, i expect theyre going to be working on a platform where they can centralizing transferring everything to. and probably making a standalone battling game or something so u can actually use them. but who knows.
#30  June 12, 2019, 09:41:35 am
  • Self-proclaimed best creator!
That was a BIG mistake for GF! Even youtubers are trash talking about their bad decision.
If some of my favourites lines especially Ralts are not in this game, I'm gonna cancel my pre-order!
This is fate.
#31  June 12, 2019, 12:49:23 pm
    • Brazil
You cannot make a game about collecting stuff that has always included all of the "items" (in this case, the Pokémon) in every game, and then suddenly bring an installment where some of the collectibles are not to be found. This isn't a fighting game where you can bring new characters and remove old ones, this is Pokémon, which has a very unique position when it comes to games, because, lets be real, nothing is really like Pokémon. Also, Pokémon's buffs and nerfs were, in many situations, indirect ones, how is removing a large portion of the Pokémon a good thing, when some Pokémon could finally get the chance to work better if the meta finally favored them?
#32  June 12, 2019, 01:47:15 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#33  June 12, 2019, 03:11:11 pm
  • For honor!
Let's be real here, Gamefreak can't balance. You can't design things like Aegislash and Mega Salamence and bring up battle balance. The prime reason is that there's nearly a thousand of these fuckers for them not just to render, but to also dynamax them too. The games after Sword and Shield are likely gonna allow us to have all of the Poke'mon but for now we get what they can bring us in time for the deadline.
Iroha stripped for me
#34  June 12, 2019, 05:14:07 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
Actually it was confirmed(?) in a statement that this fixed Pokédex thing was how Pokémon games were going to be from here on out.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#35  June 12, 2019, 08:08:54 pm
    • Brazil
Let's be real here, Gamefreak can't balance. You can't design things like Aegislash and Mega Salamence and bring up battle balance. The prime reason is that there's nearly a thousand of these fuckers for them not just to render, but to also dynamax them too. The games after Sword and Shield are likely gonna allow us to have all of the Poke'mon but for now we get what they can bring us in time for the deadline.
Mega Salamence can't take a bit of snow on his nose and you say he is unbalanced? You must be joking.

Actually it was confirmed(?) in a statement that this fixed Pokédex thing was how Pokémon games were going to be from here on out.

I honestly doubt thats what he said, and a random wall of japanese text tells me nothing.
#36  June 12, 2019, 08:17:57 pm
  • Self-proclaimed best creator!
...I've seen so many dislikes in the Pokémon Sword&Shield E3 gameplay. It's gonna flop that's for sure!
GF should really delay this game to fix this huge issue!
This is fate.
#37  June 12, 2019, 08:36:52 pm
    • Brazil
...I've seen so many dislikes in the Pokémon Sword&Shield E3 gameplay. It's gonna flop that's for sure!
GF should really delay this game to fix this huge issue!
They can just update it afterwards. Like I said, lots of people are saying that the same thing happened to Pokémon Sun/Moon, I doubt they're gonna let this stand.
#38  June 12, 2019, 09:25:23 pm
  • Thanks and God bless
    • USA
    • ricepigeon.neocities.org
Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:32:20 pm by Ricepigeon
#39  June 12, 2019, 09:27:41 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Whenever people speak of Mega Salamence, they better hope its not singles. Doubles and they can be taken care of, cause then you can focus your power on it.
#40  June 12, 2019, 09:47:41 pm
    • Brazil
Mega Salamence can't take a bit of snow on his nose and you say he is unbalanced? You must be joking.

As someone who has actively played competitive Pokemon Singles both before and after Mega Salamence was introduced, reading this statement makes me physically sick. I'm not even joking. What's next? Saying Mega Kangaskhan isn't broken because Slurpuff supposedly counters it?

Doubles and VGC, however, is a different story.
Mega Kangaskhan doesn't die easily to one type.