YesNoOk

My POTS/Infinite WIPs: Kain Blade & Tifa Lockhart (Read 25723 times)

Started by AMultiverseAuthor, June 12, 2019, 03:14:53 am
Share this topic:
My POTS/Infinite WIPs: Kain Blade & Tifa Lockhart
#1  June 12, 2019, 03:14:53 am
    • USA

So yeah... I'm FINALLY working on my first character. It's Kain Blade from Golden Axe: The Duel, and he will have all the fundamentals seen in Infinite, R@CE and SennouRoom's characters. I'm building him off of Memo's POTS template, and the SFF from Werewood's Kain.

But there are some difficulties I might run into since I'm a first timer:

FX: These are the norm for POTS characters right? Well, I don't know how to make 3D effects. But if there are open source effects I can use, let me know.

Rolling animation: Also the norm for POTS characters. Golden Axe didn't have rolling and sidestep mechanics. I dunno... maybe I'll find sprites in Werewood's SFF that will make do for those.

Feel free to help me out here. And if you want, make your own palettes and post them in the thread.

6/21/2019 Update

Updating this post because here's another character I got in the works. I'm using the sprites from Nexus Games's Tifa because the palette looks a helluva lot better than YAMAKICHI's. Also, NG's Tifa plays like a DivineWolf character instead of Infinite's Cloud.

Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 01:13:35 am by YoRHa Unit A2
Re: POTS/Infinite Kain Blade
#2  June 12, 2019, 05:03:01 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Unless you've gotten a ton of practice coding MUGEN characters prior, this is a pretty big up-taking for a first character, especially if you're striving for PotS accuracy. Phantom.of.the.Server's characters are really complex in basically every aspect, not to mention you'll need to study CvS2 to see what functions right as an equivalent to a weapon user like one from a Golden Axe FG. The FXs are multi-layered helpers just so you know, so, that adds an extra layer (excuse my pun) of difficulty.
#3  June 12, 2019, 07:11:29 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Infinite, R@Ce and Sennou all have different styles, so I suggest trying to achieve accuracy along one style rather than all 3 + PoTS.

I'm excited for this character, and would like to see it done well and be successful. So to echo Nep Heart, you should study characters who use weapons. Nakoruru by PoTS, Haohmaru by Chazzanova, and Genjuro by KarmaChameleon are all good places to look. I would also please, please suggest you take the time to track down the original game and play it, or at least find footage of Kain Blade, so you have an idea of what he does in the game and how it would translate to a "CVS3" style.

In terms of missing sprites, this looks a bit extra but could do for a sidestep, see if theres enough sprites relating to this one/its animation in the SFF

Also, you don't neccesarily need to have a roll, custom combo, parry, etc. PoTS made his Darkstalkers characters act much more similar to their source games than CVS or his custom style. I would stress you take the time to try and come with a unique-CVS3 take on the gameplay system of GA:TD
#4  June 12, 2019, 08:31:19 am
    • USA
Looking forward to this one. You know, Dick Buckus planned to do his own take of Kain Blade. Can't wait to see what you got in store
#5  June 12, 2019, 09:09:50 am
  • This big boy spitting out 250 rounds a minute!!!
    • USA
    • https://infiniteff.forumotion.com/t533-all-chars-by-rce-akir-jeanne-d-arc-released
Im interested as to what you'll do with this character as well. Some things I will say, since this is your first character, try not to rush it and also in my opinion, don't feel too pressured. Make the character how you ever you feel like making it and have fun but try to find some balance for the sake of gameplay purposes. Even if you don't get it right the 1st time around, its ok, that's what updates are for. Converting someone who didn't play in the gameplay style originally is kind of sketchy as it is, but finding "SOME" kind of balance is key.

I always wanted to make my own Kain Blade after what I saw Buckus was going to do a few years back so I'll be looking forward to yours.
#6  June 12, 2019, 03:24:55 pm
    • USA
I'm not coding him right now. I'm still building the SFF.

What's done so far:

-Walking (Forward)
-Walking (Backward)
-Turning animation (Standing)
-Turning animation (Crouching)
#7  June 15, 2019, 12:30:33 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Oh, Kain Blade in POTS Style!? This should be interesting, looking forward for this. Good luck ED. :)
#8  June 16, 2019, 03:48:51 am
    • USA
Infinite, R@Ce and Sennou all have different styles, so I suggest trying to achieve accuracy along one style rather than all 3 + PoTS.

I apologize, I meant to say features not fundamentals. And I wouldn't say they have different styles because characters made by Infinite, Sennou, R@CE and Falcon Rapper (forgot to mention him) have these features in common:

-Palette Selector
-Config files that let you toggle chain combos, air combos, sounds, etc

I would stress you take the time to try and come with a unique-CVS3 take on the gameplay system of GA:TD

I'll see what I can do. The source game was nothing special, aside from the magic system. It came out in '94 and by then, fighting games have graduated from trying to copy Street Fighter II's vanilla "I hit you, you hit me, no super meters included" gameplay.

I always wanted to make my own Kain Blade after what I saw Buckus was going to do a few years back so I'll be looking forward to yours.

I saw that too. Was looking forward to his Kain Blade, but he never released it. Goat and Shiva were other WIPs he didn't finish.

#9  June 16, 2019, 04:02:16 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Looks good, even if he looks tall compared to Urien.
Other plans of GAD characters in this style ?
#10  June 16, 2019, 04:30:26 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
I think the styles are quite different outside of those two similarities (and other aesthetic choices) personally.
#11  June 17, 2019, 03:37:05 am
    • USA
Looks good, even if he looks tall compared to Urien.

Fixed. I scaled him down to

xscale           = 0.57       
yscale           = 0.53

Other plans of GAD characters in this style?

I might consider making Death Adder. If I get the hang of coding how his shield works. In the source game, it breaks after taking too much damage,

Nexus Games made a POTS Milan Flare, but... it's meh. I don't want to sound like an ass, but his coding leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I'll fix up his Milan, and Tifa Lockhart in the future.

#12  June 17, 2019, 03:44:46 am
    • USA
You can do a lot without extra sprites. Get creative with that magic system, maybe take some pointers from how they did Simon in smash. How Bexmius did Devilotte is another good example, The Unknown solider someone was working on. Did something similar with Marco from Metal Slug, gave him his arensal from said game.
#13  June 17, 2019, 07:41:06 am
    • USA
    • https://infiniteff.forumotion.com/t533-all-chars-by-rce-akir-jeanne-d-arc-released
Just a suggestion but you could use Warusaki's Haohmaru as a reference to help balance out how a CVS character with a sword should play and to help scale, damage wise.

#14  June 19, 2019, 06:24:08 am
    • USA
Just a suggestion but you could use Warusaki's Haohmaru as a reference to help balance out how a CVS character with a sword should play and to help scale, damage wise.

I'll look into it when I start coding.

Anyway, here's a sample.

When I added Werewood's SFF onto the template, things got messy. Some frames look inconsistent. But I found a workaround by going to the AIR section and copying the time/ticks for each frame from his Kain.

Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:30:38 am by EndlessDream
#15  June 19, 2019, 07:19:48 am
    • USA
Looking good! Also if you need help to get the basics down as far as the system goes, look into Divine Wolfs KFM and make the needed adjustments in the AIR file bit by bit until everything matches up. A lot of older characters dont have the needed sprites to do everything so his KFM is perfect because it shows you what you can do with limited sprites.
#16  June 19, 2019, 09:33:48 pm
    • USA
Alright, I got his Normals fixed.

What's missing next?

-Dodging
-Rolling
-Air guard
-Power Charge
-Special Moves
-Taunt
-Win poses

I might have to do some frankenspriting for some of these...

https://streamable.com/k89hs
#17  June 19, 2019, 09:38:21 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
I'm kinda bothered by the Sword Swings, becuase of the slashes on them.
One would remove the fire from the slash and convert it to Hi-Res, but I guess you wouldn't be capable of that.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#18  June 19, 2019, 09:46:14 pm
    • USA
I'm kinda bothered by the Sword Swings, becuase of the slashes on them. One would remove the fire from the slash and convert it to Hi-Res, but I guess you wouldn't be capable of that.

Doesn't Fighter Factory have a tool that lets you edit sprites? I could use that. Or remove the sword slashes in GIMP.
#19  June 20, 2019, 07:41:28 pm
    • USA
So I responded to RagingRowen's feedback and removed the sword slashes. The process was tedious as fuck but it paid off. I used FF3's image editor to take them out.

https://streamable.com/hrxkq

And this is the first of many custom sprites for my Kain Blade. It was made from his guard and jumping frames in GIMP.

#20  June 20, 2019, 11:36:30 pm
    • USA
So I responded to RagingRowen's feedback and removed the sword slashes. The process was tedious as fuck but it paid off. I used FF3's image editor to take them out.

https://streamable.com/hrxkq

And this is the first of many custom sprites for my Kain Blade. It was made from his guard and jumping frames in GIMP.

If you need help with the sword whoosh like FX, you could use Haohmaru's sword FX and use Angle Draw coding and Scale coding to help shape them onto Kain Blade's sword as if they were meant for him. Like how me, Sennou Room and others have done for sword like characters.

If you do decide to, please go download my version of Haohmaru as I made some really top notch Double High Res sword FX that you can use. It'll give him that CVS like feel if you manage to pull it off right.

Also note, there are 2 versions, one that has all the colors in the FX, and the other with the FX matching the palette which downgrades the quality of the FX. Go with whatever you want