YesNoOk

Status that prevents opponent from attacking? (Read 4547 times)

Started by fles, June 11, 2019, 10:21:02 am
Share this topic:
Status that prevents opponent from attacking?
#1  June 11, 2019, 10:21:02 am
Hello. Is there a way to inflict a "status condition" on the opponent that prevents them from using their attacks? They should still be able to walk, jump, block and so on the same way they normally do, but not attack. If there is a character that already does this, I cannot think of it.
Re: Status that prevents opponent from attacking?
#2  June 11, 2019, 11:02:24 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
only in full games or if both characters share at least some code
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#3  June 11, 2019, 01:26:21 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
Unconventional and tricky way to achieve it as it requires a bug, but this can be done via reversaldef exploit. If you're aware of how the reversaldef glitch can be used to achieve the poison effect, you can use this very same method to force P2 to immediately selfstate anytime they attempt to go into states 20 (walking state), 40 (jumping state) and 120 to 155 (guard states).
#4  June 11, 2019, 01:52:18 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I did something in the realm of this with my character... his lvl 3 Ultra has a very detailed cutscene.  So as to prevent bugs and such in Simul mode, a fullscreen invisible "crowd control" helper gets spawned when the Ultra captures the enemy.  It targets all players, checks whether they are in the air or standing, and puts them into a custom state that disables their controls and makes them stand throughout the move.

So you could have a similar kind of full-screen helper that will "hit" any enemy that is in an Attack type state.  You could have conditions checking if they are in the air, standing, etc, and immediately SelfState them to the appropriate state.  So it would interrupt their attacks.

#5  June 12, 2019, 11:23:52 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I don't know how it will behave with blocking. But just putting them into a custom state and using changestate at the end of it rather than selfstate achieves most of that. Blocking might let them out.

Being hit again does. But you're hitting them so you can send them to a custom state again anywhay and restart the status lock.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#6  June 17, 2019, 03:10:19 am
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
Couldn't you just place an assetspecial in the custom states you lock them in to avoid the guard though?

Something like this:
Code:
[state no guard]
type = assertspecial
trigger1 = 1
flag = nostandguard
flag2 = nocrouchguard
flag3 = noairguard

Though, thinking about it, if you go that far you might as well make a second common to send them to.
Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:27:06 am by Bannana
#7  June 17, 2019, 12:23:11 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
No locking required. If you changestate them after a custom state they can only do hardcoded stuff. Its why the out is always a selfstate. I suppose you could mod your own common1 to do the assertspecial if name != yourchar. But it wouldn't work in a mirror match.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#8  June 17, 2019, 01:07:42 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
An old Maki (sister of Chizuru from KOF) had a similar code that forced all stateno above 1000 change states to basic ones.
It wasn't perfect but I think that's a way you could do it.
Use a helper to stick on to a target, and make it forcefully change state once it goes over 1000 or smth.
#9  June 30, 2019, 03:10:16 am
    • UK
What if you attached a hitbox to the enemy character somehow, and it was always dealing damage but it can only hurt foes who try to Attack?
#10  June 30, 2019, 05:54:06 am
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Fullscreen invisible helper.
*thumbsup*

#11  September 08, 2019, 05:41:28 pm
    • UK
Sorry to bump but it's relevant to this thread I swear. I found a Kishibe Rohan character that can do something like this. How does his "You can't attack me" move work?
#12  September 08, 2019, 11:23:28 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
Study him, that's how it works. The fact that you've obtained alone already answered half of that question.