YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17366129 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2121  June 17, 2019, 08:24:47 pm
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Smash really should not be used for any form of basis on any character unless they directly specify the version of the character they're using is that one Smash just invented.  Because besides Smash having no real sense of proper powerscaling between the franchises because they're, well, freaking living trophies imitating their real-world counterparts because the games are supposed to be a representation of kids playing with their toys so who cares, that would also make this Captain Falcon, like, a couple inches tall? 

Not that that's stopped them before counting it for Ganondorf and very-much so for Samus, which I never got because fighting Boba Fett was always such a stomp that the guy wouldn't even touch her.  But it's a Monty Oum reference, so whatever.  And I don't expect it to stop them in this case because Captain Falcon's an odd case where his identity pretty much comes from Smash.
#2122  June 20, 2019, 12:30:05 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Johnny Quest

:EDIT: And Lieutenant Hawk

Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 01:03:43 am by Person Man
#2123  July 03, 2019, 07:24:01 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Death Battle is up

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#2124  July 03, 2019, 09:19:07 pm
    • USA
Eh.  Doesn't feel right but whatever.

Next fight is....interesting.  One-sided but interesting.
#2125  July 04, 2019, 08:01:36 am
  • Was it something I said?

Spoiler: Next Fight (click to see content)

#2126  July 04, 2019, 11:06:38 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#2127  July 04, 2019, 03:06:44 pm
    • USA
Spoiler: Next Fight (click to see content)
Aang is usually an interesting topic in a versus match due to his energybending being a neat counter to many opponents with skillsets of a similar origin from one's body.  In this particular case however, I do not believe alchemy works in such a manner that they need some form of enhanced energy running through them, the "magic" as it is, is all performed as a tool outside of their physical capabilities, they just direct the tool.  So I would believe that no, there's nothing special TO take from Edward.  Unless we somehow equate the soul/missing body parts exchanged to heaven/God/that big black door to chakra and make him lose the whole "don't need transmutation circles anymore" bit, which I highly doubt they'll go for a stretch that far.

However, I highly doubt he will need it in this case.  Aang versus Naruto would have been the more interesting match-up due to Aang's effectively touch of death and versitility compared to Naruto's bigger powers and survivability.  Aang versus Edward.....well, Aang can dodge lightning, traverse and manipulate the battlefield completely to his control, shown bigger feats and has the added benefit of all his past lives looking over his shoulder for help and willing to step in when needed, since this isn't Korra yet so the tie hasn't been severed.  Which while I don't have all the past avatars memorized, all you really need is Kyoshi moving a continent with fans to say they'd win.

Unfortunately, from what I can recall from the Avatar comics, Aang never wanted to learn metalbending.  Leaving it to Toph to both create and master and then somewhere along the line pass along to her students/minions.  So we probably won't be getting any metal arm and leg bending goofiness.
#2128  July 04, 2019, 04:01:33 pm
    • USA
^  Unless they pull one of those "it stands to reason ____ could also do something similar."

It's been a hot minute since I've watched FMA, but from what I remember its version of alchemy was based on the deconstruction and reconstruction of the four classical elements, whereas bending is about manipulating them.  That is one thing that could skew the fight in Edward's favor;  Aang would have to work with what he has available while Ed can create whatever he needs.
#2129  July 04, 2019, 04:54:56 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
but then again wouldnt Avatar State give Aang edge with skills and knowledge of past avatars?
#2130  July 04, 2019, 06:02:58 pm
    • USA
Yeah, Ed's simply not getting past avatar state.  He's simply not going to be able to cope with fire and/or lava being thrown at him, drowning, mountains being tossed upon him while asphyxiation takes him.  Looking at Korra for comparison since her series makes more use of it, she needed to have gotten a lethal dose of mercury poisoning running through her for an extended period of time just to bring her down to a master savant airbender's level.

It's been a hot minute since I've watched FMA, but from what I remember its version of alchemy was based on the deconstruction and reconstruction of the four classical elements, whereas bending is about manipulating them.  That is one thing that could skew the fight in Edward's favor;  Aang would have to work with what he has available while Ed can create whatever he needs.
That is a good point and comparison between them.  However, Aang's range of control vastly eclipse's Ed's range of manipulation.  Ed at most that I recall can make walls or buildings, and pretty much only does so through solid matter.  Alchemists throughout the series mess around with all range of the states of matter, but Ed himself isn't that well versed.  I don't recall him, say, altering all the oxygen in the local area to poisonous gas.  He's specialized, like all the state alchemists, his schtick is metal.  Meanwhile Aang can just continuously pull from the Earth for his arsenal until, well, the planet's all gone, really.
#2131  July 04, 2019, 06:36:01 pm
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
Since its a death battle,is there anything that stops Aang from suffacating him with air bending?,
#2132  July 04, 2019, 06:59:02 pm
    • USA
Their general rule about comparing character's feats and strengths mathematically and determining who's stronger overall as opposed to giving the win to the first one who could get one good move in one specific scenario.  Death Battle tends to shy away from the "X could beat Y if X did this, this, and this" line of reasoning and is more about "X has demonstrated this ability that exceeds what Y has demonstrated they're capable of defending against."
#2133  July 04, 2019, 07:00:04 pm
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
Oh okay then,
#2134  July 10, 2019, 09:14:17 pm
    • USA
Ana Ng

#2135  July 11, 2019, 12:15:24 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Yeah which is one of the reasons why some people criticize the way they do matches because of comparing feats but at the end of it all it's entertainment.
#2136  July 12, 2019, 11:06:37 am
    • Germany
Never saw Full Metal Alchemist so I don't know how strong Edward is, but Aang is basically a demigod when he reaches avatar state, especially after he mastered all 4 Elements, soo did Edward ever beat something with a similar kind of power?
#2137  July 12, 2019, 04:31:24 pm
well edward killed a god or close to it.
#2138  July 13, 2019, 12:23:18 am
    • Germany
#2139  July 13, 2019, 01:23:58 am
    • USA
A heavy asterisk next to that "killed a god", though.  He punched out/whacked with a bunch of bricks a semi-immortal man who lost/was losing his powers and he just finished him off.

Ridiculously heavy spoilers, obviously, for the very last episode of the series, but in all honesty they will most likely cover this in the full thing regardless.  It would be more akin to say at this point that Edward defeated someone with a pretty good healing factor that was fading away by whaling on him.

To also answer an earlier question that Person Man is accurate on it not being the focus of their analysis but....yeah, there's pretty much nothing at all preventing Aang from doing to Edward what Zaheer did to the Earth Queen in Legend of Korra and forcibly remove the oxygen from Ed's lungs until asphyxiation.  A scene that's remarkibly hard to find on YouTube to demostrate without it being some stupid little AMV for some reason.
#2140  July 14, 2019, 09:16:35 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
DBX is back