YesNoOk

Project! remake REAL General use widescreen 16:9 Mugen Stages (ez way found) (Read 13492 times)

Started by beterhans, August 07, 2019, 06:48:02 pm
Share this topic:
Project! remake REAL General use widescreen 16:9 Mugen Stages (ez way found)
#1  August 07, 2019, 06:48:02 pm
I found most people still use 4:3 screen raitio since the 16:9 support on Mugen 1.0 sucks.
Let me explain
Let's look at the screenshot below

This is a normal 4:3 screenshot. when you play you feel normal. if you jump the screen camera barely move so the play feels stable and smooth.
But when you set mugen  or stage to 16:9 Mugen 1.0 will do the following

It cut the upper screen instead of give you a wide view (more to see) to display the 16:9 raito.
The result is you have less to see. and the character's head is almost reach the top of the screen and it's too big! if the character jumps the camera will move like crazy to follow the character. your gameplay experience will be no good and you may feel dizzy.
if you set mugen to scratch the pixel and it become worse.
what you want is

And you cannot fix this in Mugen 1.0!
the only way to make it look right is to shrink your character down to fit the stage.
but let's say you have 100 character in your roster, are you willing to do that 100 times just for some 16:9 stage? 2nd you still got information cut on the top not information added to left and right. this is not widescreen! this is shortscreen (it's cheating). unless they are both 16:9 in ratio.
So In my opinion it's the stage should adapt not characters.

Lucklly Mugen 1.1 is able to fix the problem with it's zoom feature.
basicly you make the 16:9 stage to zoom out and you got more to see, then it's a real widescreen! and character will not be too big.

The following is the way I found for converting a 4:3 stage into a real widescreen 16:9 stage without all re-arrange the BG Element. (may be some)

1. Change to 16:9 raitio
open a 4:3 stage def file search for "localcoord" in [StageInfo] like
Code:
localcoord = 640,480
if you can't find it the default value is 320,240 you just add localcoord = 320,240

The KEY thing is you DON'T change the Y value! if you change it, you'll need to re-arrange all BG Elements which is a hard work.
You fit in the new x value with Y value x 1.77777777 (here is 480 x 1.7777777 = 853.333296) and you should round it up to a even number so I'll fill the x value as 854
the new setting is
Code:
localcoord = 854,480

2. zoom out let you have more to see and make character not too big!
search for
Code:
zoomin = 1.0
zoomout = 0.6
in [Camera]
if don't have the default value is 1.0 (no zoom)
I suggest you use (current value - 0.25)
so in this example is
Code:
zoomin = 0.75
zoomout = 0.35
if these 2 values are the same, then the stage won't zoom in / out based on the character's distance.

Now is almost done! only small tweaks are needed.
fire your mugen and have a look.
you will need to tweak following value
Code:
[Camera]
boundleft = -1000 (sys x Camera which is always in middle of the screen can move to the life for 1000 pixels.
boundright = 1000
boundhigh = -400 (sys y camera will stop go up if pass this line)
tension = 400 (stage will zoom out if players distance to back edge is smaller than this value.)
tensionhigh = 300 ;Y Pos camera start to go up (if player reach 300 pixel down from the 0 high point)
tensionlow = 280 ;Y Pos Camera start to zoom out (if player reach 280 pixel down from the 0 high point)

You may also want to tweak these values
Code:
[PlayerInfo]
p1startx = -280 (now you are in wider screen so you may need to increase this one to prevent characters get too close
p2startx = 280
After all these your new 16:9 real general use mugen 1.1 stage is ready!

I'll start to convert some of mine stages and some stages that I liked alot

you can post stages you like if I'm interested I may pick them up for converting.

you can also follow the steps I've mentioned and Do it by yourself.
Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 03:23:37 am by beterhans
Re: Project! remake REAL General use wildscreen 16:9 Mugen Stages (ez way found)
#2  August 07, 2019, 06:51:45 pm
Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 03:23:57 am by beterhans
Re: Project! remake REAL General use wildscreen 16:9 Mugen Stages (ez way found)
#3  August 07, 2019, 07:32:31 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
It cuts the bottom part of the screen, not the top.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
Re: Project! remake REAL General use widescreen 16:9 Mugen Stages (ez way found)
#4  August 09, 2019, 01:47:29 am
  • ★ Graphical Enthusiast ★
    • Japan
You basically explained what i've been doing for years and what i still do to this day, and in fact, i was ABOUT To make a post explaining and questioning the pro's/cons of character Localcoords vs Stage Zoom.

The process for converting stages to be zoom/16:9 compatable is a very simple one, and if you know what your doing each stage (Depending on the base stage's size) can take anywhere between 5 - 30 mins.

You also keep talking about 1.0, but 1.0 doesn't have the Zoom feature. I think you may of meant 1.1.

You also forgot to mention that, like Aensland Castle, if your stage has a overlay sprite, you have to modify either the sprites size directly in SFF (I.e resizing the sprite via the Image Editor and changing to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 to be safe) or modify it's "Zoomdelta" value in it's parameters via the stages .def file.

Like so:

Code:
[BG BLACK HUE RAY]
type  = anim
actionno = 2000
start = 0, -400
delta = 0, 0
mask = 1
layerno = 1
scalestart = 4, 4
Zoomdelta = 0

I may make a video or thread showing the conversion process. I've added Zoom to every stage i've downloaded, whether it was small, 4:3 or just didn't support a zoom as far as I use. 243 Stages in my current lineup, not including the ones i tried and didn't keep in my list.
Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:59:58 am by Yue
Re: Project! remake REAL General use widescreen 16:9 Mugen Stages (ez way found)
#5  August 09, 2019, 04:31:11 am
You basically explained what i've been doing for years and what i still do to this day, and in fact, i was ABOUT To make a post explaining and questioning the pro's/cons of character Localcoords vs Stage Zoom.

The process for converting stages to be zoom/16:9 compatable is a very simple one, and if you know what your doing each stage (Depending on the base stage's size) can take anywhere between 5 - 30 mins.

You also keep talking about 1.0, but 1.0 doesn't have the Zoom feature. I think you may of meant 1.1.

You also forgot to mention that, like Aensland Castle, if your stage has a overlay sprite, you have to modify either the sprites size directly in SFF (I.e resizing the sprite via the Image Editor and changing to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 to be safe) or modify it's "Zoomdelta" value in it's parameters via the stages .def file.

Like so:

Code:
[BG BLACK HUE RAY]
type  = anim
actionno = 2000
start = 0, -400
delta = 0, 0
mask = 1
layerno = 1
scalestart = 4, 4
Zoomdelta = 0

I may make a video or thread showing the conversion process. I've added Zoom to every stage i've downloaded, whether it was small, 4:3 or just didn't support a zoom as far as I use. 243 Stages in my current lineup, not including the ones i tried and didn't keep in my list.

That's great!
can't wait to check your video.