YesNoOk

[CAPCOM] V.S. [SNK] Sprites (Read 2755 times)

Started by Kolossoni, September 21, 2019, 06:33:32 am
Share this topic:

Poll

Which art style do you prefer?

CAPCOM
19 (63.3%)
SNK
11 (36.7%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

[CAPCOM] V.S. [SNK] Sprites
#1  September 21, 2019, 06:33:32 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
As a MUGEN content creator, I got curious when I saw that there were more Capcom styled characters than SNK styled ones in MUGEN (regardless of cheap edits).

I personally prefer SNK sprites since I was raised very close to Japan (where SNK games were more popular). And I heard that many South American people love SNK style as well.

My friends who were brought up in the US or elsewhere outside of Asia claim Capcom's more West-friendly due to their artstyle.

Which one do you guys prefer?
Or do you guys prefer something else? (i.e. motion captured like MK?)
Re: [CAPCOM] V.S. [SNK] Sprites
#2  September 21, 2019, 08:10:26 am
    • crepa.neocities.org
Interesting thread. I personally like more Capcom's style, probably because I grew up playing Capcom games. The first ever fighting game I played was Street Fighter 2, and I fell in love with it. At the time I played the console versions, I rarely went to play on arcades. From then, I fell in love with the Street Fighter franchise itself, playing the alpha series, and... Marvel vs Capcom, was one of the games I loved the most because of the style, musics, and so on. On the other side, I didn't know much about SNK games, the one I played most was Fatal Fury 2 I think. And at the time the sprites style wasn't defined yet, FF2 and SF2 were almost the same in terms of sprites. It was later with the Alpha series / Marvel series and the KOF series that the style was stablished I think. To be honest, as a kid I can't remember playing a KOF game. I didn't know much about SNK, until I play Capcom vs SNK (the first one), I saw all of those Fatal Fury characters there and found out about the company, but still, I was a kid at the time and didn't pay much attention to art or anything. It was just after I found out about MUGEN that I knew SNK better, their games, their history, their characters, and so on. But still, I had played too much Capcom games that they were some sort of reference to me, and because of that, I always liked their style more.
#3  September 21, 2019, 09:31:35 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I was raised when both had the same art style (nearly the same)

I eventually started beiing more into Capcom because I cannot access a Neo Geo.
Then, with emulation, I started to be into SNK style.

Now, I would say, I'm definitely more into capcom style, but I really like SNK sprites as well!
#4  September 21, 2019, 12:54:15 pm
SNK sprites all the way for me.

SNK hands down had the best 2d back in the day.

#5  September 21, 2019, 12:55:23 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
It really depends,I do love Capcom's sprite style more than Kof most of the time but if we are including Garou Mark of the wolves or Rage of the Dragon then I must sayy that SNK is better
#6  September 21, 2019, 01:31:49 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I honestly love both equally, so here are my favorite styles from each company:

CAPCOM:  Capcom vs SNK, Marvel vs Capcom (more specifically, how Capcom drew and animated the Marvel characters), JoJo (Heritage For The Future), Street Fighter 3

SNK: Real Bout Fatal Fury, Garou, Art of Fighting 3, Last Blade

If I had to really choose which I prefer more, it probably goes to Capcom because I love their art style in general (Bengus, Akiman, and Kinu are some of my favorite artists). It doesn't diminish my love for SNK though, and I think they are titans in their own right, and anyone who denies that is out of their collective mind.
This is a generic forum signature.
#7  September 21, 2019, 01:33:46 pm
  • Spoiler
  • let's bring order to chaos
    • Mexico
    • none
SNK for kof styled sprites, Mexican mostly will agree woth this because we were more able to play SNK titles than Capcom ones.

And they are good sprites.

From Capcom I like CvS and MvC sprites.

I voted SNK anyways.
            Zorf Giudecca
#8  September 21, 2019, 01:45:08 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
I like both.
I've played both original SNK sprited games, and Capcom sprited games in the past.
For Mugen I play both, usually specifically with one type of sprite and gameplay.

I think SNK is more realistic, and Capcom more cartoony. Capcom sprites fits very well with other styles however, like Rage of the Dragon, Power Instinct, etc. A lot of original content is created with more Capcom in mind.

I prefer both, to be perfectly honest, but I do find myself playing more with Capcom, so I guess that will be my answer this time.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#9  September 21, 2019, 02:18:40 pm
  • Hi my name is Dave, i am a SFZ3 addicted
    • Brazil
love both, but i give little bit more sugar to SNK, i grow up in arcades and kof, fatal fury, metal slug, was more present in my neighbourhood
#10  September 21, 2019, 02:43:24 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
I like both but I fill like KOF sprites should've have changed earlier. Neo Geo Battle Coliseum sprites were good too and I like they started not using bland lifeless colors.

CVS is great too but some characters don't look good with it like King. I personally think Big Bang Beats is better than CVS.

The best one for me would have to be the one's done by Natsume and Banpresto with games like MMPR, Ninjawarriors and Sailormoon. That and Waku Waku 7.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#11  September 21, 2019, 06:12:20 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
SNK's detailing is great, so I have to go with them.