YesNoOk

Show off a feature in my characters which nobody cares (Read 2635 times)

Started by beterhans, September 08, 2019, 05:57:04 pm
Share this topic:
Show off a feature in my characters which nobody cares
#1  September 08, 2019, 05:57:04 pm
Re: Show off a feature in my characters which nobody cares
#2  September 08, 2019, 10:05:56 pm
  • BRAIIIIINS!!
  • "Khh- Ahahahaha!"
    • Chile
Interesting feature, I love it!
#3  September 08, 2019, 11:53:10 pm
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Throws being invincible once they hit is a thing in Fighting games in general, not just Mugen.
#4  October 17, 2019, 03:16:56 am
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
This would be an amazing feature if it was implemented into MUGEN itself. Unfortunately, that will never happen, but hey... one can hope.
♪ This is Major Tom to Ground Control ♪
#5  October 17, 2019, 03:21:41 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 I mean, you can totally do this already, just make it so that there are no nothitby SCTRLs active and both the thrower and throwee have collision boxes on while making changestate/selfstate checks in the case anyone is hit during the throw states. Thing is because what Darkflare said is pretty much what the majority prefer since that works better on a functional level. So, it's not that MUGEN doesn't support it more so the fact most people don't like the idea in the first place.
#6  October 17, 2019, 03:38:09 am
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
I mean, you can totally do this already, just make it so that there are no nothitby SCTRLs active and both the thrower and throwee have collision boxes on while making changestate/selfstate checks in the case anyone is hit during the throw states. Thing is because what Darkflare said is pretty much what the majority prefer since that works better on a functional level. So, it's not that MUGEN doesn't support it more so the fact most people don't like the idea in the first place.

I mean, I suppose people can argue against the idea that they don't want to be interrupted, but at the same time, it seems like a really useful idea. Like... if you're in the middle of about to lose, and then your partner can save you barely in time... now that is what I would call an epic play if you then win. Of course, I get it, nobody wants to be interrupted like that, but still... its fascinating.
♪ This is Major Tom to Ground Control ♪
#7  October 17, 2019, 03:48:07 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 Yeah, it's a why it's considered a subjective mechanic compared to more conventional kinds. Most people don't like it, but there are some who do like the idea. So, whether the character has this mechanic or not really depends if the author wants it in their character or not really. I'd imagine those authors focus more on Simul Mode over Single considering the notion behind the concept.
#8  October 17, 2019, 11:51:43 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
I mean, I suppose people can argue against the idea that they don't want to be interrupted, but at the same time, it seems like a really useful idea. Like... if you're in the middle of about to lose, and then your partner can save you barely in time... now that is what I would call an epic play if you then win. Of course, I get it, nobody wants to be interrupted like that, but still... its fascinating.
What you call epic play I call getting robbed by a bad mechanic.
Not all characters have quick throw animations. Being able to call your partner to interrupt a throw just makes turtling a stronger strategy since it removes a key method to getting through guards + removes a mix up option. You basically make throws useless.

Again...
Throws being invincible once they hit is a thing in Fighting games in general, not just Mugen.

There's a reason why it's like this.
#9  October 17, 2019, 01:57:22 pm
What you call epic play I call getting robbed by a bad mechanic.
Not all characters have quick throw animations. Being able to call your partner to interrupt a throw just makes turtling a stronger strategy since it removes a key method to getting through guards + removes a mix up option. You basically make throws useless.

Again...

There's a reason why it's like this.

just like real life, if your friend been grab by someone and getitng throwed you want to help him by stop the throw
i just can't withstand the fact you need to watch your friend get tortured by other side (especially super long throw) and can do nothing about it.

the real reason why it's like this is....
it is sample to code.
the coder just need to think about one out come. and do the coding.

but if the throw is breakable like the demo in the video it's very complicated compare to invincible one.
the thrower need to check the state of the one who is getting throwed. is he in the state i expected?
if not where is him? what should i do? based on what, what animation should i play?
the one who getting throwed also need to check many questions.
like who is throwing me?
is he still doing the job?
if he is hit by another guy and lost me? what should I do?
should I fly away? or apply gravity?
when should i touch the ground?

but if the throw is invincible. non of the above need to be checked.

#10  October 17, 2019, 02:50:13 pm
  • The Illusionary Wanderer
  • I have a dream
    • Vietnam

just like real life, if your friend been grab by someone and getitng throwed you want to help him by stop the throw
i just can't withstand the fact you need to watch your friend get tortured by other side (especially super long throw) and can do nothing about it.

Actually, no. I would laugh at his face for not being to tech that throw.
Joke aside, for functioning reasons, throw has always let both player and target be invincible (this is also a thing in Tag-team fighting game). To actually make the gameplay having senses, sometimes normal logic must be thrown out of the window and this is one of these times. I don't mind if you do this to your characters since this is MUGEN and everyone can do whatever they want but this is just plain wrong in a fighting game (for all of the reasons have been stated by DarkFlare).
#11  October 17, 2019, 07:20:19 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA

I mean, if we're talking realism, affectteam = B would need to be turned on and we'd also need to adopt every mechanic from Shinra's Marylin Sue then. :P