Mugen's Filetypes (Read 21752 times)

Started by aokmaniac13, August 25, 2005, 05:27:25 pm
Share this topic:
Mugen's Filetypes
#1  August 25, 2005, 05:27:25 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
This is just a repost by the way

DEF files are mostly definitions.  For characters, it defines the name, author, and included files.  In the data folder there are
select.def  -  defines characters in the select screen and where/when you fight them
system.def  -  defines how the menu screen, versus screen, and character select screen should look like
fight.def  -  defines how different fightfx and lifebars should be used/placed during a match

SFF files contain sprites, for characters it obviously cotains any and all sprites for the character.  There are also SFF files in the data folder
system.sff  -  contains sprites for menu screen, versus screen, and select screen
fight.sff  - contains sprites for lifebars and other elements such as pre fight text
fightfx.sff  -  not necessary if every character uses it's own fx, but it contains sprites for various hitsparks and such, for a complete game it is advised that every hitspark be put here.

AIR files contain information about animation times and collision boxes.  Every character has one and in the data folder fightfx.air defines the anim times for everything contained in fightfx.sff

SND files contain sounds, not much to explain.

And files that only characters have:

CMD files define commands and usually contain State -1 in it's entirety.  Otherwise they are treated exactly like CNS files

CNS files are where all (or most) of the programming is at.  You can read the mugen docs to learn more.

ST files are just renamed CNS files.

ACT files are palettes for a character.  It consists of 256 3-byte color entries, where each byte defines red,green,and blue respectively.

NEW

FNT files are fonts that mugen uses to display text in the main menu, select screen, and in fight the names of the fighters next to the lifebar.  Put simply it's just a PCX image of the various letters compiled together with a text file describing where each letter/symbol is located on the image.

Refer to the helpful mugen tools sticky for how to edit these files.
Re: Mugen's Filetypes
#2  August 25, 2005, 09:17:47 pm
  • Lost all his MUGEN stuff in hard disk crash. :(
  • CHIKARA TO EIKOU!!!
    • Philippines
    • Skype - o_hermanm
    • www.rotbrc.com
For those who use system restore and edit CMDs, take note, windows treats CMD files like batch files, and includes them in their backup or restore routines.

Don't be surprised if after using system restore, your CMD files were suddenly reverted.

This applies to Windows ME and XP.
Orochi Herman: MUGEN Creator, Producer Video Editor and Web Programmer

And possibly more other shady things lol

https://www.facebook.com/OrochiHerman/
#3  September 03, 2005, 03:48:04 pm
CNS files are where all (or most) of the programming is at. You can read the mugen docs to learn more.

ST files are just renamed CNS files.

:no:

@Keiyuuki-chan: and for the same reason, CMDs can be infected by virii.
#4  September 03, 2005, 04:20:13 pm
This applies to Windows ME 2000 and XP.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#5  September 03, 2005, 09:01:59 pm
Enhancement of my previous post:

Basically, the CNS is just one file and only contains the constants of the character (position of the head, size, speed, power, etc.), to the opposite of the ST one(s), where the coding should be placed (not necessarily in one file; the code can be split into several files).

And let's not forget about the STCOMMON file (usually COMMON1.CNS).
#6  September 04, 2005, 01:26:15 pm
Basically, the CNS is just one file and only contains the constants of the character (position of the head, size, speed, power, etc.), to the opposite of the ST one(s), where the coding should be placed (not necessarily in one file; the code can be split into several files).
Random sidenote : the thing that led aokmaniac to this mistake is the fact that you actually can put whatever file extension you wish as long as it contains text (mugen code) and you write the same extension in the .def file.
Heck, you can even put all the code in the .def file after the arcade.storyboard part as long as you write "cmd = blah.def, st1 = blah.def"...
The fact that you can put all the cns code in the cns file, or split it into a cns (containing the constant values as described by Jack above) and an st file (contaning the state definitions) is only and addenda to this.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#7  September 04, 2005, 05:56:47 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.  I was writing this in a way so people could understand how KFM works (no st files here) and not be confused when looking at other characters later on.
#8  September 04, 2005, 06:50:44 pm
In addition, any file can have its extension changed without any problem (ie: rename KFM.CNS : KFM.LSD), besides the SFF that should always have a .SFF extension.
#9  September 05, 2005, 07:21:08 am
the Cmd did not work... Or else many Xp problem would be solved....
Thanks Ice, I had complitely forgotten ;)
#10  September 05, 2005, 07:22:57 am
"The Cmd did not work"... Could you elaborate, SlayerGatsu?
#11  September 05, 2005, 07:37:50 am
well back in the days, at my newb time i used to be experimenting and i tried to call the cmd Kmd to solf many xp problems the DOS mugen presented(working under xp).
I remember it did not work.

I just tried on MY mugen, i called the Cmd Kmd and changed it in the def.
at first mugen crushed... Now it works perfectly  :freak:

Ok... so XP user, TRY renaming the CMD to KMD and changing it in the def file,
TO seve a kmd, you must save the doc with Notepad and select the all files option below.

i suggest editing the cmd file, coping all of it, pasting on a blamk notepad and naming it origianal name + Kmd

then edit the def file, AND as if it was magic, MANY random xp developed problems (during game play as well) should never find a tomorrow B)

PS: Make a try first, AS it may not work for everyone...   :ninja:
#12  September 05, 2005, 07:44:36 am
Renaming a .cmd into a .kmd should always work (added to the fact that copy/pasting the text from a .CMD to a .KMD isn't a solution).

Also, I don't get your "many Xp problems", and how it relates to the CMD (or to the topic, for the same matter).
Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 07:46:44 am by BlackJack
#13  September 05, 2005, 08:03:18 am
well...
In addition, any file can have its extension changed without any problem

and since Cmd cause a lot of internal xp problems (stupid ones, i explained some but you ware not here...) it's probably better to call it kmd!

thus since it did not work as i remembered, I assumed that
! any file can have its extension changed

whie it actually worked now for the winmugen....  --;
#14  September 05, 2005, 08:21:13 am
and since Cmd cause a lot of internal xp problems (stupid ones, i explained some but you ware not here...) it's probably better to call it kmd!
Hmm, that I didn't know; I was only aware of the "problem" described by Orochi Herman earlier.

But what still puzzles me is that:

whie it actually worked now for the winmugen....  --;
If it works now (read: no more issue under XP), then it wasn't related to the CMDs.
#15  September 05, 2005, 02:01:12 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
origianal

???

On-topic: You can always open a notepad window, or even opening any text file, and just drag and drop your CMD to that window. It will display your CMD without any need to change or rename extensions.
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#16  October 07, 2005, 01:34:40 pm
  • Teksetter!
I've found it useful to rename those cmd files with the txt extension. In fact you can rename the cns and state files as well. This makes them easy to edit as well
#17  January 26, 2010, 05:22:46 am
So, is there no other way to get the .cmd files back to the way they were ( the command-prompt style)??
Funny thing was, i just changed the language setting on my computer to japanese, and restarted, then all my files in my character's folder was unrecognized.

The operating system is Xp.

The .cmd however, could'nt be open at all, so I changed the folder options and renamed the extension..
I can't put it back the way it was before... Any ideas?
#18  January 30, 2010, 08:29:37 pm
  • Nothing is impossible if you believe
    • Philippines
    • tier-1.co/madlax
#19  March 12, 2010, 04:47:16 pm
how do i open .act files?