Serious Kyo Kusanagi (Read 53087 times)

Started by Elix, July 16, 2007, 03:15:26 am
Share this topic:
Serious Kyo Kusanagi
#1  July 16, 2007, 03:15:26 am
  • "Moyashi tsuku shite yaru..."
Serious Kyo Kusanagi

Story:

Kyo is already 30, he isn't a schoolboy anymore. Though he's relatively young his inherent gift, immense talent and enourmous fighting experience allowed him to reach transcedental levels of fist and flame mastery. Remembering how hard it was to beat Mukai back in 2003, and Orochi's messenger Magaki afterwards, and seeing all those new faces that joined the King of Fighters tournament, he decided that he cannot stay on the same fighting level but has to improve. Therefore he determined to take a journey to seek new techniques that he can learn.
The first man to come to his mind was Ken Masters. They once met in a battle and Kyo remembered him well. Ken Masters was also a fire user though Kyo's flames were of a different nature. Kyo remembered him as a man who used both his hands and legs equally well. Kicking has never been Kyo's profile. That left him feeling somewhat inferior to some of his opponents. So, despite the fact that his decision to learn kicking techniques would brake long-formed traditional Kusanagi-Ryuu Kobujutsu (actually, Kyo have been doing this as far as he remembers himself) and would surely make his father Saisyu angry (yet again), he went to Ken's place. Ken was surprised to say the least that famous King of Fighters champion came to seek his coaching. At first he refused Kyo's request and told him that his arts are not the thing that can be taught easily just like that. Yet Ken was very much interested in this man and in bottom of his heart even felt honored by Kyo's visit. Then Kyo suggested Ken to see for himself whether he is worthy to wield these techniques or not and began a fight. It was a very hot battle. Ken stopped the fight just before Kyo was going to ignite the air with Orochinagi. Kyo's request was accepted.
Kyo was a great apprentice and Ken was a great tutor. After four months of intensive training Kyo went back to Japan where he spent his remaining time until the next tournament in self training. Saisyu was surprised at how his son has matured. Kyo asked his father to teach him some more Kusanagi-Ryuu Kobujutsu techniques and Saisyu showed him a few family secrets. Kyo has gained aerial and double Yami Barai; double Oniyaki; aerial R.E.D. kick, even his rival's Iori Yagami's Yuri Ori and a lot more.
The reason of Kyo Kusanagi's constantly changing moves throughout the KOF tournaments was that he was searching. When Kyo learned a new move, he focused on it completely, and he tried not to use techniques he has already mastered. Now he decides that it is time for him to start using all arsenal of moves he knows. He couldn't have taken on such a difficult task of Choice earlier.
But more than techniques Kyo has acquired something that made him truly a fearsome opponent. A new fighting spirit. Kyo used to be rather lazy and overconfident in his matches. And only when he got serious he were able to defeat his opponents. From now on Kyo will be Serious from the very beginning till the very end of his battles...

Description

Serious Kyo is essentially a KOF XI ex Kyo with greatly enlarged movelist and a lot of extra stuff. The gameplay is made as close to KOF XI as possible. Hit boxes, pause/hittimes, velocities are taken from the origin. At the same time I've always used the newest KOF game possible (It isn't possible to take CLSN boxes from KOF XI, so I used KOF 2002-2003). In the matter of game balance, he is surely more powerful that Kyo from any year. If put into original game, he can be sub-boss or even a boss character because his moves doesn't have major disadvantages. So when I chose between a slow Aragami from KOF 2002 and a fast one from KOF XI I preferred XI.

The final release version of Serious Kyo will have such things as:
- Command buffering (credits goes to Misamu K. Young who shared with me his code which he used at KOFZ. This code was modified by me though to consume 4 variables instead of 40 :P );
- proper cornerpushes (YongMing's code modified by me);
- KOF XI damage scaling;
- counter wire, dizzy, guard crush, guard death;
- super cancels, dream cancels including super cancel bar;
- KOF Maximum Impact stylish arts (new beautiful yet balanced combos);
- dynamic AI. 6-8 levels of difficulty. I haven't yet decided on whether it should depent on Mugen's AI difficulty setting or number of pallettes and such things;
- two strikers & spectators as well - Saisyu Kusanagi & Shingo Yabuki;
- custom pallettes. Example:

;---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The beta release isn't going to occur publicly. The final release date depends on how long will it take me to finish some things. And on my job schedule.
Here's a video I wrote one month ago. There were a lot of flaws in him that time, such as missing sparks/sounds (changed group numbers), incorrect velocities... But it will give you some idea on what he'll be. I'll make another video soon, demonstrating his normals, command and special moves.

Promo video (~70%) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2yo9eB7G5E
Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:55:16 am by Elix
Re: Serious Kyo Kusanagi
#2  July 16, 2007, 03:36:06 am
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/
Cool, how did you get those cool effects for the fire???
WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#3  July 16, 2007, 03:49:18 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
I think he can juggle too much, don't recall the Aragami chain setting opponents for juggles (but then again you're arranging him).
Looks pretty good though.

it should depent on Mugen's AI difficulty
There's no such trigger.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#4  July 16, 2007, 06:06:53 am
    • www-personal.umich.edu/~tdkim/ziltama/
A different outfit would work better and make him seem more original.
#5  July 16, 2007, 08:11:30 am
Cool, how did you get those cool effects for the fire???
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=53183.0
Those values were guessed by me. Right now I'm using KOFZ AfterImage properties which were shared by Misamu from Mugen China and which are actually a lot better :sugoi:
I think he can juggle too much, don't recall the Aragami chain setting opponents for juggles (but then again you're arranging him).
Looks pretty good though.

it should depent on Mugen's AI difficulty
There's no such trigger.
Kyo  can juggle with Aragami so much since KOF XI.  ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuZtuILaV2A
And I was guessing right that there's no such trigger for Mugen so that's reducing number of variants :)
A different outfit would work better and make him seem more original.
Yeah, but for that I'll have to repaint manually 500+ sprites. Won't be able to make this for the beta release.
#6  July 16, 2007, 09:35:33 am
This character looks like my wet dream come true, Elix. I knew you were an awesome person, just never said it out loud.

I like the story you gave him. Creative. :P

And yes, Aragami juggles shitloads in KOFXI. So I don't see the problem with that. Seeing as you are somewhat making everything about Kyo better (and nothing worse, unlike what SNK does to balance their characters), he seems very much sub-boss level; there really isn't much to criticize about what he does in that video of yours. Just looks damn solid to me.

IMO If this Kyo was a real sub-boss, SNK would give him Adel's defence (lowest in the game, about 90 defence MUGEN standards) due to all his offensive advantages.

What DMs will he have? I see that the LDM seems to be (Kusanagi's?) Mushiki, and you demo'd Orochinagi and 182 Shiki. So those are Kyo's staples I guess; but will he have more? I'm really looking forward to (if he will ever get it) an arranged Kamigomi that Kyo developed after all these years. Or maybe an attack (like Kamigomi) but with an entirely different name or something.

Looks great, dude. I'm very excited to see what comes out of this.  As for his outfit, I'd say don't worry about it right now. He looks fine as he is. If there was any new outfit you had in mind, do it later. I say gameplay first.

The gameplay is made as close to KOF XI as possible. Hit boxes, pause/hittimes, velocities are taken from the origin.
BTW, how'd you get KOFXI values? I thought it was impossible. =O

This Kyo is hot. Good luck with the rest, man.
#7  July 16, 2007, 09:55:30 am
BTW, how'd you get KOFXI values? I thought it was impossible. =O
Thanks, K' :) Collision boxes are taken from earlier games. But they remain practicaly the same throughout the years. Pause/hitpauses are counted by eye :) I record 60 FPS videos which I take with a PS2 emulator. As for velocities, I use a tool called "Movement Tool" by Suave Dude. I take position changes and durations from KOF XI and calculate the velocities.

Here's the list of super moves which are going to be in Serious Kyo.

1) DM + SDM 182 Shiki. It's qcf,qcf + A/C in KOF 2003 and in KOF XI. The same command for my Kyo.
2) DM + SDM Orochinagi. No comments :) qcb, hcf + A/C
3) DM + SDM from KOF 99, where Kyo rushes forward and hits opponent then ends with gut punches the opponent. =) qcb, qcb + A/C
4) DM + SDM 524 Shiki: Kamijiri & Kamigomi. It's his HSDM from KOF 2002 and SDM KOF XI. In my Kyo that move will look a little different from the original for both DM & SDM. hcb, hcb + A/C.
5) A qcf,hcb + A/C DM/SDM. It's like Iori's Ya Otome or K''s Chain Drive. Will be pretty spectacular.

The only KOF-like command that is left for DMs with punch button (except Kaiser Wave's f,hcf + A/C, lol) is hcf, hcf + A/C. Which can be used for Shoryu Reppa :D

Now DMs with kick button.

6) KOF 98's Saishuu Kessen Ougi DM + SDM. A DM version will look like EX kyo's SDM and his SDM version looks like his 2003 SDM. qcf, qcf + B/D.
7) Terry Bogard's Power Gayser-like DM and Kyo KOF MI2 like SDM. qcb, hcf + B/D.
8) His father Saisyu's Tsumugari DM + SDM. qcb, qcb + B/D.
9) qcf, hcb + B/D DM + SDM. Will be based on his Koto Tsuki You move. "A" version will be a reversal while "C" version will make Kyo rush towards his opponent.

The remaining commands are  and hcb, hcb + B/D and hcf, hcf + B/D which can be used for Shinryuken :)

The reason for such variety of DMs/SDMs is, well... You can choose from any of them in different situations, they won't bore you very quickly. Besides I'll try to balance them out.

As for now he is going to have one HSDM. Which you can really call a HIDDEN SDM, because you can't just input a command with low life and pull it off. To make this HSDM you need:
1) To enter a special mode (it's like BC mode from  KOF 2002, with the difference that you need 3 power bars to activate it, it lasts longer and you can make HSDM from it :) ;
2) Less than 34% of life;
3) When the above conditions are met, a new long chain combo will be unlocked. If you'll input this combo correctly the HSDM will start (Like brutality activation in Mortal Kombat, lol). I won't tell you how it'll look like, but this is going to be a bomb :P

Any suggestions/remarks are welcome.
#8  July 16, 2007, 02:54:33 pm
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
lol so the reverse of serious kyo would be goofy kyo?
#9  July 16, 2007, 03:05:28 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Concerning the AI levels, I'd go for a config file, or different CMD files, just as Sander's characters.

I'l be definitively looking to this character, seems very good. :yes:
#10  July 16, 2007, 03:46:46 pm
  • Now your gonna feel my hooks! OH YEAH!!
Not a bad promo. All of my favorite moves seem to be in for this version of Kyo. Lookin forward to this release. :)
#11  July 16, 2007, 04:33:43 pm
--; ...  ;D
BTW, Iori is goofy by default, especially Orochi one ;D
Concerning the AI levels, I'd go for a config file, or different CMD files, just as Sander's characters.

AIs will be kept in separate files, like kyo2002.ai, exkyo.ai. Do you think it's a good idea, for example, if CPU chooses 2002 pallette, he fight like 2002 Kyo using only that moves? And so on. The hardest AI will use everything in Kyo's arsenal. I'll also make that you can low down Kyo's AI during a fight by pressing start two (three, four, five, six...) times.
#12  July 16, 2007, 05:09:40 pm
  • Now your gonna feel my hooks! OH YEAH!!
--; ...  ;D
BTW, Iori is goofy by default, especially Orochi one ;D

AIs will be kept in separate files, like kyo2002.ai, exkyo.ai. Do you think it's a good idea, for example, if CPU chooses 2002 pallette, he fight like 2002 Kyo using only that moves? And so on. The hardest AI will use everything in Kyo's arsenal. I'll also make that you can low down Kyo's AI during a fight by pressing start two (three, four, five, six...) times.

You could just use a variable to adjust the A.I. difficulty and put it in a seperate .def file. Another author uses this method but I can't remember who. Anyway, changing it during a fight (especially using the taunt button) shouldn't have opposite effect. IMO
#13  July 16, 2007, 05:26:02 pm
I already had such var :)
[State -2, AI difficulty var]
type = VarSet
trigger1 = var(0) = 1
var(11) = ifelse((Palno=6||palno=12),6,ifelse((palno=5||palno=11),5,ifelse((palno=4||palno=10),4,ifelse((palno=3||palno=9),3,ifelse((palno=2||palno=8),2,1)))))

Anyway, imagine you're fighting my Kyo. You already know the behaviour of different AIs. And now you're facing the most difficult one. But you're not in the mood of breaking a sweat, you can hardly beat AI 4, not speaking of 6. That's why you just press the start button 4 times to reduce it to AI 3. Or better(!) pressing a directional button + start to define AI manually. Getting the idea?
Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 05:30:27 pm by Elix
#14  July 17, 2007, 10:29:48 pm
    • mugen-easy.hp.infoseek.co.jp
 :yesgoi:
Removed due size restrictions.
Please read the rules.
#15  July 18, 2007, 01:41:58 am
#16  July 18, 2007, 04:38:01 am
  • Am I evil?
This sounds very interesting. So many features and ideas planned. It also seems that it will be very KOF-accurate. Props on that.

I got a question. What influence will Ken's teachings have on Kyo? Will he burrow something from Ken's arsenal, have a semi-new or new move inspired on Ken? An image of Kyo doing a Shoryuu Reppa as a HSDM came to my mind  :sugoi:.

Anyways, good luck on this project.

Needs a GOATEE :mugoi:
cough*

Sig made by TempesT :)
#17  July 18, 2007, 10:59:52 am
Thanks :) The influence of Ken will be, well, some kicking techniques (you can call them semi-new as long as my sprite edits are not so profound) as well as Shoryu Reppa and Shinryuken :) They are just DMs by the way.

@ahuron
ã
#18  July 18, 2007, 11:10:19 am
Wow, I'm looking forward to Shoryureppa. How is Kyo going to pull that off without looking like an ass =p

@ahuron:
<Translate this to japanese. Thanks.>
Hey, you are teh win, please update your chars when you have time. Thx. Cya.

That's simple right?

^^

#19  July 18, 2007, 11:46:45 am
looks good so far, good luck with your kyo, I am looking forward to it ;)
#20  July 18, 2007, 01:49:56 pm
@Kei Dasshuu
OK :)

@ahuron
Kei Dasshuu ã