YesNoOk

Need help (im a noobie) (Read 6809 times)

Started by Frenchman316, August 28, 2007, 01:11:20 pm
Share this topic:
Need help (im a noobie)
#1  August 28, 2007, 01:11:20 pm
    • www.freewebs.com/toonmugen/
Hey please don't call me a noob if this is a stupid question everyone has to start somewhere
i plan on creating my own character for mugen because i download other characters and i want to give something back

how do i get the sprites from a spritesheet that i have downloaded?
do i have to cut them in a paint program?

Demitri 45%
Re: Need help (im a noobie)
#2  August 28, 2007, 01:27:50 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Yes, if you have a spritesheet with many sprites, you'll have to cut it into many pieces (one sprite per image) and apply the same palette to each sprite.
Then, you have to put each one in the SFF (graphic file for characters) one after the other, aligning them correctly).
#3  August 28, 2007, 02:00:44 pm
Thankyou very much for your help :)
if i just cut a sqaure around them not the figure them selves than turn the out side into an invisible colour would that work to?

Demitri 45%
#4  August 28, 2007, 03:21:11 pm
    • France
Well, technically, you cannot do anything else but cutting the sprites into squres or rectangles.

Afterwards, all around your various sprites, you'll have another color (often, it's pink or green). When you create a palette for your sprites, you'll have to define this particular color as the transparent one.

For example, if you're using photoshop or the gimp, this color would be the last one in the palette. In paintshop pro, however, it is the first one.
#5  August 28, 2007, 03:32:31 pm
This is probably another stupid question but when there cut out how do i make an animation of then (do i need to do this for the game?) and do i need another program besides paint shop or gimp to make the animations?

im good at coding not graphics  :(

Thanks for the help

Demitri 45%
#6  August 28, 2007, 03:39:49 pm
    • France
If you just want to make an animation to show to people, then photoshop and other programs can handle this by creating a gif.

But for mugen, this is totally unnecessary. All you have to do is insert the sprites in the SFF. Then, you'll handle the animations in game with what called a AIR file, which is a code you write in notepad.
#7  August 29, 2007, 01:37:56 am
  • He got his ass pwned
If you just want to make an animation to show to people, then photoshop and other programs can handle this by creating a gif.

But for mugen, this is totally unnecessary. All you have to do is insert the sprites in the SFF. Then, you'll handle the animations in game with what called a AIR file, which is a code you write in notepad.
how would u make the animations in photoshop.
#8  August 29, 2007, 07:47:57 am
For the sprites do the sizes of the background have to be the same?
or wouldnt that matter because the background colours will be made invisible?

Demitri 45%
#9  August 29, 2007, 08:42:48 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
time for you to read some tutorials i think.

There's one in your mugen\docs folder.

There are also some on youtube.

And some at my site (click my sig, narutorials)

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#10  August 29, 2007, 02:18:32 pm
This may seem weird and i dunno how others feel but things are much easier to understand when there said by you guys rather than reading tutorials
(ive read heaps)

Demitri 45%