YesNoOk

SFF load times (Read 2765 times)

Started by PotS, February 03, 2008, 06:51:29 am
Share this topic:
SFF load times
#1  February 03, 2008, 06:51:29 am
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Been meaning to get this out there, but is it just me or do chars take a bit longer to load when their large portraits aren't at the beginning of the SFF (like KFM) but rather closer to the end, next to sprites with individual palette?

Edit: I mean load while starting Mugen btw, not pre-fight.

Edit2: Nevermind, I just compared loading KFM with his own SFF to KFM with Dragon Claw's SFF, and the time taken seemed exactly the same.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 07:14:26 am by CvS Cyanaster
Re: SFF load times
#2  February 03, 2008, 07:01:28 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I'm not noticing any difference. All loads the same speed as everything else for me.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  February 03, 2008, 07:03:09 am
    • Portugal
Check the edit, sorry.
And I suppose it'd only be noticeable on old toaster-oven PC's like mine (450MHz).
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#4  February 03, 2008, 07:47:26 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Thats pretty toaster oven indeed. Surprised it runs DC at all  ;P

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  February 03, 2008, 10:14:20 pm
  • "The Future is Now"
jesus man... you run a old toaster? wow... i used to run the old Evil Ken by Reu on my windows 95.

Bea

#6  February 04, 2008, 12:34:36 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
Yes, they do.
Mugen has to load the SFF file and look for the 9000,0 and 9000,1 sprites. And it uses a linear search to locate it in the file, as it's not indexed.
So, the further below in the file it is, the longer mugen takes to retrieve it.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#7  February 04, 2008, 06:19:37 am
    • Portugal
But from the test made in my second edit, it looks like you'd only notice a difference if you first tried loading 100 chars with 9000,1 at the beginning, then another 100 with it at the end.
I was just wondering if I should recompile my SFF's to have 9000,1 in the same order as KFM, but after that I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.