YesNoOk

Lavia (Red Earth) [3-March-2008] (Read 25194 times)

Started by TrasgoSe7en, February 26, 2008, 06:45:13 pm
Share this topic:
Lavia (Red Earth) [3-March-2008]
#1  February 26, 2008, 06:45:13 pm
Lavia (Luan) from Red Earth (Warzard)

Thanks, Laspacho for the screenies!

UPDATE (3-MARCH-2008)
Code:
Fixed the cloning bug with the air push
Added missing sprite in the flip animations
Fixed falling animation that occurs after an uppercut
Added missing sprite into the Swoop&Slam (with a fake hitpause)

UPDATE (2-MARCH-2008)
Code:
The air push was recoded as a helper to avoid having P2 in a hitstate
Coded in the backdash and dizzy animations
Added PalFX to hitdefs for Phoenix hypers
Trimmed all sprites
Ripped the official backdash animation
Ripped the dizzy animation
Feather Attack is now at different angles...
Adjusted damage in MP and HP versions of Swoop&Slam
Adjusted attack radius and added more clsn2s over the clsn1s
Reduced the damage done by the Phoenix Hypers
Did some minor cleaning of the intro
Adjusted the CLSNs so Lavia can be hit by low attacks
Adjusted the timing on the swooop&slam so that it doesn't take as long
Added an envshake to the end of the swoop&slam
walk forward animation in the air is no longer the same as on the ground
Lavia falls back to the ground after doing a spinning uppercut
Added move: Kick Down -- it's the first part of the swoop, just no slam

Get her here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zafkoo
http://www.mediafire.com/?v0mnxxbtkwi
http://rapidshare.com/files/96809542/Lavia-3MAR2008.rar.html

Check out the readme and the movelist...

Enjoy!
Good early morning coffee, gives me that "glad to be alive" feeling...
Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 09:08:23 pm by TrasgoSe7en
Re: Lavia (Red Earth / Warzard)
#2  February 26, 2008, 07:02:20 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
Attack hit radius is far too large. She's attacking with her body too: the attacks should have some clsn2 over the clsn1. In fact ALL her attacks could use that, even the projectiles.

Her super does WAYYYYY too much damage. It takes off over half the opponent's life. The background addition looks a bit silly too I have to say.

Should be easy enough to edit up the crouching states so that walking can happen uninterrupted.

Some of her attacks will miss entirely against cornered opponents.

Intro isn't very smooth.

While she flies, in the original game she actually hovers and can jump. Looks silly to just fly around DBZ style even for a bird.

Backdash...I'm pretty sure she had unique sprites for it.

Because of CLSN placement, she can't be hit by many crouching attacks even when on the ground.
#3  February 26, 2008, 07:48:34 pm
  • AM GONNA DO THINGS TO HER LIKE...TOUCH HER PENIS?
    • MYSPACE.COM/SPIRIT_KNIGHTS
wow, thanks for the character. she is very beautiful, but like the buddy above me said, she is ineed of a pretty bad update. but i do thank you for your coding and time to make this char...amazing :sugoi:
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE

YOU HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF HOW FAR ARE YOU

WILLING TO GO, THINK ABOUT IT......

I don\'t know what\'s worth fighting for
Or why I have to scream
I don\'t know why I instigate
And say what I don\'t mean
I don\'t know how I got this way
I know it\'s not alright
So I\'m breaking the habit
I\'m breaking the habit
Tonight
#4  February 26, 2008, 07:49:39 pm
Kung_Fu_Man said:
Attack hit radius is far too large. She's attacking with her body too: the attacks should have some clsn2 over the clsn1. In fact ALL her attacks could use that, even the projectiles.

I'll address this and make it easier to attack Lavia while she's attacking you

Her super does WAYYYYY too much damage. It takes off over half the opponent's life. The background addition looks a bit silly too I have to say.

Her Phoenix move does take off alot of damage, but that's only if you get hit by the entire attack.  If you get hit by just the firebird (as opposed to the fireball), you won't lose so much of your life, but it is something that I will address.  I may adjust how much power she needs to pull off the move considering she only had one level of it in the original game.

Should be easy enough to edit up the crouching states so that walking can happen uninterrupted.

She has no crouch animation in the original game.  I coded her such that if you hold down when walking, you'll stop her forward (or backward) motion.  Walking should be uninterrupted as long as you stay away from holding the down button.

Some of her attacks will miss entirely against cornered opponents.

I'll take a look at this; without a screenshot of what you mean, I'll see if it's because her attack boxes are too far in front, or do not go low enough.

Intro isn't very smooth.

I know...  I tried to cheat by modifying the same feather animation.  I'll make a more canon intro for her in the future.

While she flies, in the original game she actually hovers and can jump. Looks silly to just fly around DBZ style even for a bird.

She can jump in this version as well, but you have to be on the ground (to activate state 0 to get statetype S).  I've not seen her jump while in mid-air in the original game, so I did not allow her to do so here either.

Backdash...I'm pretty sure she had unique sprites for it.

And you see them here, I just increased the speed of the animation for the back dash to distinguish it from just walking backward.

Because of CLSN placement, she can't be hit by many crouching attacks even when on the ground.

I'll address this.  Even Leo's tripping move hits her in the original game, so the CLSNs will be modified.

THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT FEEDBACK, KFM!
#5  February 26, 2008, 08:19:51 pm
  • Garbage Day!
As soon as you update, you will have my download.

GamerTag: Meatball01
#6  February 26, 2008, 09:17:40 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
She has no crouch animation in the original game.  I coded her such that if you hold down when walking, you'll stop her forward (or backward) motion.  Walking should be uninterrupted as long as you stay away from holding the down button.

I'm well aware of her lacking a crouch anim, all Warzard bosses do. What I meant was that you could code the state so that pressing down doesn't interrupt walking if the character is holding forward or back.
#7  February 26, 2008, 09:20:07 pm
  • pretty fire
wow talk about over powered
M.U.G.E.N FTW!!!!!!!!!!!
#8  February 27, 2008, 01:45:00 am

I'm well aware of her lacking a crouch anim, all Warzard bosses do. What I meant was that you could code the state so that pressing down doesn't interrupt walking if the character is holding forward or back.

Oh, I see what you're saying now.  If someone is flying forward/backward AND down at the same time, you don't want the animation to hiccup when she gets to ground level.  I'll take a closer look at the coding.
#9  February 27, 2008, 02:32:25 am
  • Candy Princess
    • www.youtube.com/user/LaMissFa1ry
I'd almost say make her have limited flight or something. (Not free style like she has now)

It sucks but characters like that are so difficult to make any kind of AI for. I was going to patch her but I'm almost afraid to try :-\

Otherwise she seems pretty nice, though. Although I couldn't seem to trigger her QCB 2x super, I'll need to take a closer look at what's going on and get back to you.

Edit:

One thing is her slam throw has you off screen way too long. I would simply make it so she goes up and slams you down right away, not have a long delay of you and her off screen. (it really dampers the tension of the fight, IMO)
#10  February 27, 2008, 06:11:51 am
Must've been a nightmare ripping her sprites without clipping.  o_O

If it's any help, feel free to lift the remaining hitsparks and elemental effects from Blade and Valdoll.

She does have a dizzy anim, btw... saw it in a preview vid. Seems really difficult to dizzy bosses under emulation, though (haven't been able to do so at all before they die). Don't know if dizzy is affected by dipswitches, but the violence and voice type switches don't seem to change this (so far).
Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:15:45 am by Doggiedoo
#11  February 27, 2008, 07:46:41 am
next time Trasgo7 rip sprites WITH clipping!
#12  February 27, 2008, 08:10:57 am
  • Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken
    • youtube.com/c/ViolinKen
Feedback
-Her throw needs some sort of envshake to give more of an impact
-For her throw, the anim where she slams the opponent to the ground is incorrect, and should also have more of a hitpause upon landing.  The correct anim looks similar to sprite 810, 4, except her legs are more extended.
-I haven't been able to perform her jump when debug indicates that she is in state 0
-She should only walk forward when close to the ground.  Walking forward while in the air should use the forward dash animation.
-She really needs to come back down to ground level after her spinning uppercut

Recommendations
-I noticed in Warzard, she has the ability to shoot her feathers at different angles (downward or straight ahead)  Perhaps instead of making LP, and MP simply 2 and 4 feathers respectively, have her shoot 6 feathers at different angles.
-Perhaps for her super move, you should consider making the direction she flies based on commands inputted, similar to Psylocke's Psy-thrust super move.  Perhaps inputting up while she rolls into a fireball would indicate that she will fly upwards.
-Perhaps different strengths/distances for her air throw would be a good idea? (LP = short range, MP = middle, etc)
-I also noticed she has a move that looks similar to the air throw, except it knocks the opponent down.  Maybe implementing a command switch (like Jedah's air throw that could change into an attack)

Support me @ ko-fi.com/violinken

#13  February 28, 2008, 03:30:23 am
  • My surname is not Foster, FYI.
Oh yeah, I love shit like this!

Dling, feedback to come.
Good news for all of you.

I'm banned forever.

Please, just let the ban quietly pass and whatever you do, I beg you, DO NOT CHEER. Do not celebrate that you've won about the fact that I'm banned forever. Let it slide, PLEASE DO NOT CHEER. Don't cause me to shitpost again. I didn't even recall making a shitty post before I got perma'd. I hated this forum anyway. It doesn't even feel I'm taking part in a MUGEN forum.

Well, ungoodbye to you all and I hope you all burn in hell.

- Peter
#14  February 28, 2008, 04:49:00 pm
One thing is her slam throw has you off screen way too long. I would simply make it so she goes up and slams you down right away, not have a long delay of you and her off screen. (it really dampers the tension of the fight, IMO)

I'll change this.  I originally had the timing this way to account for extremely tall stages, but it does take too long.

Feedback
-Her throw needs some sort of envshake to give more of an impact
-For her throw, the anim where she slams the opponent to the ground is incorrect, and should also have more of a hitpause upon landing.  The correct anim looks similar to sprite 810, 4, except her legs are more extended.
-I haven't been able to perform her jump when debug indicates that she is in state 0
-She should only walk forward when close to the ground.  Walking forward while in the air should use the forward dash animation.
-She really needs to come back down to ground level after her spinning uppercut

Recommendations
-I noticed in Warzard, she has the ability to shoot her feathers at different angles (downward or straight ahead)  Perhaps instead of making LP, and MP simply 2 and 4 feathers respectively, have her shoot 6 feathers at different angles.
-Perhaps for her super move, you should consider making the direction she flies based on commands inputted, similar to Psylocke's Psy-thrust super move.  Perhaps inputting up while she rolls into a fireball would indicate that she will fly upwards.
-Perhaps different strengths/distances for her air throw would be a good idea? (LP = short range, MP = middle, etc)
-I also noticed she has a move that looks similar to the air throw, except it knocks the opponent down.  Maybe implementing a command switch (like Jedah's air throw that could change into an attack

I've been working on addressing all of your feedback and the next update will DEFINITELY include:
*EnvShake at the end of the Swoop&Slam
*The walking animation will be corrected for being in the air
*She will fall back to ground level after a spinning uppercut
*The knockdown move (the swoop without the slam) will be added.  It'll take the place of the LP version of the Swoop&Slam.

I checked the original game, and Lavia does not throw her feathers at different angles.  Her feathers always are thrown to the bottom right (from P1's perspective); it's just more noticeable when she does the move in the air.  I'm still working on the other suggestions as well as the ones from KFM.  This is why I post releases at the Guild, I get a lot of feedback.  :sugoi:
#15  February 29, 2008, 04:52:13 am
3 different angles  ;)

And just for kicks...  Dizzy state.

Further feedback:
-Her wind push move should not effect the opponent like a hit state.  P2 should continue doing what they're doing only while being pushed back.  Similar to a guardpush.
-I also noticed her AI in Warzard did dodging backflips to avoid "Shoryuken" style moves. 

Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:03:16 am by Violin Ken
#16  February 29, 2008, 06:24:20 pm
  • Candy Princess
The feathers don't look like they're being shot at different angles. It looks like her velocity is different..

Maybe it's just me? ???
#17  February 29, 2008, 06:34:15 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
it has the saem effect, because a different velociti gives you a different angle.

also
-Her wind push move should not effect the opponent like a hit state.  P2 should continue doing what they're doing only while being pushed back.  Similar to a guardpush.
you can use an unhittable helper for that.
#18  February 29, 2008, 06:42:48 pm
The feathers don't look like they're being shot at different angles. It looks like her velocity is different..

Maybe it's just me? ???
The sprites for the feathers are angled differently

Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:46:22 pm by Violin Ken
#19  February 29, 2008, 08:54:27 pm
  • Candy Princess

Maybe it's just me? ???
The sprites for the feathers are angled differently
I think that's because of where lunann is on the screen. If her feathers were pointing downward when she was at the ground it would probably look stupid, so they made them tilted slightly.

The angling on the attack seems exactly the same, though. Just her being in the air creates the illusion it's different somehow.
#20  February 29, 2008, 09:27:12 pm
Has the concept of AI ever crossed your mind?   --;

If Mai Ling is far, her AI is programmed to throw the feathers far.  If Mai Ling is close, she'll throw them closer. 

Also, look at the first two screenshots.  She's on the ground for both of them and the angles of the feathers are slightly different.

The freakin screenshots prove there are different angles she can throw the feathers.  Hell, Iceman's groudn weak punch icebeam shoots straight into the ground.  Capcom didn't thank that would be stupid.  --;

Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 09:32:18 pm by Violin Ken