YesNoOk

Silent Storm (Permission Was Granted) (Read 143005 times)

Started by DMX, June 17, 2008, 08:22:39 pm
By Silent Storm Edited by Fr33dom87 (Permission Was Granted)
#61  June 19, 2008, 12:02:56 am
  • DAT SAX
I thought I had a pretty good argument. :(

~*The Last Quincy*~         ~Sig by [TempesT]
My MUGEN shit:
MvC2 Tron Bonne, MvC Kim Kaphwan, Barns (Destruction Desire),
and Burai Yamamoto (Arranged)
#62  June 19, 2008, 12:09:15 am
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
That wouldn't apply here [E]. The open source factor was stated well after Eli's work was done, and if he had been open source then he would've just released it as is a long while back, not wait for Storm's OK. So it's a moot tangent.
#63  June 19, 2008, 12:22:57 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
since there was not a contract signed from silent storm to eli, eli has to gt by by whatever permissions siletn storm gives.
#64  June 19, 2008, 12:28:08 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
yes but what if you coded from the ground up, no opensource used
That would imply not using mugen.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#65  June 19, 2008, 12:33:26 am
  • DAT SAX
:XD:

~*The Last Quincy*~         ~Sig by [TempesT]
My MUGEN shit:
MvC2 Tron Bonne, MvC Kim Kaphwan, Barns (Destruction Desire),
and Burai Yamamoto (Arranged)
Re: By Silent Storm Edited by Fr33dom87 (Permission Was Granted)
#66  June 19, 2008, 12:51:06 am
Notice freedoms outlining if you have a problem i'm online take it there. Bitching here just shows you wanna be seen and annoying to the post. Leave the post alone if you arent beta testing or helping it.

Brings back memories of people not growing up and moving on in topics. It's been like 8 years and we still got bitchers and complainers over shit they dont even have any legal basis to own. Give it a rest and go make a character. Your complaints mean absolutely zero here other then to make the page longer. Like I said that culture of wah wah my code my sprite is OVER! Better get used to it or just leave if you can't.
Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 12:56:51 am by SilentStorm
Re: By Silent Storm Edited by Fr33dom87 (Permission Was Granted)
#67  June 19, 2008, 02:40:27 am
  • Aka ShadesTeam/Zeckle
yes but what if you coded from the ground up, no opensource used
That would imply not using mugen.
how so? coding in mugen doesnt automatically make your stuff opensource
and SS if your talking to me saying that the coder doesnt mean shit, then try doing something without a coder see how that works out
Shades 2 site:Shades of Manhattan
Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:44:41 am by Laxxe23
Re: Silent Storm (Permission Was Granted)
#68  June 19, 2008, 02:57:07 am
Notice freedoms outlining if you have a problem i'm online take it there.

Arguing with you publicly is annoying enough to be honest.

Your complaints mean absolutely zero here other then to make the page longer. Like I said that culture of wah wah my code my sprite is OVER! Better get used to it or just leave if you can't.

Here's one complication for you Stormy: that entails you be respectful about it even in the basest of forms still. And you're behaving like a perfect arrogant ass. "My world, my rules, blah blah blah." And I thought I sounded like a prick sometimes.

Also to point out the original author was NOT properly credited, which Guild requires. The readme and DEF files state the character is not XCB's. Seems to me to credit someone that's a pretty big thing to fib about.

And the original point of "you gave permission for what wasn't yours."
Post count +1
#69  June 19, 2008, 03:06:12 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Brings back memories of people not growing up and moving on in topics. It's been like 8 years and we still got bitchers and complainers over shit they dont even have any legal basis to own. Give it a rest and go make a character. Your complaints mean absolutely zero here other then to make the page longer. Like I said that culture of wah wah my code my sprite my concept is OVER! Better get used to it or just leave if you can't.
Oh, the irony.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#70  June 19, 2008, 04:13:56 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
coding in mugen doesnt automatically make your stuff opensource
Mugen's character code at the base level is open source. All those triggers and sctrls are all there. It's not a compiled program with complex functions and named variables doing specific stuff to form a concentrated whole.

It's just a few files put together to form something. The files are accessable through wordpad, or can be extracted with freely downloadable tools. It's not designed to be closed off in any way. Trying to enforce any sort of copyright or whatever on this is an exercise in futility.

All that keeps people from rampant sprite swaps is some are polite, and that most of the time sprite swapping doesn't get you much fame once it's pointed out.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#71  June 19, 2008, 04:18:21 am
You can't have open source in a true sense given you also have permission to sell what you make though Cy :P
#72  June 19, 2008, 05:01:32 am
Also to point out the original author was NOT properly credited, which Guild requires.
jyd said he based his edit on eli's character in his release post.

why is this even an issue, just let it go. what do you even gain from all this shit
#73  June 19, 2008, 05:17:40 am
Also to point out the original author was NOT properly credited, which Guild requires.

Unfortunatly that is a lie, since it IS Eli's character, that has been slightly modified.  And Eli isn't listed as the creator.  I think that's KFM's main point.  It's just a convoluted version of someone making minor changes in a character and replacing the authors name with theirs.  The only reason this is different is that someone thinks they have the rights to do anything they want with anything that bears resemblence to the "Silent Storm name and likeness."

Sepp from Mugen policies thread said:
Should you lift considerable parts from another piece of MUGEN content to use that in your "own" work without mentioning this fact to anyone and this circumstance is later discovered (very often, it is!), it would end up making you look pretty silly in many people's eyes.

But we would not ban you for it--if you admit your actions and don't act stupid about it. Needless to say, it would be better if you made it public knowledge just what you have taken from which source from the beginning (in a readme file, for example).

Example cases follow:

1) Let's say you "release" Eli's Venom with two different palettes, regardless of whether or not you say it's your own or Eli's, whether you're upfront about it or try to talk yourself out of it: you will at least be laughed at, "Haha this is just Eli's Venom with two new palettes, why didn't you just release the palettes separately? Did you think nobody would notice? :p" And if you'd really try to talk yourself out of something as obvious as this, you might get banned pretty fast. Liars get no love.

Ironic the example is from a character made by Eli :P

Now I don't think anyone needs to be banned, but it would be nice to see Eli properly credited as actually making that character.  Since it's probably over 90% Eli's work.
#74  June 19, 2008, 05:19:32 am
#75  June 19, 2008, 05:20:42 am
Unfortunatly that is a lie, since it IS Eli's character, that has been slightly modified.
uh

Being based on and Slightly modifieing a character are quite different things.

Edit: I'm willing to concede that it could possibly be a textual misunderstanding.  But with the way it was worded, made it seem like he was saying it was His work, and not Eli's.
Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:23:56 am by Shion
#76  June 19, 2008, 05:22:59 am
it's an edit, it was posted on edits and addons where most characters are only slight modifications. you're being ridiculous
#77  June 19, 2008, 05:23:38 am
and the character is down anyway WHOAAAAAA
#78  June 19, 2008, 05:29:20 am
I edited my last post.

Also, When I first read the permission, I read it as it was Silent Storm BY Silent Storm, Edited by Fr33doM to resemble XCB's version.

Which was logical since it was Silent Storm giving permission, not Eli.
#79  June 19, 2008, 05:31:44 am
  • My college nickname was bi pod
Why isn't anyone giving feedback about this char anyway?  I could swear half of the people posting in here hasn't even downloaded the char... ???
Welcome to Alu's world !! :D

Re: Silent Strom EX By Silent Storm Edited by Fr33dom87 (Permission Was Granted)
#80  June 19, 2008, 05:37:42 am
It ISN'T yours though.  It's Elis, based on your character's concept. 

If you did the coding and the spriting, everyone would be fine and dandy over this.  And we still haven't seen the copyright, so until we see that, I can't believe that it's copywritten.
"With ignorance and arrogance, success is assured."
~Mark Twain
Sig by TempesT