Started by Sepp, May 10, 2008, 10:56:13 pm
Offline/absence notice
#21  July 16, 2008, 06:23:04 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
victoly
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
Offline/absence notice
#22  July 16, 2008, 06:38:11 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
werucome back, your presence is missed.
Offline/absence notice
#23  July 17, 2008, 11:13:05 pm
  • SNK is life
(There's no question of whether or not to do it. I only need help deciding which weapons to bring. If you never hear from me again after Saturday, make up an interesting story about what might have happened; I problably got lost in the city and ran over by a car.)
We definitely should play this along.

Sepp, don't post after Saturday :P
Offline/absence notice
#24  August 06, 2008, 07:44:58 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Sepp, don't post after Saturday :P

Something else came up that day and the appointment is indefinitely adjourned.

I got her number, though. No worries. Young single (?) mom with two/three children. What's the worst that could happen?

*ahem* ... Knights of the Empire, listen up:

Whatever we do about it formally and regarding positions, in actuality my presence here will remain greatly reduced, even nearing zero like it has lately... for as long as... don't know, this could well be the weather forecast in the beginning of Groundhog Day: "It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and *dramatic pause* it's gonna last you for the rest of your life."

We have scenario #1 featuring profound external changes.

[url=http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=63146.msg711328#msg711328]Sepp, May 13th[/url] said:
<[Sepp]>    I don't know what happened but I wanted to say, I can only see three general ways out of it at the moment.
<[Sepp]>    1) something profound changes (in or outside of mugen, or myself) and i quit just like that

Got next week off from work.

What, if anything, this might mean for the rest of Guild and where to go from here I can't yet say; been out of touch with Titiln and Val as well. We'll probably also IRC about it sooner or later.

[19:54] <[Sepp]> what can i clarify?
[19:56] <KOD> ...Well, i didn't understand what you meant since you mixed everything together
[19:56] <KOD> a short summary would help :P
[20:03] <[Sepp]> short is: it looks like i'm gone
[20:03] <KOD> from the mugen community..or?
[20:06] <[Sepp]> yes
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:08:52 pm by Sepp
Offline/absence notice
#25  August 06, 2008, 09:13:56 pm
  • I got a PM.
Sepp you are leaving?

Well I guess all there is to say it Good bye and Good Luck.

I'm a little confused about the reason.
Offline/absence notice
#26  August 06, 2008, 09:32:21 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Its just life. life goes on and we get less and less time to worry about the net, I suggest leaving your position here in the way of a phantom position, that way you can always drop by for conversations every now and then and those of us that dont have your contacts on other places can keep some sort of track on you, to "officially" quit by now is merely a formality and there is no great need for it, It wouldnt change a thing.
Just keep following your life on your extended hiatus with no need to come back, but i hope you dont "quit" totally from it, your presence is both welcomed and missed.
Offline/absence notice
#27  August 07, 2008, 03:50:42 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
Offline/absence notice
#28  August 07, 2008, 04:06:34 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Didn't you do this once already then come back?

This time is permanent then?

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.

DMK

Offline/absence notice
#29  August 07, 2008, 05:04:04 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
It's a good thing to become a family guy. Go out more then usualy when you find that one person who can give you more happiness then anything else in this world.

At least that is what I am understanding. If you do decide to leave the community, maybe you'll think of droping in every now and then to give us an update about whats going on?

Basicly whats left to say is what everyone else is thinking.

Good luck, always have fun, and enjoy life.  :)
Offline/absence notice
#30  August 10, 2008, 06:46:10 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
I'm a little confused about the reason.

Health.

I'm sort of a mutant and usually in pain, distracted, grumpy, [...], which---if the last three months are any indication---means I am finished with the world after work, then try desperately to recharge enough in order to go on and act it out all over again the next day.

Won't be able to keep that up, much less that & rest of life & being reliably present in this forum here.

But there are a bunch of similar mutants, and their lack of organization is remarkable. So the current plan depends on the formation of a brotherhood of mutants/X-Men to maybe take over the world or at least help us survive.

Therefore what energy I can spare from the rest of life will probably go towards that end, and when I visit Guild it probably won't be to invest energy but the opposite: to chill, relax and maybe take some energy away from it for myself. :p

This time is permanent then?

Honestly, no idea.
--R. Scott Bakker
Principle 5
#31  January 09, 2009, 08:53:23 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Haha this thread is embarrassing.

Here's something useful for a change. It's principle 5 of part four (Be a Leader: How to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment) of How to Win Friends & Influence People (1936):

Let the Other Person Save Face

That's all.

And if, acting in your function as a moderator, you decide to go up against a user, go all the way or don't, but make it clear when you're done. Do not, after two or three pages of heated arguing against BadguyX, walk away with a short comment and close the topic without a real conclusion for both parties. BadguyX will only sit before the closed topic with a red face and nurse a grudge for later revenge.
--R. Scott Bakker
Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:40:07 pm by Sepp
Re: Sepp's Thread
#32  January 09, 2009, 09:38:32 pm
  • SNK is life
(I knew I was doing it right IRL)
A dry subject
#33  October 03, 2009, 02:07:19 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Can we please not make The Rules of MUGEN 354 pages long? Thank you.

Don't even try to cover every possible case.

People always devise their own justifications. Fixed and immovable Law merely provides a convenient structure within which to hang your justifications and the prejudices behind them. The only universally acceptable law for mortals would be one which fitted every justification. What obvious nonsense. Law must expose prejudice and question justification. Thus, Law must be flexible, must change to fit new demands. Otherwise, it becomes merely the justification of the powerful.
-- Frank Herbert, The Dosadi Experiment

Spoiler: more laws, rules and justice quotes (click to see content)

It seemed as though every rule he honestly tried to discover with them and learn with them was so full of exceptions and contradictions and qualifications and confusions that he wished he'd never come across the rule in the first place.

A student would always ask how the rule would apply in a certain special circumstance. Phaedrus would then have the choice of trying to fake through a made-up explanation of how it worked, or follow the selfless route and say what he really thought. And what he really thought was that the rule was pasted on to the writing after the writing was all done. It was post hoc, after the fact, instead of prior to the fact. And he became convinced that all the writers the students were supposed to mimic wrote without rules, putting down whatever sounded right, then going back to see if it still sounded right and changing it if it didn't.
-- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
--R. Scott Bakker
The supreme virtue
#34  October 03, 2009, 02:20:53 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
Giving birth and nourishing,
having without possessing,
acting with no expectations,
leading and not trying to control:
this is the supreme virtue.

-- Lao Tzu, The Book of the Way

Possessing, acting with expectations, trying to control: the path to the dark side---y'know, the crux of Anakin Skywalker . . .

Spoiler: having without possessing (click to see content)

Spoiler: acting with no expectations (click to see content)

Spoiler: leading and not trying to control (click to see content)
--R. Scott Bakker
Reality
#35  October 03, 2009, 02:51:28 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
"Always remember: Your focus determines your reality."

-- George Lucas, The Phantom Menace

When we look at anything around us, our senses and brains break down what is out there into parts and pieces for us. The majority of the data gets immediately discared as irrelevant. We usually only get a tiny fraction of what is available---our own personal reality. Only things you and your body are interested in get through.

Get a new car or a new hair color and unless you always pay attention to those things anyway, you will suddenly notice a lot more of those particular car models or hair colors all around you. Not that they weren't there before, they just weren't relevant enough to you to make it through your filters.

Take enough people to a restaurant and there might be one who notices the hair in the soup, some who comment on the delicate window dressings, and while you are about to point out the rather embarrasssing typos in the menu your neighbor shoots jealous glances at somebody's expensive wrist watch.

We all live in different realities. Two people can observe the exact same object, event, person, situation---what they take away from the experience will not be exactly the same. Sometimes not by a long shot.

Because we usually want to make sense of the things around us, we tend to develop obsessions. Then everything that has ever happened obviously has to do with the number 23, the Illuminati, the clash of communists and capitalists, a war of faiths, blacks versus whites---and if you are so inclined, you can make it so your entire life happened the way it did because you failed to score that soccer goal in second grade. At least in your mind.

We trace connections between events and invest those connections with meaning. Your focus determines your reality. Your life is what your thoughts make it.

Common knowledge. It is important for forum moderation because apart from setting an example, you must deal with a lot of different realities people have. When they clash it's often because of a failure to communicate. If you can adopt different views, see the focus of the involved parties, you can translate between them. Apart from setting an example, that's most of what you're here for.

The better you can switch focuses, the better you can moderate. The better you can see the other side, another user's reality, the better you can talk to him. To be a good moderator you have to be able to talk to most users.

First know your own obsessions (cf. post about road to mastery I have yet to make), then you can learn to step back from them and keep your mind receptive for different realities.

Spoiler: reality quotes (click to see content)

"The only true voyage of discovery, the only fountain of Eternal Youth, would be not to visit strange lands but to possess other eyes, to behold the universe through the eyes of another, of a hundred others, to behold the hundred universes that each of them beholds, that each of them is."
-- Marcel Proust, The Captive
--R. Scott Bakker
Humility, self-knowledge, the route to mastery
New #36  October 07, 2009, 09:13:06 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there.
-- Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

[There are no comments in this post. Hmmm.]

Spoiler: the route to mastery quotes (click to see content)

To move in harmony with the world, with other people, with the things of the world, with ourselves; this is the ultimate expression of dance. All living things wish to move well; it is built into them to wish it, for living things that move well are better fit to survive than those that do not.
-- Daniel Keys Moran, The Last Dancer
--R. Scott Bakker
Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:32:28 pm by Sepp