YesNoOk

Gleam of force by french bread. (Read 11782 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, September 01, 2008, 07:30:05 pm
Share this topic:
Gleam of force by french bread.
#1  September 01, 2008, 07:30:05 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Re: Gleam of force by french bread.
#2  September 02, 2008, 01:12:59 am
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
Wow it's hard to look at that and take it seriously o_O
#3  September 02, 2008, 01:36:27 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
It's way too technical and not that good.
Also, it loses the charm of it's predecessor, the cast is full of original characters (And Makoto is the only fun character) instead of characters from other series.

I'll stick to Glove on Fight.
#4  September 02, 2008, 01:42:58 am
  • DCB | Vato
    • Bolivia
    • www.justnopoint.com/dshiznetz
the animations looks wierd.. like the body revolves around the head..
#5  September 02, 2008, 01:48:59 am
    • Thailand
Music is too Unmanly.
#6  September 02, 2008, 02:41:57 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Same for Magical Battle Arena and other Doujin games that only feature girls.
Surprisingly enough, Fuuka Taisen Sigma's music sounds like something out of Megaman X-Zero (Heck, Megaman Zero's illustrator worked on the game)
#7  September 02, 2008, 05:50:06 am
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
The characters in this game cannot jump, and yet they have aerial moves...
* Zangief thinks.

#8  September 02, 2008, 05:58:42 am
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/
Sequel to Glove on fight?..
WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#9  September 02, 2008, 09:27:19 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
#10  September 02, 2008, 10:07:28 pm
  • The Man With The Master Plan
The characters look strange.
#11  September 22, 2008, 01:37:05 am
  • It's not furry you goons, it's anthro! ANTHRO!
Why is everyone complaining? This game is fantastic. It's deep, it's technical, it's exciting to watch and it's competitive. It's a lot of fun to play once you understand the mechanics and the characters. And the animation style is typical Harukaze Namekai magic, which is not something anyone should complain about.

It's a step above Glove on Fight in every way. And what is this about Makoto being the only fun character? Sure, she's my favourite at the moment, but Pepeko, Ashita, Ammy and Madoi are all great fun to play as. The only character whom I don't like playing as is Yuki because she's so slow and hard to understand.

Also, original characters are much better than ones who already exist! All the characters who appeared in GOF had to have been original characters at one point too. All created characters start out as being original. It's up to them to become famous on their own. I'm very glad that French Bread are not "borrowing" characters, but actually making an effort to create their own. This is a first time they've created original characters!

The gameplay is not so difficult once you understand it better. Strong attacks beat jabs, but jabs lower endurance and allow for combos.

High endurance means that your strong attacks are more likely to beat out your opponent's strong attacks and jabs.

the defense button is used for parrying, blocking and dodging. Pressing defense just before an attack connects will dodge it. Holding it for any longer will cause you to block. Parrying is done by holding a direction and pressing defense, but they must be timed, and a low parry can be beat by a high attack and vice versa.

If you dash at an opponent while they're parrying, standing still or evading, you enter "in fight" mode. This turns your character into a combo machine for a short period of time, so it's a great way to punish overly evasive players.

If your strong move interrupts an opponent's attack, It's called a counter hit. A character has move combo options available if they land a successful counter hit. Continuing the combo may put the opponent into a "Heart break" state, meaning that they can't tech off walls and floors if launched.

Holding a direction and pressing A+B at the same time will cause you to do a super move. Most characters have 2 that they can do straight away, and every character except Papeko (at least I haven't found hers yet) has a desparation super that can be done once you reach half health or below.

As your health decreases, you obtain a noticable bonus in attack and defense, so even if you're being beaten badly, it's possible to make a turn around with a few well-timed hits.

You cannot KO an opponent using a jab. In order to KO, you must hit the opponent with a strong attack.

That's basically it. I'd say that Melty Blood is harder to understand than this game. It's just different, so people will think it's more technical.

Oh, and characters have aerial attacks because certain moves allow them to jump. Papeko for example can use her diagonal back+up A move to do a little hop, and then use her aerial attacks if the hop hit the opponent.

Other characters like Ashita have a high jump command.

A magical force-field surrounding a brick in an iron vault...even if the security is breached, the thieves are bound to be disappointed.
Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:15:09 am by Ryanide
#12  September 22, 2008, 11:58:17 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
Why is everyone complaining? This game is fantastic. It's deep, it's technical, it's exciting to watch and it's competitive. It's a lot of fun to play once you understand the mechanics and the characters. And the animation style is typical Harukaze Namekai magic, which is not something anyone should complain about.

---------------

Other characters like Ashita have a high jump command.

edit: MB is just poke-BnB-air throw. Whats so technical about that?
Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:48:57 pm by c001357
#13  September 22, 2008, 03:02:06 pm
The size of the characters hurt my eyes, You don't need sprites that big in a fighting game.
#14  September 23, 2008, 01:56:51 am
It's not a typical fighting game. The big sprites are actually important given the way the game plays. Why do we want small sprites when the characters spend most of their time on the ground and fighting up close? Besides, they aren't sprites. The game is animated by moving a bunch of character parts around. Big characters are good because in this game you need to pay attention to every movement the opponent makes.

What is wrong with all of you? Stop bashing on such trivial aesthetic things. This game is a masterpiece.

The only problem I would feel is worth complaining about is that some of the characters need to be balanced more. Ruki is a little bit too good. The electrical effect on her forward super art needs to go (her powers are wind. Why does she have an electrical attack? those are only for Ammy), and she needs to be made a bit slower to compensate for her range and power.
A magical force-field surrounding a brick in an iron vault...even if the security is breached, the thieves are bound to be disappointed.
Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:02:25 am by Ryanide
#15  September 23, 2008, 02:16:57 am

Street fighter is just hadouken hadouken hadouken hadouken hadouken, what's so technical about that?
#16  September 23, 2008, 03:48:08 pm
  • what a shame
    • Iran
Wow, this game sucks.
#17  September 23, 2008, 04:02:49 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357

Street fighter is just hadouken hadouken hadouken hadouken hadouken, what's so technical about that?

You'd be suprised.
Anyway, bait caught. I'll release you into the ocean now... small fry.
#18  September 23, 2008, 07:27:14 pm
  • You know it!
    • viewtiful9.blog124.fc2.com/

Which Street Fighter? .. >_> You probably just suck.

This is a 2D boxing game with weird characters.
WOO! WOO! WOO!
PSN / XBLA - ViewtifulSuxx
#19  September 24, 2008, 03:23:50 am
I see that nobody here understands the simple principles of exaggeration.

I guess I'll have to spell it out for you: it's easy to generalise a game and completely ignore any of it's other aspects, like the melty blood and street fighter examples here. I KNOW that Steet fighter is a fairly technical fighting game, but so is Melty Blood. Me saying that Street fighter is nothing but a hadouken spam fest is the same as saying that Melty Blood comes down to pokes and air throws. Way to ignore the various defensive options and also the difficulty required to pull off some character's B&B combos in the first place.

People who think that this game suck so far have had no real backing to prove this except for a few lame "the characters look weird" comments, which are unfounded since the characters actually look quite cool.

This game is brilliant. I can understand how it's genius would be overlooked by people who are too simple minded to bother learning it, or see how clever it's system is.

If you say this game sucks, go on and write up a detailed review of why it's so bad. I'll bet most of it will just be personal bias towards the art style, because the system is solid and beautiful.
#20  September 24, 2008, 03:46:03 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
The game is decent and fun for a while. That's all, it's not a BEST GAME EVER.

Graphics, characters and music are part of the game presentation, it's a valid reason to dislike a game. However, I doubt the huge sprites are a problem, actually I think people find weird the "paper doll" movement.

The system is too different from your generic fighter, yes, your run of the mill player will feel alienated in this game, it takes a bit to understand the system and chains (Which pretty much carry and are improved from Glove On Fight) but the game is definitely not for everyone, I think you're trying too hard to force your opinion on those that dislike the game.

Regardless, my statement still stands.
I only find Makoto enjoyable to use, due her personality and movelist (And maybe Yuki and Ashita), everyone else I find extremely generic, I prefered the faaaaaaaaaaaar more wacky supers (And yeah, characters) from the first game, plus it had better presentation and more extras.