YesNoOk

MUGEN PLUS Default Plus system.def edit (Read 8765 times)

Started by DrZaius, January 23, 2009, 09:52:51 am
Share this topic:
MUGEN PLUS Default Plus system.def edit
#1  January 23, 2009, 09:52:51 am
  • Professional Gorilla
  • Ook ook!
    • USA
    • thezaius.wixsite.com/stuff
Wasn't exactly sure how to label this.  It's the system.def file.  That's the motif, isn't it?  Anyway, the default system.def file that comes with MUGEN PLUS (the one that allows both hi-res and lo-res stages) wasn't hi-res so it didn't look right.  So... I edited it... and now it holds 1750 characters.

The cells go all the way down and they cover the portraits of the characters so place a "blank" in certain slots in the select.def file if you don't want the cells to cover them.  I also edited the system.sff file to have smaller cursors.  Unfortunately, the cursors are so small and dull that you can't really see them.  I may change that in a future update. 

It's a simple edit of a simple motif.

You're gonna need to get hi-res fonts on your own.  Once you do, if you need help installing them, I suppose you can ask here.

Anyway, here's a pic!

You can find the edit here:  http://drzaius.webs.com/

On the same site, you can also find my English soundpack for Vampire Burns and atomicbuster's creations.

I'm open to any kind of comments, questions, or concerns on anything.

I know Default isn't very pretty but it's the only one I use.
My MUGEN and Minecraft site.
People need to stop using 4Shared, already.
Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:05:47 am by DrZaius
Re: MUGEN PLUS Default Plus system.def edit
#2  January 23, 2009, 02:16:55 pm
This looks like one big mess.

- you don't need that many slots
- font placement by portraits is horrible
- the portraits themselves have bad placement

you need to work on this some more.
#3  January 23, 2009, 07:04:27 pm
  • Professional Gorilla
  • Ook ook!
    • USA
Maybe I don't need that many slots but this way, I no longer have to worry about running out of space.

The large number of slots also allows me to create a design on the character selection screen by placing blanks in some of the cells.  It's as if each cell was a pixel in small image.  So you don't NEED to use all 1750 slots.  Maybe in the future I'll put up some designs.

I wanted to keep the feel of the original Default Plus so I didn't change the font placement or the portrait placement.  Well, okay, I did edit the font placement so that you could see the names of all the characters you have selected, if you have chosen the option to use four characters.  So on the right in the image above, you can see Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo.  I also made sure that the placement of that font would not interfere with the placement of the stage selection font.

I've been using and editing the default system.def file since the very beginning so I'm very fond of how it looks.  If I ever update this, it'll be to edit the cursors to make them more visible and MAYBE to put some kind of design in the character select area, which I'm initially leaving open to the creativity of others.  I may also create my own fonts in the future because the default font being shown in the image above isn't all that great.  It's not even the one I use currently but I didn't want to display a font that I didn't create.
#4  January 23, 2009, 08:04:52 pm
  • IG @tanooki_ninja
    • Puerto Rico
    • maxbeta.webs.com/mugen.htm
Holy Shi.......

Now that just looks horrible, but I'm sure some people will find use of it.

So, good work nonetheless.
"We need other people in order to create the circumstances for the learning that we are here to generate" RIP Adam Yauch aka MCA
www.instagram.com/tanooki_ninja
#5  January 23, 2009, 08:23:56 pm
  • Professional Gorilla
  • Ook ook!
    • USA
Holy Shi.......

Now that just looks horrible, but I'm sure some people will find use of it.

So, good work nonetheless.

What exactly looks horrible?

Okay, if it's the font placement next to the portraits, maybe I'll move them closer to the center so that you can see the portraits better.  I just don't want the character names colliding if a larger font is used.