YesNoOk

Cloning MUGEN's errors (Read 75820 times)

Started by Sepp, January 26, 2009, 10:01:38 pm
Re: Cloning MUGEN's errors
#21  January 28, 2009, 01:20:44 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
I guess he's talking about all the customizations possible in a fullgame point of view : storyboards, better interactions between chars, high-res menus, intros, etc. As well as save option to unlock chars and the such.

Clearly not a priority in a char creator point of view, but something to think about once (and if) everything is implemented correctly.
#22  January 28, 2009, 01:31:48 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
STOP SCARING THE CODER!

you will make him run away like that.

#23  January 28, 2009, 02:02:57 am
this shouldn't be seen as a burden of living up to the expectations of people, for now it's just some brainstorming that isn't supposed to make anyone feel like they are forced to do things, more importantly just some sort of reminder in order to make current progress modelable with future content/feats, sorta insight in the future to prevent conflicting decisions and overhaul/recoding of stuff with each new version of the software

hell I couldn't say it any better atm, you get the idea
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#24  January 28, 2009, 03:04:37 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
It's brainstorming that has been done dozens of time before, so let's keep it elsewhere and concentrate on mugen bugs that are better not being duplicated.
#25  January 28, 2009, 03:58:51 am
    • code.google.com/p/xnamugen/
STOP SCARING THE CODER!

I don't scare off that easily.

My long term goal for xnaMugen is too get it to 99% WinMugen compatability and then use the experience & knowledge I gained to create my own fighting game engine.
#26  January 28, 2009, 04:30:15 am
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
I think a big thing would be to fix up the glaring flaws along the way, points where the docs say one thing but mugen does another...but possibly allowing for some flexibility and improvement on the documentation where this isn't an actual "glitch"

Case in point, animtype for hitdefs. It never states in the docs that this parameter only checks the first letter of the string, meaning that for it "Hard", "Heavy" and "Hamburger" are all treated the same way due to the H in the front. That's something that should be fine to leave.

On the flipside, stuff like animelem as pointed out should be fixed. DefenseMulSet is a big offender too.
#27  January 28, 2009, 07:08:27 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
STOP SCARING THE CODER!

I don't scare off that easily.

My long term goal for xnaMugen is too get it to 99% WinMugen compatability and then use the experience & knowledge I gained to create my own fighting game engine.

Interesting. Not making use of what you've already achieved in this situation? I mean, fighting game engines are great, but if your new one worked in a lot of what already exists in mugen you'd get an instant fanbase. What would you do differently?

More on topic. What do we have as bugs so far?

animelem
defencemulset
nothitby
hitby (probably)
cornerpush
modifyexplod
reversaldef
hitoverride+p2stateno
time = 0 + common1.cns + -2 and -3 states
Sloppy parsing

Anything to add? A listing would be easier to read than picking bits out of posts.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#28  January 28, 2009, 08:16:00 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
What's wrong with ModifyExplod, ReversalDef, and HitOverride?
#29  January 28, 2009, 09:24:20 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
reversaldef, cannot be active alongside a hitdef
hitoverride disallows damage from p2stateno attacks (for that matter the docs list these as issues)

modifyexplod
I have had times where it won't rebind. And there was something in tips and tricks recently where you couldn't make the explod move faster, after being sped up once already via state -2. I've had my own series of stupid issues with it not quite acting as expected. How hard is it really to specify a new position and have it take. Modifyexplod should be overriding the original explod settings. Not taking bits and pieces dependant on what was set in the explod ctrl in the first place.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#30  January 28, 2009, 03:51:14 pm
    • Poland

So you want 99% working clone ? It means it will be no new features (besides fixing/improving/finishing current ones) [size=5pt]like Online Mode[/size] ?
"If our lives are indeed the sum total of the choices we've made, then we cannot change who we are. But with every new choice we're given, we can change who we're going to be." The Outer Limits S04E04

"If knowledge is power and power corrupts... how will human kind ever survive?" The Outer Limits S04E16
#31  January 28, 2009, 04:02:48 pm
  • DAT SAX
With ModifyExplod, you can't change the explod's velocity, which I was trying to do for Barns' intro. >:|

I think you should make every value of Explod work for ModifyExplod.

~*The Last Quincy*~         ~Sig by [TempesT]
My MUGEN shit:
MvC2 Tron Bonne, MvC Kim Kaphwan, Barns (Destruction Desire),
and Burai Yamamoto (Arranged)
#32  January 28, 2009, 04:04:33 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the -2 state thingie should not be changed as it might break some other stuff, at much a -4 state should be added that is run after regular state code is run.

[EDIT]

also, we have to think on a way for stuff to be done "after the frame has been logically rendered" so helpers can be re-bound to a parent that got hit/moved.

#33  January 28, 2009, 05:51:17 pm
  • I got a PM.
I personally would like to see stages get clsn boxes.
#34  January 28, 2009, 06:08:18 pm
  • can see your halo
    • Germany
    • Skype - panchasell
    • www.mugenguild.com/
"Several times now, Achamian thought he had glimpsed golden haloes about Kellhus's hands. He found himself envying those, such as Proyas, who claimed to see them all the time."
--R. Scott Bakker
The Thousandfold Thought (2006)
#35  January 28, 2009, 07:03:20 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
#36  January 28, 2009, 07:05:05 pm
  • I got a PM.
Good point, I'm still thinking inside the mugen box.
#37  January 28, 2009, 08:26:27 pm
    • Argentina
    • http://furiadivina.mygamesonline.org
Also you can do something better with the select screen
#38  January 29, 2009, 03:00:03 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Character features first! As far as i'm concerned the screenpack can die for the moment and we'll do it over in a different way.

#39  January 29, 2009, 08:53:07 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Folks, this thread was about focusing on getting a mugen clone and fixing or not the current bugs. This is not a wish list, so if you want one, create a new thread for that.

XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#40  January 29, 2009, 06:16:16 pm
    • Argentina
    • http://furiadivina.mygamesonline.org
I guess you're right . . . i'll come back later in the future  :sneaky: