Palettes are stupid. (Read 6084 times)

Started by Bastard Mami, March 04, 2009, 07:52:09 pm
Share this topic:
Palettes are stupid.
#1  March 04, 2009, 07:52:09 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
In this hypotetical context.

You can take 1 hour to make a hidef sprite that can't be palettized properly or you can take 3 hours to clean it and make it palettize well.In that situation are you better off making two different spritesets for the character rather than a single palettizable sprite set?

Re: Palettes are stupid.
#2  March 04, 2009, 08:55:52 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
#3  March 04, 2009, 08:56:56 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
depends on your needs
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#4  March 04, 2009, 10:40:26 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
There is a good possibiity that a non-palettized sprite looks better on screen than a palettized one does, because of antialiasing.
Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:43:53 pm by Frederica Bernkastel~
#5  March 04, 2009, 11:03:17 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
This was shown in toskomic's HR Goku
#6  March 04, 2009, 11:31:10 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
so, what's your opinion on it ?

also, I think it matters even more with Hidef sprites.
#7  March 04, 2009, 11:49:58 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Doesn't really effect much unless everyone is the same character (ie: Goku vs Goku, or a simul match made entirely of Gokus) at which point it might be a bit confusing. Plus most palettes I see nowadays are terrible.

Encyclopedia Dramatica said:
ACT: Because we need to turn more white people into black people
#8  March 04, 2009, 11:52:31 pm
depends whether the char is so awesome it needs to be in all its glory, only then it's worth it
"I’m never gonna grab anything by its balls, especially life. especially if life shows up in the incarnation where it would have testicles. if life showed up and had balls, the last thing I would do is grab those balls" - kyle kinane
#9  March 05, 2009, 04:29:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Let's use kofXII as an example. According to snkp each sprite took 6 hours, I blame the careful pixel cleaning, let's say that instead of cleaning each pixel with so much detail they just made the sprite and got over it, so it took them only 2 hours; now with the time reduced to one 3rd we could have gotten alt outfits for everychar and 8 more chars and the disadvantage would be that the sprites would look like they do in the hidef jpg images.
#10  March 05, 2009, 06:51:46 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
I'll take the palettes over the jpeg outfits. :blank:
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#11  March 05, 2009, 07:30:47 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
They could have made 8 extra chars if the didn't say "duuuh April 09"  :(

Ordinary Palettes are better. But that's up to you if you want the 3 extra hours of work.

This thread reminded me of the colour seperated (censored) sprites that I was doing before my hard drive crashed................

:bigcry:

#12  March 05, 2009, 07:34:33 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I do a lto of color separation for regular sprites, but it seems that with the higer reses pixel detail might not be that important; though I still have to see live kofxii.
#13  March 05, 2009, 07:36:30 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
They are doing it at the cost of extra sprites. I watched a newer video, the timeout anims were just one frame of a turn anim. They also have no intros.
#14  March 05, 2009, 07:38:59 pm
    • Portugal
In KOF12's case, instead of having quickly (slash halfassed) retouched sprites as you suggest, they might as well just have used the actual 3D models.

Though there's that thing we talked about the other day, with them overdoing the number of shades, and thus possibly have wasted a lot of time. It's easy to imagine them toning it down for 13.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#15  March 05, 2009, 07:42:01 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Yeah, I think blaz blue  sprites did not take that much time if compared to kofxii. If you want some extra reference take a look at arcane heart's sprites. Especially the amount of colors.
#16  March 05, 2009, 07:44:56 pm
    • Portugal
Arcana Heart is what Dragonball Shin Butoden tried and failed, I suppose, and it looks great.  And they support palettes properly to boot.
#17  March 05, 2009, 07:45:44 pm
    • Argentina
    • http://furiadivina.mygamesonline.org
i hate those new jpeg sprites . . . now the guys that made kof xii were dumb enough to only use the 3d models as a base (remade shading) instead of just cleaning them for a proper palette action
#18  March 05, 2009, 07:48:30 pm
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
I just wonder how many colours those sprites have. In my opinion, The Blaz Blue sprites are better than the KOF XII ones (even if they cheated a little).

The AH sprites are done very well. What was the process for Arcana Heart (sprite making)?
#19  March 05, 2009, 07:52:57 pm
    • Argentina
    • http://furiadivina.mygamesonline.org
RESIZED DRAWINGS

oh and you're blind  ;)
#20  March 05, 2009, 07:56:10 pm
    • Portugal
"My favourite > Your favourite >:("

(No, actually, it's fair to "objectively" say 12's are better because of the sheer amount of work in each sprite)