YesNoOk

More than 60 characters? (Read 6706 times)

Started by Nemephosis, March 24, 2009, 03:30:22 am
Share this topic:
More than 60 characters?
#1  March 24, 2009, 03:30:22 am
Hi guys. I did a search (ie it was on the first page of threads and I got lucky) and found a way to use more than 10 characters at a time. My selection screen is up to 60 now. However I find myself needing more than that!

Since I'm still new at this, what would be the easiest way to increase this again? I'm not sure how many I will need yet, depends on who I find I like. I am looking mainly for female characters as I am one of those people who thinks it sucks that a fighting game of 16 characters can have two females. (Anyone got recommendations?)

So I've got about 60 right now, and 60 is my selection limit. If I can get about 100, that'd be better.

Thanks for any help!

edit: aw, crap. Should this have gone in the configuration thread? Damn it, I'm sorry about that.
Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:35:38 am by Nemephosis

Re: More than 60 characters?
#2  March 24, 2009, 03:54:37 am
You can increase the select screen from 60 to 100 via the same means you increased it from 10 to 60; assuming you did that manually by adjusting the screenpack itself.

If you're not into adjusting values yourself you could always download a screenpack that has a larger number of slots on the select screen (ie this). A list of more screenpacks can be found here.

- Not sure how to install a screenpack? Many screenpacks come with instructions, but in short:
If you want that screenpack only for the time being, you'll need to either replace files in your MUGEN "data" folder and then configure characters (etc.) as you did previously.

- If you want to download multiple screenpacks and switch between them without having to uninstall the previous pack you'll have to create a folder within ~/data, naming it whatever you like (presumably whatever the screenpack's called), put all the screenpack files in there, and then do one of the following:
- Open ~/data/mugen.cfg in a text editor (Notepad) and change the select.def and system.def paths so they point to the screenpack files instead of the default ones:
Example said:
Example:

data/system.def

Should become:

data/examplefolder/system.def
(etc.)
- Or (probably easier) create a shortcut to the winmugen executable, and (assuming you're on Windows) right-click it, go to Properties, and look for the "Target" bar. Add to the end of that bar "-r screenpack folder name" (without quotes).
Example said:
Example:
Initially the bar should read this:
"~/etc./winmugen.exe"
Once you've changed it, it should look like this:
"~etc./winmugen.exe" -r examplefolder

If you have any other problems, let me know.
#3  March 24, 2009, 04:16:03 am
Well, what I did was replace the System file in the data folder with the one in the "big" folder, as indicated in another thread on this forum. I find it's still not enough though, so I'll look into a different select screen. Besides, the default is pretty bland to begin with anyway. And yeah, multiple select screens at the same time isn't a problem, I can overwrite them if I want different ones. Gotta take it slow here, this is a LOT to digest and I haven't started learning how to add stages yet, just characters.

Thank you for the link!

Edit: I do have a question. I don't suppose a screen pack made for DOS Mugen will fork for Winmugen, will it? I found a really great Marvel vs Capcom 2 motif I like, but it says it's for DOS Mugen... and wouldn't you know it, there is of course no instructions with this one.
Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:00:00 am by Nemephosis
#4  March 24, 2009, 09:32:55 pm
  • Fix the ones that can be fixed and ignore the rest
I've never tried a DOS screen pack, but DOS characters can crash Mugen.

I haven't started learning how to add stages yet, just characters.

Adding stages is like adding chars, except that you must tell mugen where to look.

ExampleStage (normal file name)
stages/ExampleStage.def (specifying the directories)

Just add "stages/" to the beggining of the name and ".def" to the end.

Hope this helps. :)
#5  March 25, 2009, 12:28:14 am
go get the mugen configurator avalible all over the web it makes all this stuff faster increaseing the max number of selectible characters ,adding stages,adjusting the double res  i like bileniear filtering for low res sprites, makes everything faster but seting arcade mode aperances wich is still manualy done in the select.def file

2nd post

forbiden justsu!!!!!  c(+.+c )-^ C )
#6  March 25, 2009, 02:16:56 am
heh. I checked it out and it looks even more confusing than what I'm doing now. I need to take this stuff slowly here...

#7  March 25, 2009, 02:21:51 am
90% of the stuff you can do with tools like that you can do by just editing the game config files by hand (the other 10% being ad-hoc tournaments and whatever else those apps support).
#8  March 25, 2009, 05:40:02 am
Can you use a DOS Mugen screen pack with Win Mugen? If so, this kills two problems with one solution: I want more tha  n 60 characters and the default theme is getting pretty bland. I found a great Marvel vs Capcom 2 theme but it says it is for DOS Mugen.

If it can't be used, does anyone know of a Win Mugen variety?

And then what do you do with it? I know that is a stupid question, but typically the one I downloaded has no instructions on what to do with the stuff...

#9  March 25, 2009, 02:22:50 pm
If the screenpack you mean is the one found here, then it crashed my WinMUGEN when I tried running it. I think it's safe to say that DOS screenpacks won't be reliable on WinMUGEN.

I found another MvC2 screenpack on this page, but it's high-res, meaning that you'll have to be running 640x480/WinMUGEN Plus for it to run.

(More info on WinMUGEN Plus)

To install the screenpack you'll just have paste the files into the ~/data folder (it's alright to overwrite stuff, you should have a backup of the default screenpack in ~/data/kfm if I remember correctly).
#10  March 25, 2009, 03:19:32 pm
Okay, I think I've got WinMugen Plus up and running. All my characters show up and everything. But when I start it with the EXE file, it gives all the information of the debug EXE (numbers in the life bar, code text in the lower left corner etc.) How can I stop that from showing up?

I am using hte standard EXE, and not the debug (I tried the debug and it runs at 320x240 as opposed to 640x480.)

Also I just wanted to thank you guys for being patient and answering my dumbass questions. :)

edit: Oh... shoot. A backup in the KFM folder? Who put it there? I didn't want that character so I deleted it...

I think I still have the zip though, so if I really need to, I can dig through there.
Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:47:17 pm by Nemephosis

#11  March 25, 2009, 03:36:22 pm
Yeah, you can fix that by opening mugen.cfg (in /data) with a text editor and setting "debug" to 0, or pressing Ctrl-D ingame (it'll still start in dubug mode if you do this, though). If debugkeys isn't set to 1 already you might want to set it while you're there, as it allows AI toggling (the only simple means of fighting the CPU in versus mode).

You can also set a couple of other settings there if you want - if MUGEN isn't pushing your PC memory-wise you might want to try raising the layered sprites/explod/helper/projectile maximums (just above the debug section), as some characters have moves that try to draw a lot of sprites and often hit the game's default limit.
Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:39:30 pm by 3
#12  March 25, 2009, 06:12:47 pm
Thanks for the link 3, I managed to figure it out and got it working. It doesn't quite look like the DOS one I liked, but it's fine. :)

Time to dig deeper, I think. Now I need some life bars. *goes hunting*

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me, thanks. :)