YesNoOk

Balance patch for ShinRyoga's Super Mario (Read 22490 times)

Started by Baby Bonnie Hood, April 18, 2009, 04:00:53 pm
Share this topic:
Balance patch for ShinRyoga's Super Mario
New #1  April 18, 2009, 04:00:53 pm
  • Cute Bounty Hunter

I was inspired by JudgeSpear's work on Warner's Homer and, more recently, Kung Fu Man's work on Ahuron's Syo.  So after deciding that ShinRyoga's wonderful sprites deserved much better than its currently broken state, I went through his programming and fixed him all up.  I'll make a full changelog later, but basically I fixed his animations, toned down his AI, and hopefully removed everything that made him cheap and broken.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mlmymnnmqid

There should be no trouble since this is a patch, you still need the original character to make it work.

I hope this marks the end of Super Mario being... disliked.  And as for Super Luigi, meh to him.
Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:12:19 pm by Bulleta's Koopakoot
Re: Balance patch for ShinRyoga's Super Mario
#2  April 18, 2009, 04:09:47 pm
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
if there wasn't an ai people wouldn't cry about him being overpowered.
#3  April 18, 2009, 04:10:43 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
^
Nailed it on the head, hehe.

I want that changelog now!
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#4  April 18, 2009, 05:10:21 pm
  • WHERE ARE THE GUNS?
    • www.freewebs.com/zach033094
Oh boy.

I'm giving this fucker a try when I get back on my computer.
#5  April 18, 2009, 07:02:57 pm
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
CHANGELOG

Super Mario:
- Mario's voice now uses channel 0.
- Fixed up animations, especially the ones for getting hurt.
- Almost all animations given Clsn2, doesn't matter if they previously had none whether by mistake or by design (no Clsn2 is never a substitute for a NotHitBy).
- Disabled powering up vs certain cheapies; there's no need to stoop to their level, just F1 or Del them.
- Disabled reacting to taunts from anyone named "Chun-Li"; it was stupid and it just made him do an intro pose in the middle of battle, complete with lack of Clsn2.
- Made intros usable as turn intros as well.
- Dodge rolls now have Clsn2 and use both NotHitBy and PlayerPush; he's vulnerable near the end, he can be thrown at any time, and he cannot cancel them into attacks anymore (not in normal mode anyway).
- Changed block properties of all attacks; standing attacks hit middle, crouching kicks (not punches) hit low and are the only air-unblockable attacks, and air attacks hit high.
- Added a new power charge move, making use of a previously unused animation.
- Throws now hit at the very start of the move; and also, air throws no longer combo and cannot be chained into anymore.
- Fireballs can now hit and be hit by other projectiles.
- Strong fireball throws now shoot bouncing/falling fireballs, and EX fireball throws now shoot straight fireballs that hit only once.
- Changed physics of air tornado spins, entire move now starts and ends entirely in the air without landing.
- Changed drill kick into a continuous downwards attack.
- Doing a head stomp no longer alters your velocity, but you still bounce off after hitting.
- Coin punches now have Clsn2 and use NotHitBy; they can now also be blocked standing and in the air (as well as crouching, of course), and they can now be air recovered out of.
- Coin punch counter now requires 2000 power to match its 2000 power cost (before, it only needed 1000 while still taking 2000).
- Added Clsn2 to the level 3 supers.
- Super Flame can now hit projectiles.
- Both Super Flame and Super Hammer have invincibility until their attacks end; they both also have added recovery times.
- Invincible Star now has a start-up lag before becoming invincible; you can be hit before finishing the move.
- You can now regain power normally while still invincible from the Star.
- You cannot do any level 3 supers (including the matrix time stop) while the Invincible Star effect is active.
- Improved display of super portrait, it should be very noticeable now.
- Greatly toned down brutality of AI; otherwise, it's mostly the same script.
- Disabled AI blocking, it's old archaic shit from DosMUGEN (and mine, even!) that causes the AI airblock dropdown phenomenon that no one ever notices; the default MUGEN AI's good enough to block for him.
- Removed all commands allowing Mario to interrupt his get-up anim into an attack/roll; just do wake-up options the old fashioned not-look-like-he's-cheating way.

Neo Mario:
- Anim of matrix win pose no longer loops.
- Removed wall jump that allowed him to jump indefinitely.
- Counter coin punch now needs and takes only 1000 power (instead of being for free yet still taking 2000 power anyway).
- Matrix time stop now takes 3000 power to match its 3000 power cost (before, it only took 1000).
- This is now the only mode where you can cancel the dodge rolls into attacks, so have fun.

Ghost Mario:
- Over 50% life is now required for the Luigi vacuum win pose.
- Slowed down life loss, making him useful once again.
- Entirety of Super Hammer is unblockable, not just the last hit like the readme said.
- Autopower charge stops when roundstate isn't 2, when Mario is KOed, and during level 3 supers.

Stone Mario:
- Statue form now has Clsn2 and can now be hit, although this doesn't affect Mario at all; the statue breakout is invincible until the attack ends.

To sum it all up, I made him more MvC and less SSB.  Time will tell if what I've done will be approved or not.....
#6  April 18, 2009, 07:07:40 pm
    • UK
I'm using the SSBB Voice Patch for Mario, will this update affect this in any way?

And don't forget to do this for Luigi too, even if he's just a sprite and scale swap of Mario.
To play or not to play: That is the question...
#7  April 18, 2009, 07:33:12 pm
  • Master of the palm and foot.
    • randomselect.piiym-net.com/
Hm, the attack power nerf might be too much, seeing the current version in action. A working damage dampener would do a lot better as an alternative in this case, though means a lot more work.
#8  April 18, 2009, 11:30:48 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
#9  April 19, 2009, 02:29:32 am
  • Your Average MFG Forum Member
  • As Seen on Youtube
    • Brazil
    • Skype - iago-moraes
    • www.youtube.com/user/yagoshi300
Approved!

Can i host it?

Homina Homina Homina
#10  April 19, 2009, 03:05:07 am
  • ロッキングガール
  • 「目指すはクールでロックなアイドル!」
    • twitter.com/c001357
#11  April 19, 2009, 03:19:24 am
  • The Absolute Worst
    • Canada
    • Skype - do.not.even.ask
    • randomselect.piiym.net/
After a few minutes of screwing around, I found a few problems:
  • Neo Mario has an infinite: (Jumping towards opponent) d + Z [air] -> d + Z (repeat ad nauseam). Oddly enough you can almost do the same with the other Mario modes, but after you get 5 hits, you can't juggle anymore.
  • Head Stomp on an opponent in the corner. Not necessarily an infinite, since if it's recipient isn't a moron they can punish you accordingly, but when paired with Ghost Mario it becomes maybe a smidgen unfair. Probably want to fiddle with the recovery on that one.
  • Small portrait always sports a red pixel regardless of the palette. Small aesthetic issue, but an issue nonetheless.
  • When the super meter isn't full, B or Y separately will make Mario power charge instead of B+Y.

I'll update whenever I come across anything else.
Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 03:32:27 am by Do not even ask
#12  April 19, 2009, 07:00:50 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
I'm using the SSBB Voice Patch for Mario, will this update affect this in any way?

It shouldn't unless the voice patch added new sounds.

And don't forget to do this for Luigi too, even if he's just a sprite and scale swap of Mario.

I have no interest in patching Luigi.  Just patch Mario and then copypaste Luigi's name, voice, and size on him or something.

Neo Mario has an infinite: (Jumping towards opponent) d + Z [air] -> d + Z (repeat ad nauseam). Oddly enough you can almost do the same with the other Mario modes, but after you get 5 hits, you can't juggle anymore.

It's not an infinite since the opponent can just air recover out of it.  Unless of course their air recover was removed... >_>

Regardless, I'm leaving Neo Mario as is infinites and all.  Because hacking The Matrix is still cool.

Head Stomp on an opponent in the corner. Not necessarily an infinite, since if it's recipient isn't a moron they can punish you accordingly, but when paired with Ghost Mario it becomes maybe a smidgen unfair. Probably want to fiddle with the recovery on that one.

Anyone can move out of the corner (even walking will do).  Besides, Ghost Mario still loses life faster than he can headstomp people to death even with the slowed down life loss.

Small portrait always sports a red pixel regardless of the palette. Small aesthetic issue, but an issue nonetheless.

Sounds and graphics aren't under my jurisdiction as a code patcher.  That is the original programmer's problem, not mine.

When the super meter isn't full, B or Y separately will make Mario power charge instead of B+Y.

...I can't believe I missed this >_<

I'll fix that in a jiffy.

Edit: All fixed.  I uploaded a new patch, this thread's first post has been edited with the new link.
Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 07:26:49 am by Yoma's BBHood
#13  April 19, 2009, 08:12:19 am
  • The Absolute Worst
    • Canada
    • Skype - do.not.even.ask
    • randomselect.piiym.net/
It's not an infinite since the opponent can just air recover out of it.  Unless of course their air recover was removed... &gt;_&gt;
Ahh... right.

Coin Punch Counter's a little useless for something that eats up 2000 power. It's great for getting aggressors off you, but a throw is a better and cost effective alternative.
#14  April 19, 2009, 09:26:22 am
Sounds and graphics aren't under my jurisdiction as a code patcher.  That is the original programmer's problem, not mine.

Go ahead and fix it. Hsieh's patch had the SFF in there, it shouldn't hurt to do the same with yours.
#15  April 20, 2009, 09:31:43 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
#16  April 20, 2009, 09:51:03 am
Yeah disregard my statement there somewhat, since it related more to a bug you mentioned elsewhere that you tidied up (the charging issue).

I can host this alongside the actual character if you want. You might hit up ShinRyoga himself even, see if he'd have any problems with the patch incorporated into the actual character (he's done so before with the previous patches people have made).
#17  October 02, 2009, 04:52:44 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
Apparently the link died, so I renewed it.  First post has been edited with the new link.

It's pretty much the same, except for one update: Tornado Spin can no longer be chained into itself in Neo Mario mode.
#18  October 03, 2009, 08:51:44 am
if there wasn't an ai people wouldn't cry about him being overpowered.

Exactly.  
AI is a huge waste of the character creators time, that time would be well spent on making their next character or fixing bugs on the current character.  
I mean why does M.U.G.E.N have difficulty settings for? what's the point?
f*** it, I delete AI.  
#19  January 08, 2010, 05:19:47 am
Bit of an old topic, but I recently tried the patch out. It's not too bad. I did run across a problem though. For some reason whenever I do his Coin Punch (F,D,DF,P) he freezes in mid-air right when he's about to touch the ground. This happens with both the normal and EX versions of the move, and he stays that way until the opponent lands a move on them. Any help on fixing this? I'm assuming it's something that could be fixed with a little tinkering to the character's code, but I'm not exactly a coder myself. Any help's appreciated!
#20  January 09, 2010, 12:25:59 am
  • SWEET JUMPING CTHULHU ON A POGO STICK!!
Oh my god!  Super Mario not grotesquely over-powered and cheap ? Sign me up!