#1Posted by President Devon in Fate/Grand Order (Started by c001357 August 10, 2015, 05:42:19 pm
It's about time someone tried putting together a soundfont full of this fun stuff.
But, I don't think it should be just one total soundfont that encompasses "everything." CPS2 has a lot of games, each with their own kinds of unique sets of instruments leading to a particular style of sound to each game. Meshing them all together into one soundfont is gonna end up like Setzer's SPC Soundfont, or the Ultimate Mega Drive Soundfont. Which are mostly just cherry-picked favorite instruments that have no real cohesion to the sound they give out (for us purists anyway).
So, I wouldn't call it a CPS2 soundfont. Something more like... How about "The Capcom QSoundfont"? I'd split it up into several soundfonts, because of sound palettes that change between games, if that makes any sense. Like, let's say... The soundfont that features a lot of Marvel vs. series instruments also includes instruments from the likes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Warzard, Star Gladiator, Strider 2 and such, since they draw from the same kind of instrument palette in this case.
But as far as issues with the soundfont itself, go... This is from FL Studio's soundfont player, but here:
- Instruments 1, 20 (should be Organ 3), 34, and 37 are all missing loop points.
- Instrument 12... You should really sample that one from the games rather than the high quality version there.
- Instrument 46 needs to be pitch tuned up by 40 cents.
- For accuracy's sake, allow Instrument 49 the full range of octaves.
- Instrument 53 needs to be pitch tuned down by 40 cents.
- Instrument 56, I'd just have the orchestra hit once and have it panned in the center.
- Instrument 62 stands as a bit of the issue I was describing above. It's clearly of a different sound palette and sounds really ugly compared to the rest of the sounds. Only way to fix this is with some EQ work.
- Instrument 64 probably shouldn't pan out how it does with looping.
- Instrument 91 has some issues looping.