YesNoOk

PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D Unreal 4 Meets Mugen! Update: 15.01.2018 (Read 226506 times)

Started by Achilleon, December 03, 2015, 06:51:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D Unreal 4 Meets Mugen! Update: 11.03.2017
#201  April 11, 2017, 10:26:35 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
So after watching that painfully slow palette video, I think I have a dumb idea for you.
Instead of using a base image from Ken, could you make a palette grid? Like how Photoshop and Fighter Factory 3 display the palette?

Often If you dont have multiple images of the character to sort through you dont actually see ALL of the colors needed for the character. I imagine you could use your way and cycle through images to find a color you missed. But I think having the grid with all the colors laid out would be easier.
I dont think your template/UE4 would care about the palettes' order from Mugen or the pcx file. So a lot of character's palettes arent probably set up the best. But You could redo it easy.

The whole process needs to be streamlined. Maybe set up the template to have 256 of those "grids" set up. I choose the colors, then delete the ones not used? 15 minutes to set up a palette is a crazy amount of time. And that's not even deciding what Hue and Saturation and Color and everything else.

PeteNub didn't seem too interested in this project when we talked the other day. But I think it's pretty early on and we were having a conversation about something totally different. I'll bring it back up to him a little later down the road.

And dont get me wrong about the palettes. I'm excited to see it working!  The project looks more and more awesome every update.
vVv Wheat Stage Released vVv
#202  April 12, 2017, 12:27:15 am
So after watching that painfully slow palette video, I think I have a dumb idea for you.
Instead of using a base image from Ken, could you make a palette grid? Like how Photoshop and Fighter Factory 3 display the palette?

Often If you dont have multiple images of the character to sort through you dont actually see ALL of the colors needed for the character. I imagine you could use your way and cycle through images to find a color you missed. But I think having the grid with all the colors laid out would be easier.
I dont think your template/UE4 would care about the palettes' order from Mugen or the pcx file. So a lot of character's palettes arent probably set up the best. But You could redo it easy.

The whole process needs to be streamlined. Maybe set up the template to have 256 of those "grids" set up. I choose the colors, then delete the ones not used? 15 minutes to set up a palette is a crazy amount of time. And that's not even deciding what Hue and Saturation and Color and everything else.

PeteNub didn't seem too interested in this project when we talked the other day. But I think it's pretty early on and we were having a conversation about something totally different. I'll bring it back up to him a little later down the road.

And dont get me wrong about the palettes. I'm excited to see it working!  The project looks more and more awesome every update.

Howdy Odb718!

First of all I must say, I know the pain and it looks worse when you watch that video. I got good news and bad news regarding the problem.

Good news is, the new system I have is way easier, much less time consuming etc!
Bad news is, it still asks for a palette grid to function and needs little bit of more work than just slapping an .act file into Unreal and hoping it does not explode (such hope would be in vein, as Unreal does not know what .act is.) You still need to fetch colors, but it's faster!

I will show it "soonish" when I can get to creating a character from scratch and show the procedure, but there is a reason I am not going the route of "fuck it, pay a thousands of dollar to hire a programmer to slap a .act file recognizing system in the Engine".

First of all, we know that we need a palette system for characters, so they can be colored different to a degree to separate characters. But, a Blue outfitted Ken Masters, and a Red outfitted Ken Masters have the same Shoryuken Fire. So we don't do any palette work for this fire:

Secondly, what happens if you have a very blurry effect?

Surely above example does not look good, but there are thousands of colors in there that you can't get away with 256 colors only. Even if you succeeded, that would be a huge work to just optimize and make it look acceptable.

I just don't want to limit people just because they are using the old ways, but hang in there, the new system is a middle line where both option-lovers will enjoy.

TLDR: I know it's problematic, I feel the same way, I improved it to a big degree, but I didn't show anything yet. ^_^
#203  April 12, 2017, 07:40:43 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Heh, maybe I'll bug Pete for a way to recognize palettes easy. No promises though.
What sucks is I dont think he owes me a favor any longer. (I sent him an RGH a long time ago)

A side question. So how I have the grid. Would it be possible to set up an automated process where if the image was 16x16 (256 spots) or something like 256x256, could you get UE4 to read those blocks in the grid and attach them as the palette? You wouldn't have a standard ACT file, but YOU and your system could have a standardized PNG file for obtaining a 256 color palette.

I'll bug Pete about this also, but I'm not sure if it's possible for you to do now. Pete's implemented stuff in GoW I asked for so he's pretty open to suggestions on making things better.
#204  April 12, 2017, 11:12:14 am
Heh, maybe I'll bug Pete for a way to recognize palettes easy. No promises though.
What sucks is I dont think he owes me a favor any longer. (I sent him an RGH a long time ago)

A side question. So how I have the grid. Would it be possible to set up an automated process where if the image was 16x16 (256 spots) or something like 256x256, could you get UE4 to read those blocks in the grid and attach them as the palette? You wouldn't have a standard ACT file, but YOU and your system could have a standardized PNG file for obtaining a 256 color palette.

I'll bug Pete about this also, but I'm not sure if it's possible for you to do now. Pete's implemented stuff in GoW I asked for so he's pretty open to suggestions on making things better.

There is a main difference between GoW and Paper2D in Unreal 4 though. You see, it's easy to get a certain texture location via using a mask for 3D meshes. So if you have a 3D mesh that has 256 colors, you can map the UV to a palette grid, then change the colors in the material editor, because colors are in fixed locations. But in Paper2D, the Flipbook is a material itself, rather than a 3D mesh. It's basically a Material pretending to be 2D. So colors are recalculated in every frame, which comes with -this- problem below;

This is an okay palette. You can get this in Unreal and work pretty well with it because all colors are separated. My new approach for much faster development on color-system needs a palette grid like this, where -every- color is different than each other.

Now here is the side effect:

This is something that will never work on Unreal as there are colors that are exactly the same. Unreal will not be able to catch which color of Sprite belongs to which slot, so 1 slot will override all the slots that are exactly same in the palette grid.

Long story short, if your BASE palette grid with all colors different from each other, all will be fine and you can create a second palette out of that palette grid to have the above second image palette.

But if you have the second example palette grid in Unreal 4 first, you will not be able to get the result in the first picture. Instead, you will get this result;

As you see, colors are getting overriden.

I am always open to development help, but don't judge yet before seeing the new way I am handling this, and don't let years old videos demoralize. There is still light in the end of the tunnel! :p

#205  April 12, 2017, 08:44:12 pm
  • Complicated.cns
    • Argentina
This is something that will never work on Unreal as there are colors that are exactly the same. Unreal will not be able to catch which color of Sprite belongs to which slot, so 1 slot will override all the slots that are exactly same in the palette grid.

This isn't really an issue since no one really uses this kind of palette as the original one for the sprites. They're always separated so alternative colors don't have that kind of issue.
#206  April 13, 2017, 02:54:05 am

This isn't really an issue since no one really uses this kind of palette as the original one for the sprites. They're always separated so alternative colors don't have that kind of issue.

Oh? I always thought you guys prepared such palettes outside! Well that's good news then, you guys will love the new palette work. I should probably showcase it at some point!

Thank you for the information. ^_^
#207  April 13, 2017, 06:16:51 am
  • Vs Style Debuts Tag Project CEO
  • The Dark Wolf Returns
    • USA
I was checking this out and I'm beginning to feel moments of excitement because of the features only UE4 has. Quick question, does this support 2v2? If so, is it possible to see all 4 players select ports on the select/versus screens?

I've got to try this out!
Beware the Dark Wolf once more!
#208  April 13, 2017, 02:29:34 pm
I was checking this out and I'm beginning to feel moments of excitement because of the features only UE4 has. Quick question, does this support 2v2? If so, is it possible to see all 4 players select ports on the select/versus screens?

I've got to try this out!

Unreal 4 is indeed strong enough standalone to give hype, especially with it's visual scripting. But those you ask are yet to be built in. This is still in very early stages but yes, we will have those options. ^_^
#209  April 13, 2017, 11:51:01 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
If someone's "Sakura" has duplicated colors, the good news for Mugen to your project is that Fighter Factory 3 is able to change the palette of characters already made extremely easy. They would have all unique colors and apply those changes to the sprites, and then export them with those changes with just a few button clicks.

PeteNub is pretty high up in the pecking order of Epic. I know he's close to the project lead, so I dont know exactly how deep his level of involvement in the actual engine is, but I know he can make changes the planet utilizes.

This is VERY far off but I'd love to see modes companies have never thought of. Like one would be a survival mode against 2 human players. P1 picks his guy, the round starts and P2 and P4 are spawned randomly like arcade. Once P4 & P2 dies, P1 gets a chunk of health back and his opponents get 2 new characters.
Heck if all 4 controllers work 1v3 would be amazing.
#210  April 14, 2017, 12:20:11 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Yea...that survival mode idea is awful.
#211  April 14, 2017, 10:00:13 am
    • USA
Great work!
I'm a little late to the party, but is this released anywhere?
#212  April 14, 2017, 12:02:42 pm
    • Germany
Great work!
I'm a little late to the party, but is this released anywhere?

No it is not released anywhere yet, he is still working on it, but what he has done so far is realy impressive.
#213  April 15, 2017, 04:42:07 pm
PeteNub is pretty high up in the pecking order of Epic. I know he's close to the project lead, so I dont know exactly how deep his level of involvement in the actual engine is, but I know he can make changes the planet utilizes.

No need for this. Palette Grid system video coming soon. We can have palettes in Unreal now thanks to my C++ programmer. The final form is at hand! Palette lovers will be full of joy and we will still have the option to have sprites without palette restrictions, aka having uncountable colors as I talked above.

About modes, if I count all the modes people demanded so far from me, we would have maybe 60+ running around. Let me finish the core first. ^_^

And thanks to everyone for support once again.

#214  April 21, 2017, 08:07:21 am
    • Germany
And here is Achilleon's new Palette Grid system video.  ;D

#215  April 21, 2017, 08:40:26 am
  • I´m a big fan of...THIS HAND?!
    • Spain
The new palette system is very interesting, I have an edited character by me called Primeus(originally by Ricepigeon) but he has Color Loss because the character is really a photo(Obviously a photo has more than 256 colors).

So, I think is very useful not only for specials effects, it is also very useful for joke characters like that:
For example:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

About making palettes, for me making palettes is a nightmare in Mugen I remember I was making palettes for my edited Homer and was really a nightmare, but in Unreal looks very easy.
For this reason I think Unreal Fighter is really a hope for me(Specially if I am specialized for making joke characters with more than 256 colours).
#216  April 26, 2017, 03:15:04 am
  • un mago errante
    • Chile
    • Skype - cristopeles
    • cristopeles.wordpress.com
It is better contribution to mugen in years we all support you in this crusade of creation

I will be hanging 90% of my time in mugen of this.
un mago errante estudiando idiomas para salir de la rutina
#217  April 26, 2017, 09:58:50 am
    • djjosehisterico@gmail.com
Wow! Your palette system it's amazing and you can modify every part, it's posible choose the palette in the character select screen? Thanks for this new update, see you.
#218  April 26, 2017, 06:11:31 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
That settles it. This literally blows M.U.G.E.N. out of the water.
#219  April 27, 2017, 02:55:53 pm
  • Spacebunkle
  • I'm a bunkle.
    • USA
    • vinvulpis@yahoo.com
    • Skype - VinVulpis
So, forgive me if these questions were already answered in this thread, or I missed something in the initial post, but I was just linked to this and I was instantly interested.

So, based on what was said in the original post, you mean that the scripting of character functions would be very similar and easy to post over?

Also, how easy would it be to make this engine bend to have beat'em-up features. I'm looking to make a lane-based fighter/beat'em-up with some simple platforming. MUGEN is mainly what I know well and I was looking into new, more proper engines to make my game in. I would then need to learn the coding/scripting for that. I haven't had much time to dedicate to that yet, so I've just been working on animations in the mean time.

In regards to lanes, could it handle proper character scaling including the hitboxes. Like Real Bout Fatal Fury.

I also am wondering along with that, if this engine would support a save-feature and achievement system for a single player mode. Mainly because my story is told by achieving certain tasks and more levels of the game become unlocked as things are complete.

Lastly, what would the issue be with selling original works made with this in the future.

EDIT: Actually, I think I understand more what's going on here. What I wanna do should be possible, that's the whole purpose of "template," I'm assuming. Also, I figure this would just fall under standard UE4 licencing?
Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:31:36 pm by VinVulpis
#220  April 28, 2017, 03:53:49 pm
  • United Mugen Alliance
    • USA
    • sharingan2anthony@gmail.com
Hey everyone, Good morning. I just wonder... in long ago, I made character select screen for MUGEN.... I am look forward and want know about that... How to make character select screen also include stage select too in Unreal Fighter 2D (Unreal Engine 4). I am still look forward you post video on your youtube.  :)