YesNoOk

PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D Unreal 4 Meets Mugen! Update: 28.07.2018 (Read 244205 times)

Started by Achilleon, December 03, 2015, 06:51:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D (Fighting Game Template for Unreal 4 Engine)
#41  December 05, 2015, 04:39:50 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
the workaround is to convert them before loading; but I found the Rshader method to be easier to handle creation wise, especially because it can be used for paletes with rmoe than 256 colours, though I have not created a workflow for the later.
#42  December 05, 2015, 05:10:32 am
  • What did the 5 fingers say to the face? SMAAACCCK!
Wow! Had to read all the pages to catch up and i really like what you are doing. I already working a bit in Unity3d/2d and getting into  Shiva and Havok engines. UE4 is awesome and i was praying somethin like this would come along for the engine. How you handling the animations system via nodes if i am correct def seems to simplify things quite a lot for me, so hype to take a crack at it when ready! Keep goin hardcore on this and well wishes!
Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:13:49 am by C.R.O.M Lando
#43  December 05, 2015, 05:22:55 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
This looks extremely promising. I have questions but I'll wait a bit. good luck!

@Zaitsu Hatter: Thanks for the heads-up bro!
#44  December 05, 2015, 02:54:33 pm
Wait, what's the problem with palettes? It's not hard to build a palette-applying system with 8-bit PNGs. I did it twice in the past few weeks― once in Javascript and another in PHP. PM me if you want the source to see how applying a .ACT file works. It shouldn't be too hard to build an extension for it in UE. In fact, it's a hell of a lot easier than doing it in JS or PHP.

Hello!

There is no problem with using palettes though. ıt just that Unreal in base, do not have such a system. It can be added? Why not? Unreal is fully source code open anyway.

The main question is, why should you?  The only reason 2d engines use palette system is that, they want to be optimized and limiting you to a sprite per character/creature/whatever-you-want-to-call-everything.

In my Template, you can have many sprites as parts of the character, just like my current Ken Masters is 8. The whole process of seperating the sprites is nothing but a Batching Process in Photoshop. There is nothing you need to afraid. I will make a tutorial about how to separate one sprite into many and do it automaticaly to other similiar ones, but I bet people know it already, and probably would do it better than me. :)

This looks really promising. I know there's going to be more help than you need, but I gladly collaborate with some knowledge if its needed.

That is very correct. I need everything that Mugen can do. So people will eventually tell me what's missing and I will add. For example someone already stated that my material system does not support what SF3's Gill has as "shining", which I am working on to replicate.

To everyone else, thank you for your support once again. I know many will have many questions and the videos show little despite the fact that the behind-work was massive. We will get to a good point in time eventually. :)
#45  December 05, 2015, 06:14:45 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
The main question is, why should you?  The only reason 2d engines use palette system is that, they want to be optimized and limiting you to a sprite per character/creature/whatever-you-want-to-call-everything.

been thre, done that; you want to have palettes.
#46  December 05, 2015, 10:00:39 pm
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
Yeah, seriously, palettes are the best way to handle this sort of thing, and swapping a palette doesn't take that much power.
#47  December 09, 2015, 03:46:39 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
Old game artists could get very creative with sharing palette entries to make it look like a character was more colourful than the hardware supported - without a full set of sprites colour separated by hand you could run into issues trying to split these up and applying a shader to each individually. As well as getting more precise control over hue and brightness for each color in a limited palette (though Lab Zero's method of making Skullgirls and Indivisible prove you can still make alt color schemes regardless with a multi-layer setup)
#48  December 10, 2015, 01:42:20 pm
Old game artists could get very creative with sharing palette entries to make it look like a character was more colourful than the hardware supported - without a full set of sprites colour separated by hand you could run into issues trying to split these up and applying a shader to each individually. As well as getting more precise control over hue and brightness for each color in a limited palette (though Lab Zero's method of making Skullgirls and Indivisible prove you can still make alt color schemes regardless with a multi-layer setup)

I hear you.

I was not really happy with the fact that you can only change the tone of the sprite entirely, so currently I am working on a "almost" palette system.

A fellow Mugen Dev asked if we could do that SF3 Gill Shining effect and I am working on it right now and so far it's looking good.

While trying to do that effect, I was able to get hold of each tone. We still need to separate sprites for better control in Unreal, though if you want to reach each individual tone of a body part, it will be possible. =)

I will soon demonstrate what I mean in a video, and hopefully people who likes to work on palette and have full control of each tone at a sprite will be happy. =)
#49  December 10, 2015, 07:22:22 pm
    • djjosehisterico@gmail.com
Looking forward for new updates!
#50  December 12, 2015, 11:36:24 pm
    • Germany
Achilleon your Fighting Game Template looks realy great so far.

You will be able to change your character's clothing, weapons, hairstyle. You can even change or add abilities depending on what they wear. More on that later though, I need to finish up the Core first.

I have some questions about this, since you are planning to make a system that allows chars to use multiple sprite sets and abilities depending on it, could you add a Code for Special Mimic chars like Shang Tsung or Hagure, that loads the data from the chars they imitate?

If you try something like that in Mugen, you can normaly not make the chars realy accurate to the source without creating a humongous File just for one char, so an extra code for chars like this could be realy great, and would also allow Mimic chars to be compatible with chars who are not from there own game.

Also will it be possible to add rule exceptions for "challenger" and Boss Fights?

What I mean is that you will only fight one challenger or Boss no matter what Mode your chose, even if you choose "Team Mode" or "Tag Team Mode" or even the other way around.
Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:41:44 pm by Lichtbringer
#51  December 13, 2015, 10:21:17 am
A clarification please, continue Unreal 2D Fighter Mugen steps? It´s able to play characters of all thrird parties games? For this way a non-commercial engine is needed, then this is the way of your amazing engine or you may pay for it with a comercial function? I like it too much the first option but... thank you very much for your work and forgive my bad english.
#52  December 13, 2015, 07:16:19 pm
Achilleon your Fighting Game Template looks realy great so far.

Thank you. There isn't alot to show -yet-, but so far it's going well!

I have some questions about this, since you are planning to make a system that allows chars to use multiple sprite sets and abilities depending on it, could you add a Code for Special Mimic chars like Shang Tsung or Hagure, that loads the data from the chars they imitate?

First of all, let me get one thing clear. I am NOT directly adding an unique code that noone can do.

For example, imagine that I never showed that second video, or I never done anything to the stage, no red moon, no storm, clouds etc. Could you do it yourself even if I never shown the way? Ofcourse!

What I am doing is just using what Unreal is offering, which is uncountable. and can't wait to show and learn myself.

About Mimicing characters, it's very possible in Unreal due to a lack of palette system. Ryu can become Ken. Ken can become Gill. Gill can become a pink pony. I will demonstrate that soon-ish.

If you try something like that in Mugen, you can normaly not make the chars realy accurate to the source without creating a humongous File just for one char, so an extra code for chars like this could be realy great, and would also allow Mimic chars to be compatible with chars who are not from there own game.

When I say, I will mimic Mugen, will not mean that we will have it's restrictions. Here is an example,

My Ken currently have a file named "Ability System Ken". Name explains itself already. It's just the ability holder etc.

Now, how to Mimic Ken's Shoryuken with an another character? Here it depends on how good you code your files. If I were you, I would make Shoryuken a file itself, and call for it in Unreal when a character wants to do Shoryuken. So instead of having characters store their abilities, you could create store files that contains character abilities. Viola, your Shoryuken is now reachable character-wide. With this way, you could even let players create their custom characters. Possibilities are endless when you are unchained and that's the whole purpose of this project.

Ofcourse these stuff are "easier said then done" and needs heavy proofs. Though all I would demand is giving me some time and trust. We are at the very early stages right now. Things will go nuts in time.

Also will it be possible to add rule exceptions for "challenger" and Boss Fights?

What I mean is that you will only fight one challenger or Boss no matter what Mode your chose, even if you choose "Team Mode" or "Tag Team Mode" or even the other way around.

You are the ruler, you put the exceptions in there. Who will fight with who in which stage why when and what questions are asked AND answered by only you. Never forget, Stage, is an actor itself in Unreal Engine. It can have his own decisions, properties, AI etc. You tell a stage to spawn Shin Akuma out of no where? You will get Shin Akuma out of nowhere. That's it.

----

Though as I said before, I still need time to get things done. Currently I am focusing on rather basic things. A few developers here said that "The Palette System is a must" and we are getting there slowly. I will show a video in a day or two to demonstrate a few things for our beloved artists. Especially the guy who asked for Gill's glow effect will be extra happy to see it in Unreal as I was successful on that.

We will have one step at a time. For now, the small ones. Non-Mugen features will have to be idle for a not so long moment, and I hope you bear with me. Roar.

A clarification please, continue Unreal 2D Fighter Mugen steps? It´s able to play characters of all thrird parties games? For this way a non-commercial engine is needed, then this is the way of your amazing engine or you may pay for it with a comercial function? I like it too much the first option but... thank you very much for your work and forgive my bad english.

No need for apologizes, I add my share of butchering English here and there. All characters that are made of 2D sprites are currently playable as long as you create them, just like you do in Mugen.

You can sell your game, or you may have it free. Never forget, ripping something (3d model, sprite, does not matter) is always a dangerous act and a violation in many's eyes. But 90% of the companies see it as a "way of getting free advertisement" as long as you don't charge people for it. Some companies dislikes even free stuff though, Hasbro comes to mind.

Your game can have paid transactions etc (those what Unreal have in itself, not something I need to add) if that's also what you mean. ^_^
#53  December 13, 2015, 10:19:24 pm
    • Germany
@Achilleon
Sorry I know nothing about the Unreal engine and coding with it, and I was not sure how much freedom you can and want to add to your Template.

But I'm look forward to your demonstration now.   :)
#54  December 14, 2015, 12:54:10 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
this sounds so amaziing why is mugen such shit  :mcry:

I hate being one of those people but if it ever needs bug testing (not even sure what could go wrong but who knows!) I'm totally available.
#55  December 14, 2015, 10:44:40 am
@Achilleon
Sorry I know nothing about the Unreal engine and coding with it, and I was not sure how much freedom you can and want to add to your Template.

But I'm look forward to your demonstration now.   :)

No need for any apologises Mr Lichtbringer. It's my fault to not be able to show all the things Unreal 4 can offer.. yet!

Oh by the way, about your mimicing character demand, it's actually easier than I thought. Unreal can let you load other file information on live. So you can swap "Ability System Ken" with "Ability System Ryu" rather easily. Doing this to all files would cause Ken to become completely Ryu.

Take it as being able to change character files of Mugen to another char. ^_^

this sounds so amaziing why is mugen such shit  :mcry:

I hate being one of those people but if it ever needs bug testing (not even sure what could go wrong but who knows!) I'm totally available.

Mugen is not bad! It's doing what it needs to do correct, but it's just outdated abit. :) Thanks for the offer, I will need it when things go nuts in due time!
#56  December 14, 2015, 11:34:13 am
Change abilities sounds very interesting but you need similar animations or create new sprites to a better look no? It´s easy change Ken´s hadouken with the Ryu´s one but it´s easy  add to Ken some skills and supers of... for example... Iori? Thank you very much!
#57  December 14, 2015, 12:55:05 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
There's no program that can automatically create new sprites/animations for characters. Unless Achilleon is also programming a super AI as well :p
#58  December 14, 2015, 10:20:52 pm
There's no program that can automatically create new sprites/animations for characters. Unless Achilleon is also programming a super AI as well :p

That is really correct. There isn't any way to make an automatic sprite ofcourse xP If you are going to make a detailed game, you will eventually work hard on it.

Though the new trend seems to be having 3D models acting as if they are 2D with right lightning and rendering. GUILTY GEAR Xrd -SIGN- does that exactly. While playing it looks like they are 2D sprites, but at supers or ending it become obvious that they are actually 3D models. I don't even have to tell  it is doable at Unreal 4 Engine, the game it was done in it. :P

Though what I need is some good voluntary artists for sprite creation myself, so I can demonstrate stuff. That can wait for now though.
#59  December 14, 2015, 11:17:19 pm
  • 海千山千
I'm sure there are a bunch of artists that will jump at that to make a bigger name for themselves, or even get free advertisement for their own commission work nudge nudge wink wink.

And yes, I figured out the method that requires the least amount of talent to create decent sprites and it still a lot of work to get things right.
#60  December 14, 2015, 11:22:30 pm
  • Things to look about.
  • You're too good for her!
    • USA
    • nigelbkny@gmail.com
    • Skype - nega_ridley75
I'm surprised! So this is something to produce more 2D Fighting stuff with how many things around. Ken looks cool in this one. Can't wait to see more!

I hope it's easier to make characters in this or somethin'. With effort put into it, I think this Fighting Game engine might be a nice alternate to M.U.G.E.N