YesNoOk

PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D Unreal 4 Meets Mugen! Update: 28.07.2018 (Read 253973 times)

Started by Achilleon, December 03, 2015, 06:51:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D (Fighting Game Template for Unreal 4 Engine)
#61  December 14, 2015, 11:29:39 pm
  • I laugh at my own jokes 99% of the time
  • Toriyama pretty much ruined me, but I'll be back!
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
I'm sure there are a bunch of artists that will jump at that to make a bigger name for themselves, or even get free advertisement for their own commission work nudge nudge wink wink.

I probably would (if I were any better and had the time), but I agree with this statement.

Don't worry about sprites for now [talking to Achilleon] :)

And yes, I figured out the method that requires the least amount of talent to create decent sprites and it still a lot of work to get things right.

Are you talking about your 3D model method (the one you used for Neku Sakuraba IIRC)? Cuz yeah it still needs work so the output looks perfect. :S
Only way to go is up.

((Twitter) || (Tumblr)
Re: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D (Fighting Game Template for Unreal 4 Engine)
#62  December 15, 2015, 01:18:42 am
  • 海千山千
My scale was too small which was my main problem.
Plus I made major advancements since then, along with improvements on how I actually made the models, so it got a lot easier.

Either way, still need touch ups.
Re: PROJECT: Unreal Fighter 2D (Unreal 4 Engine) UPDATE: 18.12.2015
#63  December 18, 2015, 12:14:43 pm
---------- Update: 18.12.2015 ----------

- New Video: A humble welcome for Mugen Devs. It's not much, but it gives an idea of how things work just a tiny bit! Also shows the new Coloring System!
Color System MK 2: Due to concerns of our fellow Mugen Devs and Artists, additional priority given to have more options and free space for people who rather wants to edit all tones at will. Now you can chose individual tones of the sprite body parts! Fourth Video demonstrates this at 3:30!

----------------------------------------------

Video : Welcome for Mugen Devs / Color System MK 2

---

I'm sure there are a bunch of artists that will jump at that to make a bigger name for themselves, or even get free advertisement for their own commission work nudge nudge wink wink.

And yes, I figured out the method that requires the least amount of talent to create decent sprites and it still a lot of work to get things right.

Thanks for even thinking about it in such a way. Hopefully this template will grow so much that it will be worth everyone's time!

I'm surprised! So this is something to produce more 2D Fighting stuff with how many things around. Ken looks cool in this one. Can't wait to see more!

I hope it's easier to make characters in this or somethin'. With effort put into it, I think this Fighting Game engine might be a nice alternate to M.U.G.E.N

Thanks for kind words! About it being easy, it's all about how complicated things you want them to be. I will have explanations written for every tiny bit of things so it will be hard to get lose, but time and your demands will give the true answer. ^_^

I probably would (if I were any better and had the time), but I agree with this statement.

Don't worry about sprites for now [talking to Achilleon] :)

I appreciate your consideration. Though I do plan to have a small Patreon for this projec,t and the moneny will be spent mostly on artists and mentors to get things done better at the parts where I lack the knowledge.

Hoping the best for the future. ^_^
#64  December 18, 2015, 12:44:05 pm
    • djjosehisterico@gmail.com
Congratulations for all the advances that you have! It looks that the engine have lot´s of things to do, simply amazing!
Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:17:29 pm by GaziraAgain
#65  December 18, 2015, 05:30:11 pm
  • Complicated.cns
    • Argentina
Hi! Saw your PM and watched the full video and wow! That looks damn good! I think that pretty much solves anything related to palette handling.
#66  December 18, 2015, 07:14:37 pm
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
I think I shed a tear. I'm so ready for this thing.
#67  December 18, 2015, 08:08:00 pm
  • I laugh at my own jokes 99% of the time
  • Toriyama pretty much ruined me, but I'll be back!
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
Oh my God, that was captivating. Keep it up good sir. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Only way to go is up.

((Twitter) || (Tumblr)
#68  December 18, 2015, 08:22:16 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
That looks great.
#69  December 18, 2015, 08:36:49 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Really stunning, I love the video!
Jupp. That's cool alright.
#70  December 19, 2015, 12:09:11 am
  • KOF Spriter
* walt cums
#71  December 19, 2015, 12:37:39 am
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/

That's great!
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#72  December 20, 2015, 10:44:36 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
I got your PM, yeah that definitely solves the whole hue shifting issue as far as palette management goes and also bypasses a couple of native limitations from the Mugen engine, good job :)
#73  December 22, 2015, 04:16:57 am
  • 海千山千
Thanks for even thinking about it in such a way. Hopefully this template will grow so much that it will be worth everyone's time!
It was more of an attempt to get everyone else to think in such a way.  It also looks like I got at least one to bite.

As for your video... Excellent work thus far; it certainly makes me equally interested in the UE4 engine as well as your work.
#74  December 22, 2015, 09:57:32 am
I am happy to announce that I was able to achieve True Palette System thanks to help of two engineers and their calculations.

At the moment we don't need to seperate body parts in order to reach the tones. With one simple function we just tell Unreal to fetch the color, and then change it to something else if we want to. Video will be coming in a few days. ^_^

Congratulations for all the advances that you have! It looks that the engine have lot´s of things to do, simply amazing!

Thanks! It's just the tip of the iceberg. There is lots of things to discover below the water. :)

Hi! Saw your PM and watched the full video and wow! That looks damn good! I think that pretty much solves anything related to palette handling.

Thanks! Well it was still unacceptable for me to force you to seperate body parts to different sprites JUST to get the tones, thanks to two other helpful people's work, we were be able to achieve a palette system. It's so easy to grab colors now it's not even funny! o.o

I think I shed a tear. I'm so ready for this thing.

^_^

Oh my God, that was captivating. Keep it up good sir. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks! I am on my way!

That looks great.

* walt cums

nopls.

Really stunning, I love the video!

Cheers!

That's great!

Thanks!
I got your PM, yeah that definitely solves the whole hue shifting issue as far as palette management goes and also bypasses a couple of native limitations from the Mugen engine, good job :)
The whole hue shifting is fixed NOW, as we speak. You will definitely love the new video. ^_^

It was more of an attempt to get everyone else to think in such a way.  It also looks like I got at least one to bite.

As for your video... Excellent work thus far; it certainly makes me equally interested in the UE4 engine as well as your work.

Thank you again. Well, it doesn't hurt to move on to an engine that's getting updated to today's standarts. I just want people who likes fighting games to be able to follow up, that's all. It's not exactly just for Mugen Devs. Literally anyone should be able to do what other big companies are doing! That's the dream in the end!
Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:09:20 am by Achilleon
#75  December 22, 2015, 11:41:55 am
    • djjosehisterico@gmail.com
Thank you very much for the work you are doing. I hope this is the worthy successor of mugen, for now you did it! Only some little questions please... What file format you used to create characters? (.sff, .cns, etc in mugen). They´re more compressed? Any posibility to convert mugen archives to your new engine or it´s something impossible for the different programming languages that they used? Thank you very much and go for the best fighter engine we´ve seen.
#76  December 22, 2015, 11:45:53 am
  • 2 edjy 4 u
  • spriting drains the soul
    • USA
i dont think this is supposed to replace mugen, nor is it supposed to be a successor.

dude, why do you keep on asking if every single mugen file is compatible with this? he already said .sff's are not directly compatible and im pretty sure .cns files are not either. its a COMPLETELY different engine, let the dude do what he wants.

anywho, is it possible to mix in 2D effects that are rendered on a 3D plane ala Under-Night In-Birth?
#77  December 22, 2015, 01:00:18 pm
  • Dance the night away!
    • Australia
I love the look of this project so far! :D

the fact that there's a system that allows you to change the stages look via a characters action is a dream come true for me and i cant wait to see what people do with this engine when its released
#78  December 22, 2015, 11:36:18 pm
Thank you very much for the work you are doing. I hope this is the worthy successor of mugen, for now you did it! Only some little questions please... What file format you used to create characters? (.sff, .cns, etc in mugen). They´re more compressed? Any posibility to convert mugen archives to your new engine or it´s something impossible for the different programming languages that they used? Thank you very much and go for the best fighter engine we´ve seen.

There is no direct rule for creating files. The template is %99.5 open source. At the moment I created files for each system, make it sfx, vfs, collision, ability, animation, movement etc. Soon I will munch afew together because they are not that big. The way your files are planned are completely up to you. You can either create a file that stores literally everything, or you can separate them if you so desire.

In the end, Unreal 4 Engine got no relation to mugen, or how it handles files. You can not transfer anything from mugen. There is just no need of doing it, and it's just not possible. For example, how the attack system works is completely different from how mugen does.

Another example would be how sprite animations are stored in Unreal. Every animation is a seperate file that any actor in Unreal can reach in gameplay. This is officialy what makes "turning a character into another" the easiest thing possible. :P

i dont think this is supposed to replace mugen, nor is it supposed to be a successor.

dude, why do you keep on asking if every single mugen file is compatible with this? he already said .sff's are not directly compatible and im pretty sure .cns files are not either. its a COMPLETELY different engine, let the dude do what he wants.

anywho, is it possible to mix in 2D effects that are rendered on a 3D plane ala Under-Night In-Birth?

As you said, this is not supposed to replace Mugen. I never had such an intention. Though the main problem mugen faces is (rather any other 2d fighting engine really) that they are not being updated constantly and they are not full source for you to edit them. Whatever mugen and alike engine does is, they are doing what they are meant to do. They are simple, easy to learn. They got automatic actions ready for you in game etc.

Mine on the other hand is, Unreal 4 itself. It can be hard to get into as it's a massive engine. It's not exactly a newbie friendly step to get into. No matter what I do, Unreal will always be a big step, maybe way too far for the first time. Though what it does in return is rewarding you for your hard work.

About your question, that is possible. The rendering in Unreal is always 3d. For example the stage I have behind is just a sprite that is 100 cm away from characters in Y axis. You can have stage 3d, characters as 3d, particle effects as 3d, or have them 2d all the way. ^_^

Soon I will show everything in 3d. It's just a low priority thing as it's already possible. :P

I love the look of this project so far! :D

the fact that there's a system that allows you to change the stages look via a characters action is a dream come true for me and i cant wait to see what people do with this engine when its released

Thanks! You can have it the other way around too, telling stage to change characters. :P The things I have tested so far are so funny. ^_^ Hope to show more, after the palette system video. ^^
Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:39:42 pm by Achilleon
#79  December 23, 2015, 07:23:28 am
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
You mention this not being so beginner friendly since its still UE4 (and naturally so). Would you recommend anything for someone to kinda learn enough quickly/effectively?
#80  December 24, 2015, 01:09:04 pm
You mention this not being so beginner friendly since its still UE4 (and naturally so). Would you recommend anything for someone to kinda learn enough quickly/effectively?

The Template itself is not beginner friendly because at the same time you need to learn Unreal if you didn't do so before. You could take it as trying understand what a very complicated character in Mugen does, instead of checking Kungfuman.

What I can suggest is, just grab Unreal 4, it's free after all. Check their own video tutorials etc. Everyone starts with making a rotating door. There is like 10 ways of doing it. xP

Before I started this project, I worked on many stuff that were not related to this project. You can do the same in your free time. When I started there wasn't enough tutorials, now there is tones. Plus, considering your questions will be simple, you will get quick responses at Answerhub or Unreal forums.

So I suggest taking the first step yourself before waiting for this project. ^^