YesNoOk

Battle of Gods: Organized Religion Discussion (Read 28903 times)

Started by Chronan, November 14, 2017, 11:11:59 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Battle of Gods: Organized Religion Discussion
#181  November 18, 2017, 12:01:44 am
@ Byakko - It wasn't until the 80s that the whole born gay thing took off. It was a simple move to counter the church. Even Milo said it's a choice. And that guy is flaming.

IT ALL COMES FULL CIRCLE

Incorrect. There's a whole load of difference between being 'born this way' and it being a choice, and Milo's argument is more nuanced than 'it's 100% a choice.' Sexuality is complicated and a lot of factors go into it. It's a combination of things, some of those things happen to you in the womb, some of those things happen to you as you grow up.

You can't suddenly choose not to be gay, but you also aren't predetermined to be gay or straight as an infant.
#182  November 18, 2017, 12:21:57 am
80% or so of the gay population have an STD. 55% have HIV. 82% have syphilis and 37% have anal cancer. That's crazy. Not trying to get off topic. Just had to stress that point.
holy shit the math on those statistics is pure retardation.
80% of gays have stds, but 174% (55+82+37) of them have stds too? what the fuck? shove your IQ down your ass you moron.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#183  November 18, 2017, 12:25:44 am
80% of gays have stds, but 174% (55+82+37) of them have stds too?
Hum, that's not how percentages work.
Some of them have one, two, three or more.
But don't worry, what he said wasn't how percentages work either, the link he gave shows percentages of people who NEWLY contracted those STDs, not a percentage of the entire gay population, which is not given anywhere - and definitely not a known number in the country anyway. That's also why the number for syphilis is higher than the full number he gives for the whole gay population (which is an instant giveaway that he doesn't understand these stats).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:30:03 am by Byakko
#184  November 18, 2017, 12:34:10 am
what i meant was that the total of the 80% who have stds doesn't add up to a 100% of them but to a 174%.
he didn't even mention if there are a percentage who has more than one std.
tl:dr: out of the 80% there is a 174% of people who have stds is what he seems to be implying.
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#185  November 18, 2017, 12:37:06 am
You're not supposed to add the 55, 37, and 82. He claimed that 80% of the gay population has an STD, that 55% of the gay population has HIV etc. but these numbers can overlap, there's no indication that it does or doesn't.
If the 37 that have anal cancer all also have HIV, you don't add 37 to 55, it's still 55% that have at least one. 37 have both, and the remaining 18 have only HIV. And then at least 27 more % have one other STD, and maybe the first 55 also have that one on top of those new 27%.
(those numbers are still wrong)
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:48:12 am by Byakko
#186  November 18, 2017, 12:40:24 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
Either way, it's still a gross exaggerated percentage to place on the entire gay population.
#187  November 18, 2017, 12:43:10 am
Yeah, the CDC site explicitly says it's the percentage of gay people among the newly infected people in that period, not the percentage of the entire gay population (which is, again, not a known number anyway). It's literally the first full sentence on the page.
#188  November 18, 2017, 12:51:00 am
  • Idea!
    • USA
But, it truly is quite a large number of folks not being careful in willing sexual encounters.  Sexual education is vital to our development and should be taught, but not to elementary students.  I think middle schoolers would be better, since that's when kids start to transition through puberty.  High school is much too late.

Hopefully that'll reduce the number of STI transmissions.
#189  November 18, 2017, 04:44:26 am
can we talk about how retarded it is that knowingly infecting people with HIV is no longer a felony in california

because i'm still mindblown over that
#190  November 18, 2017, 05:52:29 am
what i meant was that the total of the 80% who have stds doesn't add up to a 100% of them but to a 174%.
he didn't even mention if there are a percentage who has more than one std.
tl:dr: out of the 80% there is a 174% of people who have stds is what he seems to be implying.
this is embarrassing to read
Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:57:38 am by Titiln
#191  November 18, 2017, 06:12:05 am
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
can we talk about how retarded it is that knowingly infecting people with HIV is no longer a felony in california

because i'm still mindblown over that

REALLY? That's so messed up on so many levels.
#192  November 18, 2017, 06:25:57 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
It's still a misdemeanor, though; it's not like there are no consequences to doing it. It's just been knocked down from a felony, cuz intentionally exposing someone else to any other disease is a misdemeanor in California. The reasoning behind the change (besides trying to remove the stigma of HIV compared to any other infectious disease) was the old law could've discouraged people from getting tested, cuz you can't knowingly transmit HIV if you don't know for sure you have it.

But uh, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with religion?
#193  November 22, 2017, 04:00:48 am
    • USA
    • twitter.com/inktrebuchet
Did you guys know for 50 something years people thought there was another planet between Mercury and the Sun? It was called Vulcan and science proved it doesn’t exist. It was originally thought to exist because it helped explain something that was unexplainable at the time and many people just took it as fact, even though there wasn’t much proof and couldn’t actually be observed. I love science.

Though I do enjoy stories about rainbows existing as a promise a God won’t destroy our world with a flood, again; people being brought back from the dead after days have passed; floating Cities; dragons; afterlives; evil giants; animal sacrifice; drinking blood, eating body; stronger guy with long hair; burning bushes that talk; flying horse like creature; and how we got different languages.

Who doesn’t like a good story?

If the Christian Bible is true though I have a big concern... in Revelation chapters 21 and 22 it talks about the size of heaven and it looks like there isn’t much room! Probably already filled up for real...

Does  heaven always have construction going on to make room for the growing population? I always hate driving through construction in my city.
Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:16:38 am by ink
#194  November 22, 2017, 04:31:28 am
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
What the fuck does any of that have to do with teapots?
#195  November 22, 2017, 05:03:19 am
    • USA
That science may one day prove that the teapot doesn’t exit. Or does.

A little off topic but also a concern about a plot hole, if anyone else here is reading the same book.
Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:11:31 am by ink
#196  November 22, 2017, 11:02:30 am
  • all is love in fair and war
each soul is only 21grams of data of course it would fit.
#197  November 22, 2017, 02:07:32 pm
    • USA
But around 55300000 people die a year, 1/3 of them being Christians. That’s been going on for at least 2700 years.(oldest Biblical text)

I mean, even if the soul was 21grams that adds up pretty quick!

#198  November 22, 2017, 02:33:03 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Nah, just take a look in the thread. There was only 1 true Christian. The amount of true christians is probably very very small!
#199  November 22, 2017, 02:46:56 pm
    • USA
You’re probably right.

Another quick concern, The Oldest Biblical text is only 2700 years old.. but modern humans have been around for 200,000 years. 6 million years if you include early ancestors. So did everyone before the Biblical text just go straight to hell!?

This might just be me but wouldn’t it make more sense to practice the oldest known religion, if you’re going to practice one?
#200  November 22, 2017, 06:26:39 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
^ The only thIng more insufferable than an overly religious person is a smug, self- righteous atheist.