YesNoOk

Big Bad Baby Bowser (Read 12048 times)

Started by Red Lunchbox, September 28, 2012, 09:44:06 pm
Share this topic:
Big Bad Baby Bowser
#1  September 28, 2012, 09:44:06 pm
    • USA
    • reddlunchbox.tumblr.com/mugen/

(Note: The screenshot is outdated, and the color issue has since been fixed.)

This is something I've been working on for a while. It's a boss character based off of the final boss of Yoshi's Island. I wanted to create the final fight as much as possible, while at the same making changes so that it fits better as a fighting game character.

What's The Same?
-You fight him with projectiles. The character has a fullscreen ReversalDef that picks up projectiles and sends them into the background to deal damage to Bowser.
-The stage is built into the character.
-The intro and death states are made to resemble Yoshi's Island. Right now, I'm thinking of making two timing options for the intro that can be set via a .cfg file: Option A has it sync with the final boss theme from Yoshi's Island, and Option B has progress a lot faster and not drag on nearly as much.
-Much like the game, he approaches the player from the background, and can be hit back by.. well.. hitting him. If he gets too close, the floor collaspses and the character falls to its death.
-He has his fireball and rock attacks from Yoshi's Island, although the latter functions a bit differently.

What's New or Different?
-Several new attacks, of which I'll go into detail later.
-Rocks do fall, but they do not destroy the stage like in Yoshi's Island. Given the larger size of most characters and how they don't play like Yoshi in Yoshi's Island, it ended up being more of a nuance. Instead, they just hit the character for damage,
-Since only projectiles can damage him, an issue arose where characters who didn't have many projectiles wouldn't be able to deal enough damage to him to be able to win anything. So if the AI detects that you haven't been using many projectiles, it'll start summoning strikers that you can beat up.
Do enough damage, and they'll be knocked into the background. This will hurt Bowser the same way a projectile would.
(Note: Yes, a character such as Ryu who has a reliable projectile can 'cheat' the computer into thinking it's a character without projectiles by not using his hadoken. It tried to balance the striker method so that didn't provide much of an advantage in order minimize any incentive to purposely not use projectiles)
Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:10:35 am by a Lunchbox
Re: Giant Baby Bowser (Yoshi's Island Boss)
#2  September 28, 2012, 09:48:26 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
WOW!!

This looks very promising.  :thumbsup:
#3  September 28, 2012, 09:55:35 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
WOW! This is looking nice dude!

-You fight him with projectiles. The character has a fullscreen ReversalDef that picks up projectiles and sends them into the background to deal damage to Bowser.
What if I use a character without any projectiles? Am I instantly screwed?

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
#4  September 28, 2012, 10:01:03 pm
    • USA
Not necessarily.

-Since only projectiles can damage him, an issue arose where characters who didn't have many projectiles wouldn't be able to deal enough damage to him to be able to win anything. So if the AI detects that you haven't been using many projectiles, it'll start summoning strikers that you can beat up.

[image]

Do enough damage, and they'll be knocked into the background. This will hurt Bowser the same way a projectile would.

(Note: Yes, a character such as Ryu who has a reliable projectile can 'cheat' the computer into thinking it's a character without projectiles by not using his hadoken. It tried to balance the striker method so that didn't provide much of an advantage in order minimize any incentive to purposely not use projectiles)
#5  September 28, 2012, 10:02:18 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
Oops, I guess I missed that part.  :gonkgoi:

Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:19:00 pm by Markpachi
#6  September 28, 2012, 10:03:42 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
I guess you missed the part that this a project too... No download available...
#7  September 28, 2012, 10:18:49 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
Yeah, I forgot to edit my post. Oops again. :jester:

#8  October 01, 2012, 12:18:06 am
    • USA
Since I have the time, I may as well talk about what exactly's being worked on here.

The Attacks

I wanted all of Bower's origonal moves to have sort of the same feel as his original boss fight. He came out huge, having this sort of ominous power to suddenly levitate rocks, probably thanks to Kamek's magic.

So all of his new moves involve him manipulating the crumbling environment around him. Right now, the thunderstorm summon and his rock attack from the original game are the only ones coded.

Gameplay wise, I got a bit of inspiration from the wild, somewhat innacruate, and what I found personally unreliable PSI/PK Thunder from Earthbound/Mother 3. It strikes randomly around the field, but has a greater chance of striking airborne players.

The rock move, on the other hand, behaves differently from Yoshi's Island as mentioned earlier. Instead of taking out chunks of the stage, they simply fall from the sky and damage the character if they don't get out of the way.

So what else is being worked on?
-The projectile-reversal system is still being worked on. Bugs aside, it's now functional in the sense that it's capable of telling when a projectile 'hits' the vicinity of Bowser and when it misses. I'm aiming to have the Target state to feel as normal and as much like it's actually part of the move as possible.

-More minion strikers. Right now, the only one coded is a measly Koopa Troopa that walks across the stage, which doesn't exactly make for a fun boss fight for characters without projectiles. I want to try and keep them from Yoshi's Island enemies as much as possible.

Posted: October 04, 2012, 09:40:37 pm
Another Note: Bugs that are either unavoidable or out of the character's control.

-If your projectile goes into a different state or destroys itself on its own if it gets reversed, the projectile system. The only way I know of to fix this is to hard code a fix into the character's projectiles.

-When being sent back, projectiles with animations that aren't meant to loop (such as those that destroyself or otherwise disappear at !animtime) will loop.

-The character is unable to tell which projectiles will look good being thrown into the background.

That being said, I should have a small demo video up soon, so that the character can be seen in action. In my opinion, still screenshots simply do not do it justice.
Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:40:59 pm by a Lunchbox
Re: Big Bad Baby Bowser (Demo Video)
#9  October 08, 2012, 02:41:08 am
    • USA
Here, have an awful video.

My soundcard's terrible, so there's no sound, and the recording device I used because I'm too lazy to record a new one isn't that great either. But that's not the point of this.

The point is that it's a quick video of Bowser in action.
Re: Big Bad Baby Bowser
#10  October 11, 2012, 09:56:15 pm
    • USA
Quick Update:

He's at the point where he pretty much has everything from Yoshi's Island, now it's just time to really make him into a fighting game boss.

The first minion is being worked on now, it's Lakitu.

The Koopa Troopa from the batch of screenshots has been scrapped, It just didn't work. Lakitu's sprites from Yoshi's Island (and the concept of his attacks) allows for a much wider range of possibility than.

So plans and notes for Lakitu right now:

• When the AI notices your character hasn't been using projectiles for a while, it'll summon Lakitu to show up as an alternate way to hit Bowser.
  • Lakitu floats around above you and throws things at you.
  • You'll either be able to hit things back at Lakitu or back at Bowser. I'll be working on deciding which as he progresses.
  • To keep with Bowser's destructive, reckless nature, Lakitu can be knocked out by any of Bowser's own attacks if they come into contact.

Note that this isn't going to be the only minion: More are currently planned. I'll lave screenshots later.
Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 03:52:04 am by a Lunchbox
Re: Big Bad Baby Bowser (Progress)
#11  October 18, 2012, 03:52:11 am
    • USA

Lakitu's coming along well, right now, my plan is to have him be able to throw a multitude of objects, each with their own purpose.

Right now, the one currently being coded is a small, fast, red spiney that's rather difficult to hit back, it's more of an actual attack for Lakitu than a method for hitting Bowser.

(Yes, the hitspark alignment is on the to-do list)

One other note:

The character's official release will come with a stage of Baby Bowser's room. The stage itself won't be anything particularly special, since Bowser replaces the background anyways. However, playing on this stage will have Bowser's intro slow down so that it syncs up with his theme from the game.
#12  October 18, 2012, 03:54:23 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Wouldn't the Koopas just go from left/right and vice versa?
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#13  October 18, 2012, 04:10:17 am
    • USA
Yeah, they would, and that's precisely why I replaced them with Lakitu. You couldn't really do much with them aside from having them walk from left/right. Not to mention he just ended up being more of a nuisance. Since Lakitu's sprites, and the fact that he attacks by throwing things, allows me more room and allows more possibilities to make a more dynamic helper than one that just walks across the stage.
#14  October 18, 2012, 04:22:56 am
  • tired
I just think you'll need some lowly minions to help contrast the "elite" (by comparison) Lakitu. It helps give him a variety of helpers and keeps the monotony away.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#15  October 18, 2012, 04:33:37 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
That sounds a little over the top IMO.
Koopas biting at your ankles while your facing the other way and Lakitu is still wizing around throwing stuff at you...

I think it would be just find if Lakitu simply threw projectiles while moving around rapidly without "minions".
Of course, he could switch it up later by throwing different types of shells, minions, Koopas, etc. as the fight drags closer towards the end though.
#16  October 18, 2012, 04:36:41 am
  • tired
Why do you ruin my elaborate fantasies at every turn? But yeah, you raise a good point. Perhaps Lakitu could be present throughout the battle? He could be the main source of not-Bowser attacks.
#17  October 18, 2012, 04:38:57 am
  • The Only Easy Day was Yesterday
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/truemicah
#18  October 18, 2012, 04:47:29 am
  • tired
Because I C.A.N

You added one period too many, fixed. Also: that pun is so hilariously bad it's hilarious. I'll need to try that out. Maybe throw it in my sig?

Posted: October 18, 2012, 04:57:44 am
Or maybe a custom title if I ever get one? (How do I get one of those, anyways?)
#19  October 18, 2012, 08:43:24 pm
    • USA
That sounds a little over the top IMO.
Koopas biting at your ankles while your facing the other way and Lakitu is still wizing around throwing stuff at you...

I think it would be just find if Lakitu simply threw projectiles while moving around rapidly without "minions".
Of course, he could switch it up later by throwing different types of shells, minions, Koopas, etc. as the fight drags closer towards the end though.

Why do you ruin my elaborate fantasies at every turn? But yeah, you raise a good point. Perhaps Lakitu could be present throughout the battle? He could be the main source of not-Bowser attacks.

I'll definitely look into that as a possibility. My intentions were for there to only be one helper on the screen at a time, but just having Lakitu around could work.