YesNoOk

Dragon Tank by Balthazar and THE_NONE?! (oh and I guess me too... a little) (Read 14186 times)

Started by Jango, April 01, 2014, 09:35:48 am
Share this topic:
Dragon Tank by Balthazar and THE_NONE?! (oh and I guess me too... a little)
#1  April 01, 2014, 09:35:48 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Dragon Tank by Balthazar and Jango!

If you were wondering what the hell was taking me so long to make Pupa, my first reason is that I procrastinate like a motherfucker, but my SECOND reason is that I've been working on this big dude on and off.

You may have noticed Balthazar has been doing a lot of boss-type MUGEN characters with a variety of creators. I am pleased to announce that I am one of his lucky collaborators! Since we already did Gato Z2, we're back to bring you another boss from Chrono Trigger: Dragon Tank!

If you've never played Chrono Trigger before, Dragon Tank is a boss you fight early on in the game (not as early on as Gato), and is probably one of the cooler fights in the game in my opinion. What made the fight really interesting was that the tank had three attackable areas: the head, the body, and the wheel. You only needed to destroy the body to win the fight, but destroying the other components added their own benefits/challenges. For example, if you destroyed the wheel first, you'd remove the ramming attacks but they'd get replaced with laser beams! The goal is to bring some of this spirit over to this MUGEN incarnation, as well as some surprises as well.

NOW FOR THE TECHNICAL STUFF
  • I am shooting to have Dragon Tank work on its own stage. This will give me some more freedom in regards to what the tank can/can't do, and I don't have to worry about shenanigans like dudes trying to super-jump on top of it. If there are any dudes who want to create a stage, contact me and we can work something out!
  • If this doesn't happen, though, I have a few failsafes in mind to code in to make EXTRA SURE nothing foul happens.
  • As the tank is currently coded right now, both the head AND the wheel have to be destroyed before you can attack the body (I call this the Starfox 64 approach). I might change it around so that the body can be hit as well, but there's something really weird about hitting the wheel and the body at the same time to me.
  • No that's not my Jimmy in the screenshot.
Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:54:06 pm by Jango Hakamichi
Re: Jimmy Lewis (Rage of the Dragons)
#2  April 01, 2014, 10:45:55 am
    • Netherlands
    • network.mugenguild.com/balthazar/index.html
You got me worried for a second, there :P
Actually, good 'ole Jango commissioned me for the Dragon Tank sprites, which I was all too happy to do!
The project was conceived around the same time I started with the Quickman/FireQuacker projects. But it's been kept secret all that time! Let me share some more stuff with youz:

Visable progressive damage to head and body!
No damage on the side/rear because, like Jango mentioned, people are prevented to superjump over the thing.
Show us your support! All hail the mighty Dragon Tank!
Re: Dragon Tank by Balthazar and Jango
#3  April 01, 2014, 02:55:01 pm
  • Anything goes when you got a neat promotion!
    • j.morphman@aol.com
Chrono trigger, a true classic.Remember to get your favorite games from Nintendo virtualshop.
#4  April 01, 2014, 04:18:09 pm
Wow man that's excellent! Chrono Trigger is a legendary game. Balthazar surprises once again. I have nothing to say about it's technical stuff, style and graphics there. It all sounds good and wish you guys luck with it.
#5  April 01, 2014, 06:14:08 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
one word awesome
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#6  April 01, 2014, 07:17:03 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
SO F***ING AMAZING!
#7  April 01, 2014, 07:32:44 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Looking really good here. Can't wait to see this animated and play against it. :)
#8  April 02, 2014, 09:29:06 pm
I got a question for you Balthazar. You know that both Dragonball Z and Chrono Trigger are Akira Toriyama's work. You have also been doing lot's of Z2 creations with Dragonball Z. What I want to ask is if this boss character will have any surprises from Dragonball Z that is a reference to Akira Toriyama. Something like a Shenron pallete and/or a move that is a Red Ribbon Army inspiration.
#9  April 02, 2014, 09:41:41 pm
    • Netherlands
Are you asking me to list any suprises I might have? But...that'd ruin the suprise!
#10  April 03, 2014, 03:51:05 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
I got a question for you Balthazar. You know that both Dragonball Z and Chrono Trigger are Akira Toriyama's work. You have also been doing lot's of Z2 creations with Dragonball Z. What I want to ask is if this boss character will have any surprises from Dragonball Z that is a reference to Akira Toriyama. Something like a Shenron pallete and/or a move that is a Red Ribbon Army inspiration.

Might as well mix some Dr. Slump and Dragon Quest while we're at it.

(Though I'm joking, I wouldn't mind it at all)
#11  April 03, 2014, 03:54:03 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
For those of you who were wondering what the April Fool's joke was, it was mostly me pranking Balthazar into thinking that I quit working on him. I was also doing my running gag of pretending to be making Jimmy from ROTD but that bombed pretty quick.

As far as surprises go, there are a few planned in mind, but they'll probably be easter eggs triggered under very rare conditions (unrelated: This is reminding me that I should really finish Gato's alt modes).

So at the moment, the head cannot heal damage like in the game because under the current setup, it would pretty much be limited to healing the wheel and IMO a boss that is constantly healing itself would get really annoying really fast. My PR storyline excuse is that this a prototype of the Dragon Tank that will later fight Crono and Lucca, so they didn't add that yet. Any arguments?
#12  April 03, 2014, 03:59:44 am
  • Born From the 93's
    • Puerto Rico
    • http://mrpr1993.deviantart.com/
Sounds like a great idea!
CURRENT PROJECTS:
-Characters: Vera Trappz (OC)
-Stages: Springfield Town Square (Update)

IDEAS I HAVE:
-Characters: Mona-Lisa (OC), Danny Phantom, Betty Boop, Kim Possible, Aladdin, Oggy, NEW! Cartoon Guy
-Stages: Toon World (Cartoon Guy), End Of The World
#13  April 03, 2014, 09:04:57 am
Are you asking me to list any suprises I might have? But...that'd ruin the suprise!

No I'm not asking to list any surprises. Was just asking if anything a-like was planned as a surprise.

As far as surprises go, there are a few planned in mind, but they'll probably be easter eggs triggered under very rare conditions (unrelated: This is reminding me that I should really finish Gato's alt modes).

That sounds good man. I am excited to see them revealed when time arrives.

#14  June 30, 2014, 07:35:36 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Oh hey I'm still working on this!

Sorry for the lack of updates here, been doing my usual deadly combo of procrastination/socializing/competitive Pokemon. Not to mention I'm still trying to get a decent looking website up so that y'all can actually play with stuff including Pupa who's pretty much finished.

But today, I got some drive to work on this, so tonight, I will commence HIDDEN MISSILES

Expect this post to be ammended as I get more work done on it.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:40:25 am by Jango Pyrope
#15  June 30, 2014, 10:53:03 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Man that is a slow moving missile

Featuring PalFX that I shamelessly stole from LegatoB (who shamelessly stole them from Sander). These missiles are entirely unblockable. Who do you think you are? You think you can just block a bomb in real life???

So at this point, you're probably thinking, "Hey, those missiles aren't that big, I'll just step to the side and avoid them!"

Nope. While the damage won't be as big as if you got hit by them, you will still take some damage if you get caught in the explosion radius.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#16  June 30, 2014, 11:07:18 am
    • Netherlands
Missiles should be fun :)
What is the status on his neck movement though? I think that's the main thing that made you go 'fuck it!' on this, right? With all those seperate parts and needing a snake-like movement and keep aligned at all times and whatnot.
#17  June 30, 2014, 11:14:18 am
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
* Jango Pyrope just stares blankly into his monitor, a deadened expression on his face.

j/k haven't gotten to that yet (I'm probably going to work on that once I finish the main moves). Thankfully I've figured out how to make the body and components interact with each other a bit more easily, so at least I don't have to worry about that part of it. The main difficulty is going to be coding the animations and positions for each neck joint :dizzy2:
#18  June 30, 2014, 11:23:03 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Already described how to do that for you. It's simple enough.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#19  June 30, 2014, 12:16:27 pm
  • Double-Crosser
    • USA
Yeah, I know how to do it, it's just the act of actually doing it!
#20  June 30, 2014, 12:21:02 pm
  • [The Destroyer]
  • College Life is Killing Me
    • USA
    • Skype - wattawright
    • mugencoder.com/authors/view/watta
THATS IT. I'm going to go get Chrono Trigger for my tab right now.