YesNoOk

Link updated! (9/2/2013) (Read 11216 times)

Started by ThatIdahoGuy, August 28, 2013, 04:27:12 am
Share this topic:
Link updated! (9/2/2013)
#1  August 28, 2013, 04:27:12 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
    • http://mugencoder.com/authors/view/napoleonjonamite
Though I may have some more things to do/add to him, I am proud to say that my first non-Sailor Moon character, the Hero of Time has been released to the public!

Using the original spriteset from AxKing, a few edits from KBN, and the same gameplay format that I have used for each of the Sailor Moon characters, Link is ready to charge into the fray.

Download him here: http://napoleonjonamite.webs.com

What's left:
-----------------------------
-Aerial projectile (Bomb)
-Color separation
-Brawl voices (For alt. snd file)
-Any bug fixes
"Hey, your beard's so dumb, it sits on the TV and watches the couch. Haha! That's a good one, Jack!" -Si Robertson
Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:05:19 am by ThatIdahoGuy
Re: Link released! (8/27/2013)
#2  August 28, 2013, 08:32:55 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Overall, from a quick play, the system and all feel solid, everything is well aligned, etc. Good job. :)

- I don't like the command mapping you gave him. Just an idea, but this is what I'd change :
   + Change Arrow to qcf+P : think of it as Hadouken
   + change Megaton Hammer to dp+P, think of it as an anti-air or something like Terry's Power Dunk.
   + change Shield Dash to qcb+P, such as Terry's move.
- Ice Arrow makes a copy of SSJ Goku Z2 appear for a few ticks. o_O
- You should say in the readme you have to hold the button to perform the arrows.
- Missing elemental hitsounds on these.
- For the dizzy state, a little dizzy sound would be nice too.
- Would be nice to randomize the hitspark position a little on Boomerang super, to make it look less static.
- Same goes for Arrows and Bomb. On moves where many hitsparks are displayed really fast at the same position, it's good to randomize them a little.
- Missing explosion sound on Arrows and Bomb.
- Would be cool to be able to control Link a little bit with B/F during Spin Attack.
- Not fan of the transparent Triforce FX, clashes a little with the rest of the FX IMO.
- The landing sound is really low.
#3  August 28, 2013, 09:44:17 am
Love that some of Ax's stuff got halfway decent treatment.

Downloading now, just wanted to let you know I appreciate it first.
#4  August 28, 2013, 10:50:31 am
    • Argentina
    • sutcliffsouji.wix.com/cp-chazzanova
#5  August 28, 2013, 12:38:36 pm
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
* His Standing LK, Crouching MP, Standing MK, Crouching MK and Standing HP whiff against a point-blank KFM or equally thin chars.

* 280-300 damage for his LV1 supers is too much, particularly considering that the most damageful ones are the projectile-based supers (which are easier to land on the opponent). The most damageful supers should be the more risky and vulnerable ones. Also, tone down the damage of his LV1s to around 220-250.

* All of his crouching punches and his Crouching LK have the same use in battle. You can easily scrap one of them and change his Launcher to a less awkward command ( down + HP ) like the MVC series (excluding MvC2) do.

* Standing HP has too much frame advantage on hit. You can easily repeat the combo [LP > HP] 5 times in a row if you hold forward so that he takes half step forward between each chain combo.

* Standing LP and LK cause much less pushback than the Crouching versions of them.

* Mortal-Kombat styled chars can't block a point-range Triforce Slash because superpauses in Mugen force them to recover the ability to block 1 frame later than traditional chars, whom defend by holding backwards in the controller instead of blocking with a button. Change the time and movetime lines in the superpause of his state 3100 to 34 instead of 35.

* Why is his Triforce Slash attribute listed as (A, HT) Aerial Hyper Throw instead of (S, HA) Standing Hyper Attack? Particularly considering that the move can be blocked.
#6  August 28, 2013, 05:13:29 pm
  • Hey!
    • USA
Wow, some really good feedback here.

Overall, from a quick play, the system and all feel solid, everything is well aligned, etc. Good job. :)

- I don't like the command mapping you gave him. Just an idea, but this is what I'd change :
   + Change Arrow to qcf+P : think of it as Hadouken
   + change Megaton Hammer to dp+P, think of it as an anti-air or something like Terry's Power Dunk.
   + change Shield Dash to qcb+P, such as Terry's move.
- Ice Arrow makes a copy of SSJ Goku Z2 appear for a few ticks. o_O
- You should say in the readme you have to hold the button to perform the arrows.
- Missing elemental hitsounds on these.
- For the dizzy state, a little dizzy sound would be nice too.
- Would be nice to randomize the hitspark position a little on Boomerang super, to make it look less static.
- Same goes for Arrows and Bomb. On moves where many hitsparks are displayed really fast at the same position, it's good to randomize them a little.
- Missing explosion sound on Arrows and Bomb.
- Would be cool to be able to control Link a little bit with B/F during Spin Attack.
- Not fan of the transparent Triforce FX, clashes a little with the rest of the FX IMO.
- The landing sound is really low.
-I'll consider the remap. Users of the current version will have to relearn, but it's a small price to pay.
-It was supposed to activate an ice explod I added to him, and for some reason it either does nothing or it created a clone of the opponent.
-I thought I did say you needed to hold down the buttons to perform the elemental arrows.
-I'll need to do some digging on that. Will fix.
-I'll see what I can do there. But to clarify, do you mean on Link himself, or as a sound that comes up when the opponent is hit?
-I'm going to be reworking the boomerang a bit, but I'll look into the hitspark location thing.
-I'm planning on moving up and down some of the arrows in that hyper (See Jupiter's Oak Evolution or Mercury's Aqua Rhapsody)
-Again, will be doing some digging for a good explosion sound.
-Was worried about adding movement controls to the spin out of fear of messing up the combo damage because of it.
-Keeping the Triforce FX solid would have negatively impacted the aesthetic of the move.
-Same landing sound as used on my Sailors, though I will consider changing the sound.

* His Standing LK, Crouching MP, Standing MK, Crouching MK and Standing HP whiff against a point-blank KFM or equally thin chars.

* 280-300 damage for his LV1 supers is too much, particularly considering that the most damageful ones are the projectile-based supers (which are easier to land on the opponent). The most damageful supers should be the more risky and vulnerable ones. Also, tone down the damage of his LV1s to around 220-250.

* All of his crouching punches and his Crouching LK have the same use in battle. You can easily scrap one of them and change his Launcher to a less awkward command ( down + HP ) like the MVC series (excluding MvC2) do.

* Standing HP has too much frame advantage on hit. You can easily repeat the combo [LP > HP] 5 times in a row if you hold forward so that he takes half step forward between each chain combo.

* Standing LP and LK cause much less pushback than the Crouching versions of them.

* Mortal-Kombat styled chars can't block a point-range Triforce Slash because superpauses in Mugen force them to recover the ability to block 1 frame later than traditional chars, whom defend by holding backwards in the controller instead of blocking with a button. Change the time and movetime lines in the superpause of his state 3100 to 34 instead of 35.

* Why is his Triforce Slash attribute listed as (A, HT) Aerial Hyper Throw instead of (S, HA) Standing Hyper Attack? Particularly considering that the move can be blocked.
-I'll get to expanding the hitboxes for them soon.
-I've been running that damage with projectile based hypers since the Sailors. I may consider it, but I don't know.
-Good suggestion. Will consider.
-I'll look into it.
-See above.
-It's set to 35 because that's how long the animation time is for both the pre-dash and the hyper portrait.
-Wait, what? Did I mess this up with the other autocombo moves I've done? cns or cmd? Will fix.
"Hey, your beard's so dumb, it sits on the TV and watches the couch. Haha! That's a good one, Jack!" -Si Robertson
Re: Link updated! (8/31/2013)
#7  August 31, 2013, 08:20:28 pm
  • Hey!
    • USA
Link has been updated!

I applied some of the feedback that was given. Readme does state that the arrows require holding the specific button for the element attached to them (Right below the command for the arrows themselves).

In addition, the moveset has been changed. The command layout has been redone thanks to suggestions by Cybaster, and Link now has the Hookshot thanks to aperson98 for helping on that.
Re: Link updated! (9/2/2013)
#8  September 03, 2013, 03:06:48 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
Updated!

There was a coding error in Link's Boomerang hyper which caused a clone to appear when the boomerang helper was hit by a projectile. Next up, trying to figure out the misalligned Triforce bug.
#9  September 04, 2013, 08:29:06 am
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
To fix the misaligned Triforce (if the bug you see is what I think), you can add these lines to states 3003 and 3004 :
Code:
[State 3033, Pos]
type = posadd
trigger1 = 1
x = ceil(p2dist x)

Also, P2 can recover at the end of Triforce.

And I agree with this :
Removing c.HP move and replacing it with the launcher will make comboing easier and more natural.
#10  September 04, 2013, 08:35:11 am
  • Hey!
    • USA
Got the Triforce issue fixed on my end. As soon as I receive a little something I'm waiting on, I'll get that out. I'm still mulling the idea of removing the standard c.HP and using the launcher in its place. I may go ahead and do it (Meaning some alterations on the something will need to be done), but it'll have to wait. It's 12:30 AM here, and I need sleep. I'll get it done in the morning.