YesNoOk

Making Live "Mortal Kombat" style sprites (Read 29961 times)

Started by Weed and Video Games, January 05, 2015, 06:23:14 pm
Share this topic:
Making Live "Mortal Kombat" style sprites
#1  January 05, 2015, 06:23:14 pm
  • Wowzers!
My Original Post
Is there any info on this here anywhere? Tips and/or tricks? Ive been searching and if so im not sure what to search for.

The Mugen project i'm creating only has original characters like this. process has been fun but i think im doing things wrong because of the many pallets that my char has even tho he is only 1 color.

anywho any info on this or to point me in the right direction will be much appreciated.

So, my process so far is to

1. take video of all wanted normals, specials, supers and finishers for character.
2. take still shots from the video. using the long way of VLC snapshot. or programs will cull option makes things quicker, but sometimes skips animations one might need
3. take the snapshots and make a sprite sheet(s) using gimp then paintshop pro
4. take sprite sheets and make individual sprites using paintshop pro then idraw3
5. open sprite on KFM or another char (sometimes it asks me to share sprite palette)

but i have diff pallet for the frames...
Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:38:04 pm by un0mic
Re: Making Live "Mortal Kombat" style sprites
#2  January 05, 2015, 06:34:36 pm
I'm not really a professional so some tips that may not be THAT useful...

1. Control lighting. In other words, use artificial light preferably.
2. Have a one color background, anything covering the background in a ridiculous color works, like the usual lime green or something like that, the more it differs from the colors of the character the better
3. Do a progressive and controlled reduction of image colors. You can start with 32bit, do some adjustments then reduce to 24/16 and then to 8bit with preferably a pre-made palette based of the character colors.

Well, I suggest you study a bit this theme before going further with the development. Unless you make a good palette it will not go well...
#3  January 05, 2015, 06:40:49 pm
  • Wowzers!

3. Do a progressive and controlled reduction of image colors. You can start with 32bit, do some adjustments then reduce to 24/16 and then to 8bit with preferably a pre-made palette based of the character colors.

This part i dont understand
#4  January 05, 2015, 09:15:39 pm
  • Original characters are my forte.
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/bane84/
My Original Post
Is there any info on this here anywhere? Tips and/or tricks? Ive been searching and if so im not sure what to search for.

The Mugen project i'm creating only has original characters like this. process has been fun but i think im doing things wrong because of the many pallets that my char has even tho he is only 1 color.

anywho any info on this or to point me in the right direction will be much appreciated.

So, my process so far is to

1. take video of all wanted normals, specials, supers and finishers for character.
2. take still shots from the video. using the long way of VLC snapshot. or programs will cull option makes things quicker, but sometimes skips animations one might need
3. take the snapshots and make a sprite sheet(s) using gimp then paintshop pro
4. take sprite sheets and make individual sprites using paintshop pro then idraw3
5. open sprite on KFM or another char (sometimes it asks me to share sprite palette)

but i have diff pallet for the frames...

I suggest you go to my website and look at my Crumpmaster and Hi Voltage characters since it's pretty much exactly what you are doing.  I follow the same process (film the video, break it up into key animation frames, remove the backgrounds from each frame in GIMP to get a set of "clean" images, assign a 256 color palette to them with index 0 being the transparency color).  I use Fighter Factory Ultimate for the character creation process since it is the best tool for character development (in my opinion).
#5  January 05, 2015, 09:20:44 pm
  • Wowzers!

I suggest you go to my website and look at my Crumpmaster and Hi Voltage characters since it's pretty much exactly what you are doing.  I follow the same process (film the video, break it up into key animation frames, remove the backgrounds from each frame in GIMP to get a set of "clean" images, assign a 256 color palette to them with index 0 being the transparency color).  I use Fighter Factory Ultimate for the character creation process since it is the best tool for character development (in my opinion).

ok thanks
#6  January 05, 2015, 09:25:48 pm
  • Wowzers!
 remove the backgrounds from each frame in GIMP to get a set of "clean" images, assign a 256 color palette to them with index 0 being the transparency color). 

ok this part. i tryed with gimp and couldnt get it to work. so i use paint shop pro. id like to learn how u got it to work in gimp.
#7  January 05, 2015, 10:02:12 pm
remove the backgrounds from each frame in GIMP to get a set of "clean" images, assign a 256 color palette to them with index 0 being the transparency color). 

ok this part. i tryed with gimp and couldnt get it to work. so i use paint shop pro. id like to learn how u got it to work in gimp.

Do you have a set of existing sprites?  I could take a look and see.
#8  January 05, 2015, 11:38:30 pm
  • Wowzers!
the sprite sheet or just the individual sprites?
#9  January 05, 2015, 11:45:09 pm
  • Wowzers!

#10  January 05, 2015, 11:47:58 pm
Those sheets aren't the full size.  If you have the full size sheet (or the full size individual sprites), e-mail them to bane84mugen@yahoo.com.

I can create palette images for this sheet and tell you my process.
#11  January 05, 2015, 11:54:50 pm
  • Wowzers!
ok sent
#12  January 06, 2015, 02:01:37 am
I sent you the sprite sheet as a combined image with the proper indexed palette along with some additional feedback.
#13  January 06, 2015, 06:41:52 pm
  • Some day I'll finish this thing...
    • Argentina
I'll start by adding more detail to what raoniluna said, since it's really good feedback.

- This is to make sure that all sprites in the same sheet and across different characters looks consistent. Don't film outside because the time of day will affect the way sprites look.
2. Have a one color background, anything covering the background in a ridiculous color works, like the usual lime green or something like that, the more it differs from the colors of the character the better.
   - This is basically the green-screening technique that everyone uses. If you're planning to have one of your characters use a green colored costume, have them wear a different color and then just fix that latter through palettes (for example, sub-zero's actual costume in MK3 was red instead of blue, because they were using a blue background).
   - Normal picture/film footage usually has way more colors than those that would be efficient in a fighting game. You want to keep color count to a minimum so that you don't have such a hard time making alternate palettes later.

My feedback is the following:
1. The camera seems to be too high up and should be moved closer to the ground... you can tell by looking at the feet, paritcularly. You'd probably want the feet to appear flatter against the ground so it doesn't end up looking like the character's tip-toeing through the stage. Here's a behind the scenes shoot of how they captured graphics in MK1:

2. This is just a guess, but: Move slower. Don't capture moves at real speed. Capture them at a slow motion speed so you can then hand-pick the frames you want to use later for each move (you won't need ALL of them). This will help with the choppiness.

3. Avoid really small details in outfits as they will end up going unnoticed.
#14  January 06, 2015, 09:26:05 pm
  • Wowzers!
I'll start by adding more detail to what raoniluna said, since it's really good feedback.

- This is to make sure that all sprites in the same sheet and across different characters looks consistent. Don't film outside because the time of day will affect the way sprites look.
2. Have a one color background, anything covering the background in a ridiculous color works, like the usual lime green or something like that, the more it differs from the colors of the character the better.
   - This is basically the green-screening technique that everyone uses. If you're planning to have one of your characters use a green colored costume, have them wear a different color and then just fix that latter through palettes (for example, sub-zero's actual costume in MK3 was red instead of blue, because they were using a blue background).
   - Normal picture/film footage usually has way more colors than those that would be efficient in a fighting game. You want to keep color count to a minimum so that you don't have such a hard time making alternate palettes later.

My feedback is the following:
1. The camera seems to be too high up and should be moved closer to the ground... you can tell by looking at the feet, paritcularly. You'd probably want the feet to appear flatter against the ground so it doesn't end up looking like the character's tip-toeing through the stage. Here's a behind the scenes shoot of how they captured graphics in MK1:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG0x7f4BkQY[/youtube]

2. This is just a guess, but: Move slower. Don't capture moves at real speed. Capture them at a slow motion speed so you can then hand-pick the frames you want to use later for each move (you won't need ALL of them). This will help with the choppiness.

3. Avoid really small details in outfits as they will end up going unnoticed.

Wow thanks alot for the info and the vid
#15  January 10, 2015, 09:41:23 pm
  • Wowzers!
the quality went WAY down when making it a gif for some reason. but hey im getting it done

#16  January 10, 2015, 09:48:54 pm
Oh wow that looks cool, heheh. Really should look more into how it's done.

Just guessing, but seems like the shirt had a lot of colors and it hurt the quality of the sprites?
#17  January 10, 2015, 09:50:40 pm
  • Wowzers!
in game it looks way better. i dunno what happened when i made it a gif. ill try to show a screen shot or 2
#18  January 10, 2015, 10:38:20 pm
  • Wowzers!
#19  January 11, 2015, 01:45:29 am
  • Wowzers!
#20  January 11, 2015, 09:52:21 pm
  • Wowzers!