YesNoOk

SubZero718 - SeanAltly Sub-Zero custom edit (Read 13726 times)

Started by Odb718, April 03, 2016, 10:48:02 am
Share this topic:
SubZero718 - SeanAltly Sub-Zero custom edit
New #1  April 03, 2016, 10:48:02 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
A few people on the forum liked the Ermac edit I did, and with Sean taking time off (hopefully) I decided I'd edit his Sub-Zero and Scorpion.
After just a few days of kicking in the edits from my Ermac and reworking Sean's Freeze/Ice Clones behaviors, as well as adding in my Ultra touches n  such, SubZero718 is good enough for a release.

UPDATED AS OF 5/3/2016
So DOWNLOAD him here <<< Right click, save as.
or HERE

Sub Zero's moveset

Specials
Ice Blast
LP - Ice Puddle creates a slip spot that catches the enemy off guard
     Air - Shoots an Ice Blast downwards at a 45 degree angle. Regular freeze if it connects. (pic 2)
MP - Freeze shoots an Ice Blast horizontally.
     Air - Freeze shoots an Ice Blast horizontally.
FP - Anti-Air Freeze shoots an Ice Blast upwards at a 45 degree angle.
     Air - Anti-Super Jump Freeze shoots an Ice Blast upwards at a 45 degree angle.

Ice Clone
LP - Creates an Ice clone and jumps backwards the farthest. All 3 Can be done in air.
MP - Creates an Ice clone and jumps backwards.
FP - Creates an Ice clone and jumps forwards.

Ice Slide
LK - Sub Zero slides across half the screen. Tripping the enemy sending them away.
MK - Sub Zero slides across the screen stopping before the end. Wont hit P2 if he's in the corner.
FK - Sub Zero slides across the entire screen.

Cold Palms
LK, MK, & FK - Charges up a blast of ice. Used to knock back the enemy.

Ultras
Polar Blast
Level 1 - Sub Zero creates a giant ring that will freeze all enemies inside it. Any combo performed will have it's damage tweaked while P2 is frozen. (pic 1)
Ice Spikes
Level 1 - 5 Spikes of Ice shoot up out of the ground sending the enemy away. (pic 3)
Brutality
Level 3 - Auto-combo into a ground freeze uppercut.

Spoiler: Old info (click to see content)

vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:11:12 am by Odb718

GT

Re: SubZero718 - SeanAltly Sub-Zero custom edit
#2  April 03, 2016, 06:35:04 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - gt_ruby
Instead of a skull, why not use the Lin Kuei emblem?!

I think the sprpriority of the FX for state 3100 is inconsistent (Maybe I'm wrong on this). Sometimes, the FX will appear behind Sub-Zero and other times it will appear in front of him.
Yeah Titiln, in fact, You Made Him
#3  April 04, 2016, 08:45:33 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I never noticed that once the Ultra Ice Blast hits it switches to the background. That's been fixed.
I liked the idea of the emblem so I made this update.
Not sure if I really like it or not. It just doesnt have the same impact as the skull.

#4  April 05, 2016, 06:05:10 am
  • If you want peace...Prepare for War
    • USA
I haven't gotten to see the skull for comparison, but the symbol doesn't look bad by any means. In all honesty though, at least for me, I think the MvC style hyper portrait does not look good, at least not for this particular character. The portrait would look decent with a different style character, but it's just too much on screen graphics imo, and doesn't really fit the character, and is also heavily over used by like 90% of characters. Seriously, no offense at all. Just being honest. What about just trying no symbol or portrait of any kind, and just doing a cool effects animation instead? Meaning like an aura (bigger transparent sprite) go around him real quick before the super pause like he's harnessing chi quickly for a power move, or like a zooming effect could be cool too. Those are just some ideas so you know what I mean by "effects animation" since that's pretty vague. Imitation is the purest form of flattery (i.e. MvC), but originality is the purest form of being a bad ass (you). Try something new if possible. Just my two.

lui

#5  April 05, 2016, 06:06:18 am
    • USA
i agree, i dont think the MvC effects fit at all with this type of character
#6  April 05, 2016, 11:16:55 pm
  • busy, busy....
    • Poland
I found a bug. This is what happens when you hit opponent with uppercut and he falls into the ice puddle:

Also, I agree with lui and shulbocka about MVC effects. They look a bit messy.
#7  April 06, 2016, 01:44:01 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I've always used this style of Ultra BG effects for my characters. Ermac has had them. Didnt get a complaint. But it could be because I worked a ton on his portrait and hurried Sub Zero's. I didnt notice soon enough that I hadnt changed the color on his fingers from brown to white. (you can see the edit in the few pics) I was planning on working on it a bit more. I think the lack of the skull actually shows off the Big portrait slide in. So it's far more noticeable with Sub Zero.
As for the TYPE of character. It's a hand drawn character with 6 basics with pop ups and push blocks. It's not MvC, no, but it's close to Capcom VS.

That bug lol. How the heck did I miss that. I'll be sure to edit it out. If you look at the shadow, you can see that P2 is actually in the proper state, just flying through the ground lol. I bet it's a simple velset &/or posset. Do you think he should just hit the ground and take damage? I think that might be a good alternative. It would/could be a little cheap infinite.

Scorpion is probably 90%. I have a ton of IRL problems to handle. Luckily editing mugen characters is a de-stresser for me.

This is the demo video of Ermac. For anyone interested in Sub Zero, their basics are pretty much exactly the same. @shulbocka: You can see the Skull animation in the video at 1:04.
#8  April 06, 2016, 04:11:59 am
  • The other Indian
    • India
An honest opinion is that you should get rid of the ultra bg  effect that appears and replace it with something more like "Pots"  stuff. It clashes too much and stands out.
Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 04:15:13 am by YugaCurry

lui

#9  April 06, 2016, 04:34:00 am
    • USA
I never tried out your ermac until now, I think that the MVC effects don't fit at all with him either
#10  April 06, 2016, 05:21:09 am
  • If you want peace...Prepare for War
    • USA
I wasn't aware you never got complaints about your Ermac using the same hyper effects. Hopefully you don't think that's what I am doing. I do think the same thing with Ermac though. I didn't feel it necessary to bring it up ever for some reason, but I brought it up now with Sub-Zero, because your thread was currently on topic of the hyper effects, and I figured I'd chime in while it was on topic. If you truly are content with the way the hyper effects currently look, by all means brotha. My tastes just long for something different. Another idea I just thought of that would be kind of cool, is have the screen look like it gets frozen real quick around the borders of the screen, like looking through a frozen window/freezer door. You could do something similar with Scorpion, but make the borders of the screens look charred instead of frozen, like burnt piece of paper kind of, and Ermac could use a blurring effect (imitating energy/souls, maybe) or something. Like I said, just offering ideas. If you are perfectly happy as is, I am perfectly happy for you as is. Whatever you decide, I'm still more than happily going to download your stuff and enjoy the shit out of it.

...just watched the video
I do actually think the skull looks pretty good in there, but probably only with Ermac. He is made up of the souls of the fallen, so the skull, especially a green skull being used the way it is does make sense, and looks pretty good too. So if you use the Lin Kuei symbol in the same fashion, that probably would look a whole lot better with Sub-Zero compared to the skull. Again, just my opinion. Good luck with all of it though.
#11  April 10, 2016, 09:19:06 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I've updated Sub-Zero.
The bug with people falling through the floor is gone. After some testing random characters will make noise when they're on the ice patch... I'll have to figure that one out.

I've changed the skull into the symbol. I've also edited the slide in image a bit.
I fixed more than a few things in this release. I've just been working on Scorpion so I'm not sure what I've changed in Sub Zero.

Spoiler: Old (click to see content)

----
Scorpion's been release HERE
@GT: @shulbocka: @walruslui: @YugaCurry:  Do you guys like the symbol more or less than the skull? Should I drop the slide in from all 3 characters? Or do you even mean the blackhole type BG and floor and everything?
Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:23:36 am by Odb718

GT

#12  April 19, 2016, 12:53:24 am
    • USA
    • Skype - gt_ruby
I think the symbol looks much better. If you placed it on Subzero instead of away from him, it'd probably look even cooler.
Yeah Titiln, in fact, You Made Him
New #13  April 19, 2016, 10:38:08 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
Hhmmm, maybe if it was big and shrunk down to his chest? Kind of like Akuma's back kanji...
I think I'll try both ways and make videos or something.

Posted: April 22, 2016, 12:15:06 pm
Pretty big update. I've added 3 new moves.

I've edited, not that great, the sprites for his 3 ice blast moves. I've changed them into air moves. So he can shoot the ice blast towards the ground, straight, and higher in the air, while in the air. I still need to create the changestate for when the downward ice blast hits the ground. Right now it continues through the ground. It still works, just doesnt look as great as it could. Created the animation for when it hits the ground in the 5/4/16 update.

The Ultra bg slide in has been edited out. Right now the symbol in the background just gets bigger during the superpause. Let me know if you guys like the change. The black hole effect is still there. I still plan to see how the symbol looks shrinking and all that.

I was thinking about making the ice blast/double freeze work Sean's original way in 2v2. Sometimes you need to hit the second player (P4) and if the first player is in the way (P2) you'll freeze yourself. Not sure if this would confuse the average person or not. Having 2 systems for the same character isnt always a good plan.
Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:12:36 am by Odb718