YesNoOk

Transparency in Sprites? (Read 11903 times)

Started by Zerox., February 27, 2009, 08:20:14 am
Share this topic:
Transparency in Sprites?
#1  February 27, 2009, 08:20:14 am
  • 3D Modeler thats Learning to Create Characters.
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
Hello everyone. I've run into an issue when trying to import sprites. I have made the sprites individually in .png format with transparencies yet I want them in .pcx format for mugen. So I used Irfranview to convert them to .pcx and imported them in everything seemed fine except the transparencies didn't appear to show when I ticked active transparencies. But I've heard that, that can be unreliable sometimes so I tried it ingame and the character appeared completely blank. What did I do wrong? I didn't try to make a new pallette for it because I don't know how is that what killed me? Or am I just doing several things wrong? I don't know how to make pallettes in FF just so you know.

Is there anywhere you would reccomend I go to learn these things if what needs to be done is just too complex?
I am Zerox admin of Warcraft 3 Unlimited, 3D modeler, and now a new Mugen addict seeking to learn how to create Mugen Characters and stages.
Re: Transparency in Sprites?
#2  February 27, 2009, 08:42:50 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Don't use FF for anything pallete based. Do it properly in your imaging program. Mugen does not accept anything but 256 colour .pcx images. Despite what people believe, it does NOT accept bitmaps. FF does, and it makes it's own pallete and converts them if you do add as BMP. It's not recommended by anyone with a brain because it's very easy to break things with a bad pallete.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  February 27, 2009, 08:52:00 am
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
Okay then how the heck do I make a pallette in an imaging program? Wouldn't using bitmaps kill your transparency as well?
I am Zerox admin of Warcraft 3 Unlimited, 3D modeler, and now a new Mugen addict seeking to learn how to create Mugen Characters and stages.
#4  February 27, 2009, 08:55:34 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
mugen takes index 0 of the pallete as transparency. Setting one in the image program does absolutely nothing.

I have what some people class as a good tutorial on my site. Try out narutorial 1 and see how you go.

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  February 27, 2009, 09:22:50 am
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
Okay thank you I will look into it. Can I have a link to your site?
#6  February 27, 2009, 09:25:47 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Logically speaking, the link to my site is in my profile. I wouldn't advertise my site without giving a link unless there was a simple way to get at it.

Except in release threads. People tend not to pay much attention then and just complain that there's no link.

#7  February 27, 2009, 09:36:46 am
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
Oh duh. XD Sorry just wasn't thinking thank you. Its appreciated.
#8  March 03, 2009, 02:05:36 am
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
Alright well I was able to create a sprite and a supposedly valid pallete via  Fighter Factory but even though it displays the transparency correctly in Fighter Factory It still does another color for the transparency in game. Can anyone help me with this?
#9  March 03, 2009, 05:26:25 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
Save. Add an .act file to your def that matches the pallete you've created. (i will allow that FF can do this) should sort things out a little better.

#10  March 03, 2009, 05:38:07 am
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
It is using the .act assigned in the .def. >.> Like I said displays properly in fighter factory but not in game. When I imported the sprite originally into FF and I said to get the palette from the image it had black rather than my pink color as the transparency. So I switched there position in the palette and while it displays properly in FF it doesn't in game. In game its still the black thats being transparent.
#11  March 03, 2009, 05:49:13 am
  • Legendary XIII
    • New Zealand
The sprite itself still has the pallete as black transparent. You have to actually apply the pallete to the sprite as well. Black still = colour 0 on that image.

#12  March 03, 2009, 05:52:19 am
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
Okay any idea how I would do that with Gimp? I'm having to use Gimp because paintshop pro cost money. XD
#13  March 07, 2009, 02:23:38 am
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Let's say you coloured your background pink, and you want that to be the transparent colour.  In GIMP do the following:

In the second pic above, I haven't dropped colour 63 yet.  When dropped, the colour map should look like this:

Just make sure the colour you're dragging is the one used for the background, move it to index 0, save the image and that should be that!  Hopefully that's what you were after.
Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 02:41:54 am by tunglashor
#14  March 07, 2009, 06:44:40 am
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
Yes thats exactly what I needed thank you so much.
#15  March 07, 2009, 12:24:35 pm
    • Thailand
I never new gimp could just switch the palette around like that, you're fired Tunglasher for not telling me sooner. ;P
#16  March 07, 2009, 01:47:17 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
You can't fire me - I QUIT!
#17  March 07, 2009, 10:02:31 pm
    • wc3r.forumcircle.com/
*rehires tunglashor* Yay he's back! ^^