YesNoOk

Turn 3D models into pixel art (Read 53037 times)

Started by O Ilusionista, February 10, 2015, 08:53:24 pm
Turn 3D models into pixel art
New #1  February 10, 2015, 08:53:24 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Holy mother of God...

Japanese artist Toshihiro Kushizaki has released the Pixel Art Shader: a free Blender shader that should convert any 3D model into old-school pixel art.

To render out a pixel art image, you just need a 3D model in .x format and a palette texture, which defines the set of colours to be used; but you can augment the result with standard texture maps, even including AO.

The image is generated in BMP format, and the results look pretty good, at least in the demo scene.

Other example

There’s a detailed online manual, but like the rest of Kushizaki’s site, it’s in Japanese, so if you’re a non-Japanese-speaker, you’ll need to navigate Google Translate.

Download the Pixel Art Shader on Toshihiro Kushizaki’s website (Automatic English translation)

Read an English-language user-contributed tutorial on using the shader
Source: http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/02/this-free-blender-shader-turns-3d-models-into-pixel-art/

Other examples:

Source: http://lesterbanks.com/2015/02/pixel-art-shader-blender/

Video: http://a.pomf.se/cwpzsw.webm
Source:
Spoiler: NSFW (click to see content)

Tutorial: http://imgur.com/a/qSk5p

Spoiler: images (click to see content)

I haven't tested it yet, but it seems awesome!
Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:42:49 am by AlexSin

lui

Re: Turn 3D models into pixel art
#2  February 10, 2015, 09:03:37 pm
    • USA
holy crap. Batman sprites anyone.
#3  February 10, 2015, 09:05:11 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
Well, time to get to converting the characters from Smash and UMVC3....
#4  February 10, 2015, 09:05:38 pm
wouldn't you have to make a different model for each "sprite" for this to work for mugen
#5  February 10, 2015, 09:09:15 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
#6  February 10, 2015, 09:10:25 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
wouldn't you have to make a different model for each "sprite" for this to work for mugen

you would have to make keyposes. Its not dissimilar how they did banjo kazooie animation, except that it completely reshades it to something more
like pixel art.

edit: not banjo, donkey kong, i had a brain fart.
#7  February 10, 2015, 09:10:44 pm
I'm going to let god handle you people ✞
#8  February 10, 2015, 09:14:33 pm
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1

lui

#9  February 10, 2015, 09:15:12 pm
    • USA
well this should make spriting 3d characters much easier than from scratch atleast. you can just re-touch the sprites afterwards then BOOM.
#10  February 10, 2015, 09:19:35 pm
  • (´ー`)ノ
different pose, seems usable though since we have had some characters made out of model poses, Maverik's characters are like that.
#11  February 10, 2015, 09:29:12 pm
i meant you'd need to feed the program a different model file each time. obviously each file would be based on the same model just posed differently
#12  February 10, 2015, 09:36:39 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
That is indeed an unfiltered 3D render
#13  February 10, 2015, 09:56:22 pm
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
So copping this. I can see this being used for a King of Fighters XIII stage art approach, so I'ma be all over this.

This is a generic forum signature.
#14  February 10, 2015, 09:57:40 pm
  • Shit
    • vadapega.akawah.net/motorroach/
And speaking of KOF XIII, I'm here wondering if that would look good for making KOF XIII styled characters. I'm all for that.

Shit

lui

#15  February 10, 2015, 10:14:37 pm
    • USA
ill give it a test go once i get my new lappy in two weeks.
#16  February 10, 2015, 10:17:41 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Disclaimer: I know nothing about Blender.

If this is a shader, then couldn't the post-rendered result be an uncompressed video from which you could take the frames and process in your favorite photo-editing program? That's how I'd expect it to work anyways. It also says that the application does a batch conversion, generating multiple images. That gives me hope that this thing can process your animations. The successful animation was in the camera_root node apparently. It's possible that only means that the camera can be animated and exported. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to handle timeline animation instead. But yeah... the disclaimer, lol.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#17  February 10, 2015, 10:27:59 pm
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
This looks fricken' amazing!
Definitely gotta check this out after school.
#18  February 10, 2015, 10:31:16 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
I render my sprites from 3D.

In my software, and like many advanced photo/video editors (even Photoshop), there is a "Timeline."  The timeline has an infinite number of ticks - you adjust this according to your needs.

In my case, I only use a few ticks on the timeline, and treat each one as 1 frame of animation.  So if I want my character to turn in 4 frames, I start on the first frame and set a keyframe.  I then skip to the 4th frame, rotate the model, and create another keyframe.  The result is that the programs "tweens" the animation between those other 2 ticks on the timeline.  Using the same method across 8 ticks on the timeline you would have 8 frames, and an overall smoother animation (obviously).  For my avatar, I set a keyframe, jumped to maybe the 16th tick, rotated the model 360 degrees and set another keyframe. Voila.

There are a crapload of components that can be individually keyframed, meaning that everything does not need to happen simultaneously.  With my character, for instance, I often use separate keyframes for the "flaps" on the left/right side.  In this fashion I can have them begin to open while he is turning... so his entire body has keyframes, and one or both flaps have their own keyframes and actions.  The possibilities are limitless.

If you have a skeleton set up you can create whatever animation you want, as fluid as you want, depending on the number of frames you want to use.

In render settings you render one frame at a time, by default.  However you can change it to spit out all the differerent frames as individual files instead.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:40:16 pm by altoiddealer
#19  February 10, 2015, 11:40:58 pm
  • MAX 330 MEGA PRO-GEAR SPEC
    • UK
also my avatar is a few 3D renders layered over each other with some small post-processing.

I'm most concerened about small details with xxxtreme pixel art renders, already you can see on the front of that guy's jacket and the seams on his pant legs are popping in and out of existence in each frame. Not to mention game models would need a lot of modification to take details that are baked into the texture map and make them show up on the geometery.

Guilty Gear sized sprites may work a lot better tho.
Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:47:16 pm by The 100 Mega Shock!
#20  February 11, 2015, 12:04:27 am
Wow! :shocked2: