YesNoOk

Scratchy-Now with Palettes (Read 9591 times)

Started by Carmell, August 11, 2009, 10:42:48 pm
Share this topic:
Scratchy-Now with Palettes
#1  August 11, 2009, 10:42:48 pm
    • USA
My second character Scratchy has been released. FINALLY. He's actually been done gameplay wise for over a month but Ive been doing tedious sprite cleaning trying to make him perfect, but there's still only so much you can do and sometimes it starts to be counter productive so I decided to go ahead and release him.

This character is actually quite intricate and I have to say I'm proud of him. I hope you enjoy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ku8mrm

If someone could make a youtube showcase video for me like Angeldust did for Gombie I would be greatly appreciative. I cant make a video myself.

He comes with an ending.

and here's a link to Scratchy's stage "Goomba Mart"

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bm7plf
Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:41:25 pm by Carmell
Re: Scratchy the shotgun slinging shapeshifting psycho released
#2  August 11, 2009, 10:45:07 pm
    • baragon.webs.com/
Lol@MS Paint stages.

Downloading, will review in a bit.

Edit: Surprisingly smooth animation.

Small portrait is too large.

Nice taunt.

No infinites.

If you're directly on top of the opponent; (see screenie) the shotgun attack misses. Intentional?

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:55:12 pm by Baragøn
#3  August 12, 2009, 12:13:32 am
    • USA
Intentional
#4  August 12, 2009, 02:07:54 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
To be fair, that makes sense. The shotgun's muzzle is past the character, and in real life it wouldn't hit in that sort of situation.
#5  August 12, 2009, 02:35:21 am
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
I may sound like an idiot saying this but that stage looks awesome but I don't like the words on there.
#6  August 12, 2009, 02:35:57 am
To be honest, I'm not quite sure why you'd suddenly go realistic with the shotgun mechanics when your character is a shapeshifting Goomba from Super Mario World.

But whatever, it's your character.
#7  August 13, 2009, 02:55:01 pm
    • USA
Well EX Shadow if it makes you feel any better I didnt have any kind of weird intent behind that line. It's just a dumb joke.

Here I made you a .sff patch that removes the line altogether

http://www.sendspace.com/file/95nimm

and still looking for someone to be nice and make youtube video.
I'm afraid I cant make one myself
#8  August 13, 2009, 03:59:46 pm
  • Always seeking perfection...
    • animeneo.deviantart.com/
Nice work!  ;)
#9  August 13, 2009, 04:41:46 pm
#10  August 15, 2009, 03:29:02 pm
    • USA
Wow 2 people made youtube videos of Scratchy and didnt even tell me.

However they both seem to think he's overpowered.

WELL
Scratchy may seem like a tank, but for every advantage there's a weakness.

Here are the big 2.

The pendulum blade (heavy kick in the air) is completely invincible when he hits the full blade frame and even stays that way for a moment on the ground. This is intentional, however if you block or dodge and then just wait a moment you can nail him as he transforms back

The spike morph (where he slides across the bottom of the screen) is also completely invincible in the final frame. However once again he has a reversion animation that is intentionally set up to let you have a free shot at him.

Why would I build in weaknesses? For balancing issues.

additionally blocking heavy punch or medium punch usually lets you nail him if you're fast since only the end of his fists have actual clsns.

Even his extra powerful super is also set up with a weakness. Besides having a harder motion(I know not much of a weakness) Scratchy has to cock his arm back giving you more time to see it coming and easily block it.

One more little nuance I'll mention is unlike most characters Scratchy's punches decrease in damage. Quick punch actually hurts the most.

The idea behind this is he has a set density and as he stretches his arms out further the weaker it gets
Re: Scratchy-Now with Palettes
#11  November 10, 2009, 07:44:27 pm
    • USA
I reworked all of Scratchy's sprites (Ugh) and finally gave him a full set of 12 palettes. It's not complete perfection but you probably wont notice unless you were examining the sprites up close and I was afraid to work on it anymore after my imaging program started undoing my work.

The link in the first post has changed to reflect this.

Anyway enjoy.

Stupid Fact: Most of his palettes are meant to reflect the color of the leaves in his tree winpose.