YesNoOk

Commander Ayu released (2009-08-23)! (Read 6493 times)

Started by Seravy, August 23, 2009, 02:13:36 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Commander Ayu released (2009-08-23)!
#21  August 25, 2009, 05:19:56 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
- First of all, I don't know if you deleted the helper.cns on purpose or not, but there's some huge debug flood about Ayu not having any helpers.
- Big portrait is the wrong size and looks pixeled.
- In the corner : qcf+a -> press back to walk back a little -> Smash "a" up to 4 times -> qcf+a -> repeat :
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
- Dunno what gameplay you're going for exactly, I've seen quite some discussion about how unbalanced your stuff was, but you wanted it to fight Touhou stuff... anyway, I think the dash is really too fast, and the lack of CLSN on some part of it makes it unbalanced. Plus, why does it pass through the opponent ?
- Smashing X on a cornered opponent can go up to 8 hits, which deals too much damage :
- Red CLSN during Air Throw is too big IMO. Plus, it smashes the opponent when he's out of the screen rather than on the border.
- Debug flood : Warning, player ayu in state 191, changed ot invalid state 190.
- Hitpause for the enemy during Taiyaki Throw is really low.
- Why is Taiyaki Throw done with B and Taiyaki Jump with Y ? Is it like that in the game, or did you make up the commands ? I think they're all over the place, which makes it hard to remember what combination does what.
- Magic Shield would look nicer without shadow on the FX.
- Taiyaki Rain needs a lot of power for few damage IMO. And it lacks sounds, envshake and hitpause.
- Laser Cannon would look nicer without shadow on the FX.
- Laser Cannon has almost no startup time ! It doesn't leave much chance/time to the opponent to block even if he's far away.
- Raging Smash sends the opponent to invalid states, and smashes the opponent out of the stage, as Air Throw.
- Stabbing Spree has some strange thing after the Super Portrait disappears : the opponent is still standing (before falling) while Ayu is already on the ground. You could also make it add hits, as a Shun Goku Satsu, especially since we hear stabs.
- Whatever the power I have, I should not be able to insta-kill by doing Feather Storm -> Laser Cannon -> Laser Cannon :
#22  August 25, 2009, 09:22:02 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
- First of all, I don't know if you deleted the helper.cns on purpose or not, but there's some huge debug flood about Ayu not having any helpers.
I planned to code the helpers there, but kinda forgot about the file and never used it in the end. All the helper code is in the ayu.cns file instead. The debug spam is caused by the CMD file, this part of code :
triggerall = (numhelper(9000) = 0) || (Helper(9000),StateNo=9004)
triggerall = (numhelper(9100) = 0) || (Helper(9100),StateNo=9004)
triggerall = (numhelper(9200) = 0) || (Helper(9200),StateNo=9004)
This code part is necessary, and I have no idea how to change it to work properly without a spam.
- Big portrait is the wrong size and looks pixeled.
I wonder if there is a standard size, but yeah, now that I look at it, it's a bit too small.
- In the corner : qcf+a -> press back to walk back a little -> Smash "a" up to 4 times -> qcf+a -> repeat :
Now this is why I want people to give feedback. There is no way I'll discover everything like this myself. Will be fixed ASAP. Why did I add the F into the hitflag in the first place hmm...that's definitely a mistake to do.
- Dunno what gameplay you're going for exactly, I've seen quite some discussion about how unbalanced your stuff was, but you wanted it to fight Touhou stuff... anyway, I think the dash is really too fast, and the lack of CLSN on some part of it makes it unbalanced. Plus, why does it pass through the opponent ?
I have about zero experience in melee characters, but I wanted to make it fast and grazing. Didn't realize there were missing clsn boxes, I'll add them. This is the downside of starting out with from another author's sff and air file, they like to mess up the clsns. I'll recheck all the animations again.
(Hmm now that I look at it more closely, quite a few of the clsn2 boxes start a few pixels behind into the character giving her an advantage, I'll fix that too.)
I like the quick speed, however. Slow grazing is not very useful, the opponent will just move or teleport away.
- Smashing X on a cornered opponent can go up to 8 hits, which deals too much damage :
Corners are evil, no wonder I prefer to make projectile and magic based characters. They can't have such problems. Again, what the hell is F doing in the hitflag here, will be removed. I'm so used to projectiles having F in them I didn't even realize.
- Debug flood : Warning, player ayu in state 191, changed ot invalid state 190.
Fixed
- Hitpause for the enemy during Taiyaki Throw is really low.
Intentional. Nothing more annoying than projectiles with a long hittime. If you mean just the pausetime to make the hit more noticeable, I'll add some.
- Why is Taiyaki Throw done with B and Taiyaki Jump with Y ? Is it like that in the game, or did you make up the commands ? I think they're all over the place, which makes it hard to remember what combination does what.
I was thinking about the same thing, in the end I decided on the y. (b is for the other two taiyaki attacks that are projectiles, but y is for the other two jump attacks, and this is a jump, non-projectile one so I decided on the y). I did make up the commands, but I also had to be careful not to make them conflict with each other, while at the same time avoiding overly hard to enter ones. This often results in unusual arrangements.
- Magic Shield would look nicer without shadow on the FX.
True, I wanted it that way as well.
Taiyaki Rain needs a lot of power for few damage IMO. And it lacks sounds, envshake and hitpause.
It doesn't even use power, it uses the charge bar. Which you usually can't spend if your opponent doesn't kill your helper and doesn't use magic you need to shield against. The damage does seem to vary a bit too much, I've seen it do from 100 to about 250, depending on where the opponent is standing and how many of them hits. While it's not much, considering this is just an extra way to use your excess charge bar and not the main purpose for it, I think it it's not that bad, so I only increased the damage a little bit, from 27 to 32. Sound,etc are now added.
- Laser Cannon would look nicer without shadow on the FX.
They don't have...oh wait the lasers don't but the light which it is coming out from does. I'll remove it.
- Laser Cannon has almost no startup time ! It doesn't leave much chance/time to the opponent to block even if he's far away.
Lasers are fast...but yeah this is a bit too fast. Will be fixed. And it needs a superpause too.
- Raging Smash sends the opponent to invalid states, and smashes the opponent out of the stage, as Air Throw.
Now that is interesting, never happened when the AI used the moves, I'll check it....hmm definitely had some bugs in it, now I wonder why was it ever working before.
- Stabbing Spree has some strange thing after the Super Portrait disappears : the opponent is still standing (before falling) while Ayu is already on the ground. You could also make it add hits, as a Shun Goku Satsu, especially since we hear stabs.
Fixed both.
- Whatever the power I have, I should not be able to insta-kill by doing Feather Storm -> Laser Cannon -> Laser Cannon :
Added a second of delay to the end of the Feather Storm to prevent hitting the opponent again before it ends. Changed the velocities of feather to hit more efficiently, and reduced the damage per hit a bit, so the damage is now more stable, usually between 450-550. Reduced the additional damage for the red version. Reduced the damage of the Laser Cannon, was a bit too high for 1000 power.

I've uploaded the fixed version.
Thank you VERY MUCH for your feedback. Let this be a lesson for the people who keep whining and posting hate videos about my characters : If you point out the problems of the characters directly to me, they'll be fixed. If you just post a video, before even telling me something is wrong, chances are, I won't even know about it. And everyone will be stuck with the bad version. I don't have the capacity, nor the skills to playtest every character I make till 100% perfection. I'm especially good at overlooking the details on most everything, even while I'm testing, so unless you tell me I WON'T KNOW.
#23  August 25, 2009, 10:11:33 pm
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
That's why Cybaster is the name I always drop when referring to ideal feedback. He knows what he's talking about without being a jerk. A lot of people could learn a thing or two from the guy.

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:42:43 pm by SeanAltly
#24  August 25, 2009, 10:37:32 pm
    • Hungary
Yeah, he seems to have a good eye for even the smallest details. A complete opposite of me.
#25  August 25, 2009, 10:46:40 pm
    • France
LOL, anyway :

I wonder if there is a standard size, but yeah, now that I look at it, it's a bit too small.
The standard size is 140x120 pixels.

Corners are evil, no wonder I prefer to make projectile and magic based characters. They can't have such problems.
Yeah, whenever you have a melee attack, always check for the behaviour in the corner. Many moves work perfectly in normal conditions, but get completely fucked up once in the corner (infinites, huge cornerpush, wrong binding, etc.)

That's why Cybaster is the name I always drop when referring to ideal feedback. He knows what he's talking about without being a jerk. A lot people could learn a thing or two from the guy.
Thanks. ;P About the jerk part though, it's not always true. When I give feedback and the feedback is taken in account in the next update or answered cleverly if something was not taken care of, then I'm all good with the creator. But when I get a "LOL my char is perfect & doesn't need fixing u sux" kind of answer, I go on a bashing fest (Kong or Alexlexus and IMT in general know about that).

I can safely say that Seravy has passed the feedback test with much success. ^_^
#26  August 25, 2009, 11:27:04 pm
    • Hungary
The standard size is 140x120 pixels.
Hmm almost. I ended up with 160x142 pixels this time. This is nice to remember, I've seen portraits of about twice that size in otherwise good characters. I think it depends on space of the screenpack the author is using, some have a huge space for portraits. Even the one I'm using has a space wider than 120 pixels I think.

I'm really bad at testing so quality feedback is always welcome.
#27  August 26, 2009, 04:43:29 am
Moral of the story: Give peace a chance.

Personally, I find solace in knowing that no matter how bad people say you are, at least you aren't this guy.
#28  August 26, 2009, 09:04:36 am
    • Hungary
Oh,my god...
#29  August 26, 2009, 12:14:48 pm
    • France
- Special Punch can still juggle the opponent. Smashing a in the corner combo involving Special Punch was not an obligation. I can still perform Special Punch over and over again by going backwards a little between each motion (to avoid going on the other side of the opponent).
#30  August 26, 2009, 01:09:43 pm
    • Hungary
Thanks, fixed, and reuploaded. I also removed the F hitflag from the bomb just to be on the safe side.
#31  August 27, 2009, 09:34:51 am
Not a fan of chibi characters but I'll give a test. Feedback later. Thanks for the release Seravy!
#32  August 27, 2009, 09:45:36 am
    • Hungary
You are welcome. However, she is not a Chibi character, I think. Loli yes, Chibi, no. Chibi means smaller than normal size, something like this for example :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VqvxXM_CFU
She is about half the size of a normal Patchouli.
This Ayu is the same size as the original.
#33  August 30, 2009, 08:35:55 am
I think it will be better if you will put the bar on the floor rather on the middle of the screen. It's not really a bug. It's just against my preferences that's all.

Nice character!
#34  August 30, 2009, 10:51:35 am
    • Hungary
Probably an optional setting would be the best. Some lifebars use the lower area of the screen to display the power.
Ok, I've uploaded a version where you can set the bar position in the basic.cns file, right after the AI level setting.
#35  August 31, 2009, 08:34:11 am
I'm using the Guilty Gear X life bar right now and I wonder why you're character has another power bar. What's the purpose of those bars? Is the update can also be applied on your other characters? I downloaded some of your characters and want it to include on my roster but I don't know what to do with bars.
#36  August 31, 2009, 09:40:45 am
    • Hungary
The bars have a different purpose for the characters, the common thing is, they represent a different kind of resource than power.
Ayu : It is called Charge Bar, and you gain it from hitting the opponent in melee combat. It's used for the magic shield, projectile reflection, bomb, helper summon and taiyaki rain moves.
Vanilla : Angel bar, used for the Striker moves, and the self-healing and buffing move, charges itself automatically.
IAMP Serika, Seravy, CCS characters : Used for projectile moves.
Nanoha, Vita : Used for the larger magical blasts and some other moves that would be way too strong without a cost.

The main purpose of these bars is to be able to add moves that don't use the power bar, but are limited in use some way to prevent endless spamming.
I'll add the option for the rest of the characters.
#37  September 02, 2009, 11:47:06 am
I'll wait for the updates! Thank you very much!