YesNoOk

Oolong from Yie Ar Kung Fu Beta Release and Update. (Read 7604 times)

Started by レオンハルト, May 24, 2010, 05:29:16 pm
Share this topic:
Oolong from Yie Ar Kung Fu Beta Release and Update.
#1  May 24, 2010, 05:29:16 pm
  • "Let Us Cling Together."
Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:36:41 am by ArcTheLad
Re: Oolong from Yie Ar Kung Fu Beta Release and Update.
#2  May 25, 2010, 05:34:25 pm
  • Musician-Stage creator-Spriter-IFF Combat adviser.
    • Indonesia
    • www.youtube.com/user/EXmugen
Seriously...? Wow...! Childhood memories...  :)
#3  May 25, 2010, 09:49:12 pm
Finally, well done, ArcTheLad.  It's another Konami protagonist, but M.U.G.E.N needs more Konami characters (especially protagonists from arcade versions, if there is any).

Oolong is specifically from the arcade version of Yie Ar Kung-Fu.  In the Famicom and MSX versions, it's Lee, who the protagonist of Martial Champion (also by Konami), Jin, was inspired by, as well as Ryu from the SF series.  M.U.G.E.N deserves to have both Lee and especially Oolong, because Yie Ar Kung-Fu is considered by many to be the basis of modern-fighting games, while Capcom's Street Fighter 1 is like Yie Ar Kung-Fu on crack.
My Mugen Wish List would include protagonists, mascots and other iconic characters with everything they have brought straight from their source with little or no editing.
#4  May 25, 2010, 10:32:38 pm
Thanks for the comments. I refused to do Lee because he doesn't have that many moves and attacks. And Oolong looks way more appealing. Stay tuned for updates.
#5  May 25, 2010, 10:48:14 pm
Lee was already converted by SUGIO, so you don't need to.

Anyway, I just tested out your Oolong, and here are some things he needs for his update:

* He rarely freezes when hit at a certain time in a certain part of him.
* Like your other creations, Oolong's AI is weak, but if you don't have enough patience in learning how to create a strong AI for him, then perhaps someone else will create an AI patch for him.
* Make him jump a little higher.
* You may want to make the stage's background music silent while his intro and winning taunts are being performed.  I'm not talking about his dinging music, I'm talking about making any stage's background music muted during his intro and winning taunts.
* Add his voice samples and the hit sparks from the Yie Ar Kung-Fu arcade to him, like how Leonardo added point numbers (e.g. 1000, 2000, etc.) to his arcade version of Keiji Thomas from the Kung-Fu Master arcade.
* Add his "Xiè Xiè! Perfect!" quote (which sounds like "Chey-shay! Perfect!") for his winning taunt that performs after defeating an opponent without being hurt.

Hope this helps.
My Mugen Wish List would include protagonists, mascots and other iconic characters with everything they have brought straight from their source with little or no editing.
#6  May 26, 2010, 12:28:20 am
Thanks I'll keep those feedbacks in mind. Wish I knew how to rip sounds for him though.
#7  May 26, 2010, 01:08:48 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
* Like your other creations, Oolong's AI is weak, but if you don't have enough patience in learning how to create a strong AI for him, then perhaps someone else will create an AI patch for him.

Gameplay before AI.
#8  May 26, 2010, 05:10:44 am

Gameplay before AI.

Right, the gameplay needs to match its original counterpart. I've seen some gameplay videos of the arcade game showing some combos.

Another thing the character needs is a larger version that's like twice (X=2 / Y=2) as large as the current small version for fighting against larger characters IF it matters to the MUGEN user.

Thanks I'll keep those feedbacks in mind. Wish I knew how to rip sounds for him though.

Ask someone like Basara-kun, Leonardo or someone who created retro arcade characters.  Otherwise, ask XCB if you can borrow some hit sparks from either his version of Fan or Star, which are available at Random Select.
Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:17:53 am by 1983parrothead
#9  May 28, 2010, 10:37:38 am
Oolong Updated 5/28/2010. Check first post.
#10  September 27, 2010, 09:58:37 pm
Oolong Updated 9/27/10.
#11  September 27, 2010, 10:08:40 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
Wow, I`ve missed that!

This is total classic.
#12  September 27, 2010, 10:41:12 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com
I`ve tested it now:

- The walk anim is wrong. Since he is standing with both feets separated, you need to start the walk anim with the other frame
- the 6 button isn't a good idea, but this is me.
- When you ko him, he flies in a very weird way. Make it just drop to the ground, like the original
#13  September 27, 2010, 10:50:43 pm
Thanks for the feedback. His walk animations seems okay since he only has 2 frames of animation. Bear with me for a while, I'm still learning how to code characters. I'll see what I can come up with.
Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:19:10 pm by ArcTheLad
#14  September 27, 2010, 11:24:45 pm
Enlarge him, and make his opponents freeze like he does in the game, and include the hit sparks and his winning taunt.
#15  September 27, 2010, 11:47:07 pm
I've already enlarge him in this update.
#16  October 01, 2010, 08:03:46 pm
    • Peru
Millie, "Ozy and Millie" said:
"I think there are really three types of people: "Glass is half-full" sorts of people, "Glass is half-empty" sorts of people,
and people who will spit into the glass until that's fixed."