YesNoOk

Devil May Cry Office, Day & Night (Read 19033 times)

Started by Boradis, April 18, 2011, 03:06:56 am
Share this topic:
Devil May Cry Office, Day & Night
#1  April 18, 2011, 03:06:56 am
  • Keepin' it SSStylish!
    • USA
Here are my very first (and very basic) stages based on the 2007 "Devil May Cry" anime. Click the below thumbnails to enlarge.

(Note: The artifacts down the left hand side of the preview images are a product of the screen grabbing, not part of the stages themselves.)

Nighttime

Daytime

Download.

From the readme.txt

DEVIL MAY CRY OFFICE DAY & NIGHT V. 0.2

This is a pair of very simple stages for M.U.G.E.N. 1.0. They are based on screen grabs from the 2007 "Devil May Cry" anime, edited with Photoshop and GIMP (to extend the night version's height) and converted using Cybaster's Stage Creation Tool.

I used the 256 indexed color method so that special moves (such as Dante's lengthy Quicksilver) do not entirely white out the background. Naturally there is some color loss, but I think it's reasonably well hidden by the brickwork of the backgrounds.

The stages are sized to 1000x750 px to give the characters airspace for juggling on the night version. The stages have been tested on my 1280x800 monitor and seem to work fine for me. Contact info is below if you have issues.

I've included the two versions of "Divine Hate," AKA "Battle Music 2" from the DMC3 soundtrack as background music.

KNOWN BUGS AND ISSUES:

* Shadows sometimes don't always properly connect with the character's feet. This is most obvious when Bugya's Dante walks backwards during his "Craaazy? Huh!" and "SSSweet, baby!" taunts.

* No airspace in the daytime version. I'm not really sure what to do about this as extending the image's height would be rather tough, and right now the right and left sides nicely align with the walls.

* No stage animations. I plan to make the night version's sign blink the letter 'D' in the next version. I can't think of much to add to the day version.

THANKS

Cybaster for his advice, the stage creation tutorial and his Stage Creation Tool.
aokmaniac13 for ImageSplitter.

FEEDBACK

For discussion of these stages please visit this thread at the Mugen Fighter's Guild Forum:

(link to this thread)

Or contact me directly:

(my e-mail)

Thanks for trying these out and happy demon slaying.

Boradis
April, 2011
Wow. I've never seen a talking mutt before.
Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:21:09 am by Boradis

GLB

Re: Devil May Cry Office, Day & Night
#2  April 18, 2011, 03:57:25 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
I think they are pretty good. The fact that you do plan to animate some of them intrigues me. Although, you mentioned imagesplitter? I used to use that when I first started, now I just highly wouldn't recommend it. Try using a jigsaw method. Also, not being able to think of anything for the day? I assume they are on layer static image stages, no? If so, then try cutting out the background behind the railing above the bar and re adding it in as a seperate delta, or something along those lines so you can have some deltas.
Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 04:01:15 am by GLB
#3  April 19, 2011, 04:42:27 am
  • Keepin' it SSStylish!
    • USA
I think they are pretty good. The fact that you do plan to animate some of them intrigues me. Although, you mentioned imagesplitter? I used to use that when I first started, now I just highly wouldn't recommend it. Try using a jigsaw method. Also, not being able to think of anything for the day? I assume they are on layer static image stages, no? If so, then try cutting out the background behind the railing above the bar and re adding it in as a seperate delta, or something along those lines so you can have some deltas.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah they're static, but since I just started reading about making stages on like Thursday or Friday the fact I've even got that functioning tickles me to no end. But I realize they're still kinda dull to anyone who isn't a raging DMC fanboy like me.

I used the ImageSplitter method since it was described as the "intermediate" option in Stage Creation Tool. I'll take a whack at the jigsaw method next.

As for separate deltas for the day version I think I'm pretty far from being able to do that. But you mean cutting out the far background (the skyline) so it moves on a separate plane from the foreground to produce a 3D effect, correct? That would be very cool and would give me motivation to learn to do that. Thanks.

I plan to tackle animations next (first the sign in the night version, and someone else suggested fog on the ground), and then I'll look into deltas. Unless deltas are actually easier to do?
Wow. I've never seen a talking mutt before.

GLB

#4  April 19, 2011, 05:07:47 am
    • network.mugenguild.com/glb/
It moves on a seperate plane and looks more realistic. But yes, good to see someone with inspiration finally. The fact that you nailed stage code in such a short amount of time sparks my interest quite a bit. I'm interested to see what you have in store for us. Good luck on your future updates and creations. I'll be keeping in touch, I like your work and your attitude.  :sugoi:

As far as deltas and animations go on a difficulty level, they vary. For instance, I could take a simple foreground sprite with a trans color in it's background, and add my own background to it simply giving it a different delta. Sounds pretty easy, and imo is pretty easy. Animations differ on their difficulty as well, depending on how many sprites they may be or how complex your animation is. If you need any help, feel free to pm me.